FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dynamically generated databases .

promit2014
Since frihost support unlimited databases can my application dynamically create databases ???
rx9876
promit2014 wrote:
Since frihost support unlimited databases can my application dynamically create databases ???

Maybe.
I don't remember it clearly,
but I installed phpbb once, and it created its own database ( or just tables).
badai
promit2014 wrote:

yes you can as long the total disk space usage not exceeding the limit. can't remember how much, but i only use about 2-3% only.
Marcuzzo
Application as in web application? I'm not sure if you can create the db's directly from source.
besides, why would you need more then 1 database?
Peterssidan
You can create tables but I don't think you can create databases. The only place I know of where you can create new databases is from within DirectAdmin.
codersfriend
I don't think it would be a good idea to create databases via webpage here since PHPmyAdmin is also restricted to that. But somehow you can still generate tables. Why not create the databases you need first?
amagard
My DirectAdmin Panel says I have 1 database ( to make that clear: we are talking about mysql databases here ) and my maximum is unlimited, thus I could create as many databases as I want as long as I don't exceed my disk max. space.
Having multiple databases makes sense to clearly separate data between applications and can also get you performance benefits ( two smaller databases respond faster than 1 huge one ).
Marcuzzo
amagard wrote:
My DirectAdmin Panel says I have 1 database ( to make that clear: we are talking about mysql databases here ) and my maximum is unlimited, thus I could create as many databases as I want as long as I don't exceed my disk max. space.
Having multiple databases makes sense to clearly separate data between applications and can also get you performance benefits ( two smaller databases respond faster than 1 huge one ).

between applications, yes, but for a single application this is overkill.
a while ago I created a database and web application for somebody and after a while another person wanted to have the same application. because my database was ( swag alert), well, normalized... Very Happy I could use the same database over and over. so to make my point, if you've followed the rules of database normalisation you can perfectly use 1 database for multiple organisations and they couldn't see the data of the other organisation.

when you've got different applications you obviously don't want to use the same database because the application's data could be structured differently.

back on topic, by my knowledge, on frihost, the only place to create a database is in directadmin.
your user account (being the user context of your php script running on the server) doesn't have the rights to create databases, only CRUD tables and records, etc...