FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

phpBB Version and FriHost php Compatibility

Possum
Hi

After years of neglect I'm financially getting back to my FriHost site. I just installed phpbb and got this message..

Quote:
The version of PHP on this server will no longer be supported by future versions of phpBB.

Is this going to be a big problem...?

thx
deanhills
Looks as though you won't be able to upgrade phpBB after this installation. Doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing unless there are major security updates in the upgrades.

What server are you on? Do you know which version php it is on?

In the meanwhile I'm curious. Why did you choose phpBB? Why not myBB? Not that the one is that much better than the other, but perhaps myBB doesn't have the same requirements regarding php.

OK I checked. Looks as though myBB is flexible within limits:
http://docs.mybb.com/Requirements.html
Possum
I really like the look of myBB but I have invested too much time in getting to know phpbb. But it does look good..

thx.. I will revisit it latter..
Peterssidan
I don't think you have to worry. Just look at Frihost that hasn't upgraded phpBB in years. If there happen to be some very important update that you need but can't install you will just have to be prepared to fix it manually.
Possum
Frihost is amazing how it always looks the same. lol

But I like it that way Smile
RosenCruz
phpBB 2.0.x was very great and reliable forum software imho. Today one has to be careful when choosing forum software. Cool
Possum
This forums works for me. I am happy to keep pup my interest in phpBB.
deanhills
Possum wrote:
This forums works for me. I am happy to keep pup my interest in phpBB.
Good to hear Possum. Would be nice if you shared any new developments. Which version did you decide to go for in the end?
Possum
Quote:
Which version did you decide to go for in the end?

I've got the latest version. Sadly I deleted the previous ones...
RosenCruz
deanhills wrote:
Looks as though you won't be able to upgrade phpBB after this installation. Doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing unless there are major security updates in the upgrades.

What server are you on? Do you know which version php it is on?

In the meanwhile I'm curious. Why did you choose phpBB? Why not myBB? Not that the one is that much better than the other, but perhaps myBB doesn't have the same requirements regarding php.

OK I checked. Looks as though myBB is flexible within limits:
http://docs.mybb.com/Requirements.html

MyBB development is also kind of on stall actually. Their development team is having some ups and downs recently Idea