FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Climate Change report from Chuuk islands, Micronesia

I'm located about 7 degrees North, 151 degrees East. My islands are named - Chuuk State and we're part of Federated States of Micronesia which is a member nation of the United Nations. Our flag also flys alongside the many flags of member nations of the UN outside its headquarters in New York City. If you want more info on this, google is your friend.

I used to live in the United States for over 10 years, worked at a Fortune 500 technology corporation for 5 years, and have since returned home to settle down and contribute my skills to my society.

These past few months that I've been back, I have started to hear the local people, especially fishermen and farmers lament about how the it feels like the days are getting hotter on sunny days. More people here are beginning to notice a very big change just in the way the days are getting unusually hotter during the summer months. When I get a chance, I will try to look for any data that is published online which can correlate to the local observation in regards to hotter days.

We've also been informed by our government to expect El Nino this year. So far, there have been no official mobilization of resources or efforts to prepare for an unexpected drought. Perhaps maybe the governments are taking a "wait and see" approach as is usually the general mentality in the Pacific on matters such as these.

Anyway, if anyone is visiting Chuuk, email me if you need a local guide to take you to the ancient human sacrificial altar. Unlike our Melanasian and Polynesian cousins who practiced ritual cannibalism, the Chuukese people did not eat the flesh, they only drank the blood which they believed was the Elixir of Life.