FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

OpenOffice or LibreOffice

Possum
What is the best of these 2 in your opinion ?

Thx
Peterssidan
I use LibreOffice because that's what most of the free software community started doing after Oracle bought Sun, and it's still the standard office suit in most Linux distributions. I haven't tried Apache OpenOffice yet so I can't really say much about it but I guess it's pretty similar to LibreOffice. Both are based on the same codebase from the original OpenOffice.org project and LibreOffice has even borrowed some code from Apache OpenOffice so the differences are most likely small.

LO=LibreOffice, AOO=Apache OpenOffice
Possum
LibreOffice does look good. Free-er the better..

thx

P.S. I looked for their forums but couldn't find any. Even OpenOffice forums are gone. Do oyu know where they are..

thx
codersfriend
I think open office still has better performance and uses less resources. also they are now currently supported by apache since sun microsystems is no longer available
Possum
Quote:
currently supported by apache since sun microsystems is no longer available

I though Oracle owned or managed OpenOffice... Isn't that the reason LibreOffice came into being.. I must admit I haven't followed OpenOffice for some time. But I need it for the spread sheet now..
Peterssidan
Possum wrote:
Quote:
currently supported by apache since sun microsystems is no longer available

I though Oracle owned or managed OpenOffice... Isn't that the reason LibreOffice came into being.. I must admit I haven't followed OpenOffice for some time. But I need it for the spread sheet now..

Oracle wasn't very interested in OpenOffice so they gave the code and trademarks (including the openoffice.org domain) to the Apache Software Foundation. That's why it's called "Apache OpenOffice" when you go to openoffice.org now.
Possum
Hope they do the same with MySQL....
Marcuzzo
Possum wrote:
Hope they do the same with MySQL....

It actually is Open source but under specific terms:

dev.mysql.com wrote:
MySQL open source software is provided under the GPL License.
OEMs, ISVs and VARs can purchase commercial licenses.

Back on topic, a few years ago I used OpenOffice ( this was before LibreOffice started ) and liked it a lot but stopped using it because I bought a Office 2010 license.
Now I've got a laptop from the office and it has office 2013 installed so I don't need this alternative anymore
Possum
thx everyone.. Although I like the idea of LibreOffice as I think LibreOffice was made because OO was too close to Oracal. OO seems to be free again...
zimmer
Possum wrote:
What is the best of these 2 in your opinion ?

Thx

Based on my experience i will go for open office. very similar with Microsoft product and very easy to used and almost similar functions with microsoft.

Updates is also frequent so that you will not behind with technology.

I have not use libreoffice so i cannot say anything about it.

I hope that helps and you can get a choice.
loveandormoney
I prefer OpenOffice.
More easy.
Peterssidan
loveandormoney wrote:
I prefer OpenOffice.
More easy.

In what way is it more easy? I'm curious.
sinjhc
seems there is no difference between open office and libre office.
codegeek
I find LibreOffice messes up the formatting on some documents created with Microsoft Word. I wonder why that is. Does anybody have any idea how to make it fully compatible with docx files (including the formatting)?
Blummer
More openoffice. Seen Libreoffice, it is ok, but I agree with the last user. Openoffice is more precise when it comes to document formatting.
Integricall
Both suck to a big extent when opening and saving .docx and .xlsx files. The entire layout gets mutilated, but OpenOffice does it the least.

The program that worked the best for me is actually Kingsoft Office Free 2013. It works A LOT like MS Office 2007.
Peterssidan
If you use OpenOffice or LibreOffice I recommend you save the documents in the OpenDocument format (.odt, .ods, etc.) for best results.
ra-dio
LibreOffice seems to be developde much more than OpenOffice. It works well with all mainstreem linux distributions.
nicokant
Peterssidan wrote:
If you use OpenOffice or LibreOffice I recommend you save the documents in the OpenDocument format (.odt, .ods, etc.) for best results.

Always prefer open formats, Microsoft Office formats are closed source technologies, so it's not easy for LibreOffice and OpenOffice to implement it. Contrarily all office suites implements open formats such as .odt .ods!
Da Rossa
The differences as of today, speaking of the under-the-hood features, are not significant between LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice. But LibreOffice has got more popular and more user friendly. Even a handful of goverment agencies here in Brazil are switching to it.

In fact, LibreOffice is a good piece of software. It is not Microsoft Office, not as look-fancy or powerful, but gets the job done after you readapt.
fiat126p
I use LibreOffice because it's basically a free software and I'm not a wealthy person myself, at least not now since I'm an unemployed academy student yet. As someone pointed it out, OpenOffice deals with things better when it comes to document formatting but since popular Linux distros are including Libre- instead of OpenOffice as an office suite, I'd just go with LibreOffice. It's handy for PDF-s, anyway. ;]
Blummer
I've used Libreoffice on another computer for a few years so far. For some reason the loading time is not too short, but I've still enjoyed all the functions of this package.
loveandormoney
The most important thing for us:
Its easy.

One second more or two seconds more for booting are not so important for us.
RosenCruz
Used both. Microsoft's paid Office suite is the best. May be it is because I have started using these stuff on MS Office and I am used to it. The menu, interface, buttons, shortcuts and everything. Hard to adapt other stuff.
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
Used both. Microsoft's paid Office suite is the best. May be it is because I have started using these stuff on MS Office and I am used to it. The menu, interface, buttons, shortcuts and everything. Hard to adapt other stuff.
Do you use Microsoft with its free drive? I.e. save your work to "cloud"?

I also like Office, but haven't got to the stage where I trust cloud. I'm still old fashioned with saving my work to my hard drive.
RosenCruz
deanhills wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:
Do you use Microsoft with its free drive? I.e. save your work to "cloud"?

I also like Office, but haven't got to the stage where I trust cloud. I'm still old fashioned with saving my work to my hard drive.

No. I am saving everything on my hard drive. For cloud, I trust DropBox. I have a 7 GB storage over there and save my secure documents with DB only. No pictures or private stuff, though. Just my docs.
bigbill360
I used open office but libre office is good too, I think is a matter of habit Smile