FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Virginity of Mary

Do you think Mary is still virgin AFTER she gave birth to Jesus?
I am atheist and I say YES
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I am atheist and I say NO
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
I am not an atheist and I say YES
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
I am not an atheist and I say NO
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

redhakaw
Do you think Mary is still virgin AFTER she gave birth to Jesus?

Please explain why.
badai
define virgin.

if you mean the hymen is still intact after giving birth, you are a moron.

if you mean the vagina is not being penetrated by a penis, then yes.
redhakaw
badai wrote:
define virgin.

if you mean the hymen is still intact after giving birth, you are a moron.

if you mean the vagina is not being penetrated by a penis, then yes.

the question is quite simple

there is no need to flamebait Wink

and after giving your decision and your vote, please explain your answer heavily

oh, and please state whether you are an atheist or not.
SonLight
No, there is no reason to think Mary would have remained a virgin after Jesus was born. The Bible doesn't say anything about Mary remaining a virgin. Since she and Joseph were married it would be highly abnormal for them not to have intimate relations.

The book of Matthew, in mentioning that Mary remained a virgin during the pregnancy, suggests that it was for a limited period of time:

Matt 1:25 (NET)
but did not have marital relations with her until she gave birth to a son, whom he named Jesus.

There is also the question of Jesus' "brothers" and "sisters". Presumably James, Jude, and the others were the offspring of Mary and Joseph. It is of course possible they might have been Jesus' step-siblings from a previous marriage of Joseph. It is also conceivable that they might have been cousins or some other close relation. Nothing in the Bible suggests that they were not Joseph and Mary's children though, and I do not know of any credible tradition suggesting they were not.

I'll let you guess whether I am an atheist or not.
Bikerman
Thread moved to faith where it belongs.
SonLight
OK, I guess we should assume Mary was a virgin at least until Jesus was born then. The two atheists who voted 'no' probably didn't think so, though.
nickfyoung
Yes, I would have thought that the whole idea was for Jesus to be born of a virgin and after that Mary would have settled down to normal married life. She would have been aware that her first son was a little different but presumably that would not stop them from getting on with life. When the Maggi arrived with gifts when Jesus was a toddler, the gold was probably enough to let them live a comfortable life and probably financed the furniture and carpentry business of Joseph.
redhakaw
thank you for your replies Nick and Son.

now before I start, I will first say my position concerning this matter.

shall we say I am "agnostic" about this Laughing

There are no concrete basis whether Mary remained virgin, and neither is there the same for whether she stopped being a virgin.

now, shall we agree on a few points concerning virginity?
1.) you don't lose virginity if your hymen is torn other than having sexual intercourse
2.) that virgin is a person who never had any sexual relations with another.
3.) that all of us including Mary, were born virgins.

everybody agrees?
SonLight
OK, I didn't think badai's comment should be considered flamebait, but was intended to be humorous. I think most of us recognized immediately that your point number one was the definition you intended. While not the only possible meaning, we should use it as our operational definition, as it is the most appropriate one for the Biblical question. Number two and three seem to follow immediately.

The Bible explicitly says Mary remained virginal for a certain period. Normally, if a person is married we expect them not to remain a virgin. In the absence of other evidence, it would be expected that Mary would not remain a virgin after Jesus' birth, even if we had never heard of the other children.
redhakaw
SonLight wrote:
OK, I didn't think badai's comment should be considered flamebait, but was intended to be humorous.

well, calling me a moron is flame, he should have said "that's idiotic" or that's "moronic", instead of "you're a moron" assuming already that the latter phrase is what I already believe.

but then again I may be too strict, that''s what happens when people are strict at you.

Quote:

I think most of us recognized immediately that your point number one was the definition you intended. While not the only possible meaning, we should use it as our operational definition, as it is the most appropriate one for the Biblical question. Number two and three seem to follow immediately.

good

now, let me ask:

Quote:

The Bible explicitly says Mary remained virginal for a certain period.

which verse or passage are you referring about this?
SonLight
The "moron" was conditioned on a premise we all knew was not true. Nevertheless not the best choice of words.

As I posted,

Quote:
but did not have marital relations with her until she gave birth to a son, whom he named Jesus.

It specifically states that Mary and Joseph had no sexual relations for a period of time (some versions say "kept her a virgin").

It does not say either that they then has sexual relations or that they didn't.

It would be reasonable to assume they did not remain celibate after that time, as they were married and it would be unusual to forego sexual relations once Mary fully recovered from the childbirth.