FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

blind or deaf

standready
A neighbor's daughter was talking to me about an assignment she had about disabilities. If you had the choice of losing your sight or hearing, which would you do without? And why?
truespeed
I could live without hearing,other than for music,the rest is just noise, with sight I can still communicate,via lip reading,writing,many manners of ways. As for the lack of music,if I went deaf tomorrow I still have thousands of tunes memorised in my head. Smile
Blaster
I would pick Deaf. Its amazing what they can do to help you hear again after you become deaf. Not to mention you can still at least get around. I'm fairly certain you can still drive as well.
deanhills
Neither for me, although I'd probably prefer sound. At least I'll remember what things looked like, but I'd be scared I'd forget what things sounded like.
grofet
It's a difficult question for me.
Don't forget that you can blind and deaf in the same time.
I think deaf is better than blind for most people.
Peterssidan
For me the choice is easy. If I was blind that would be a huge handicap. I wouldn't be able to do almost anything. If I was deaf I could still do most things except talk with people but there are many other ways of communication so I could still enjoy life.
Blaster
Yea sign language is a pretty cool universal language. Not to mention people who are deaf are really good at reading lips. And if you became deaf later on in life you would still know how to talk.
standready
My turn to answer my question.
I could not handle being blind at all. I like to explore which would be difficult to do not seeing.
Deaf, even though I am a musician, I could still play. Music would still be in my head. Yes, I would miss everyday sounds like rain and birds and such but I have heard them and know the sound produced.
Pippo90
I pick deaf. Blindness is much worse.
spinout
yes, blindness is shittier...
jajarvin
Hearing. I can still hear music.
rx9876
Blaster wrote:
Yea sign language is a pretty cool universal language. Not to mention people who are deaf are really good at reading lips. And if you became deaf later on in life you would still know how to talk.

If this can be choosen, I will prefer deaf, too, like most people.
Blindness is much more inconvenient and danger than deaf.

However, sign language is not a universal language,
every country has it's own sign language,
which are designed according to their cultures, oral language.

It's difficult to commute between two deaf people learned different sign languages.
Blaster
I thought sign language was universal until I did a little more research
deanhills
I didn't realize there were different sign languages for different countries. I know there is a different sign language for diving though, as there has to be in other sport or occupations.
codegeek
I choose deaf as well. Being blind would not allow me to do even mundane things that I take for granted now, let alone pursue a career in any field of my interest. Blindness would stifle my life completely, while being deaf would only be a hindrance.
Afaceinthematrix
I would absolutely hate to lose my hearing. I am a musician and would suffer greatly. Although for safety and mobility purposes, I'd chose to lose my hearing over my site.
catscratches
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I would absolutely hate to lose my hearing. I am a musician and would suffer greatly. Although for safety and mobility purposes, I'd chose to lose my hearing over my site.
I know you love FriHost and all but that's a bit extreme.
zimmer
standready wrote:
A neighbor's daughter was talking to me about an assignment she had about disabilities. If you had the choice of losing your sight or hearing, which would you do without? And why?

This is crazy. Of course i will not make a choice.
LxGoodies
Dunno... I've known blind people who were able to study and enter a good job.

One advantage of being blind over deaf is social: the ability to communicate (talk) with people.

During education, being deaf can be very complicated. Especially human sciences. Not being able to take part in discussions, percieve (immediate) audible feedback may render a person quasi-autistic.

Of course one can express in writing. But there is no difference there.. if a blind person can type and has the right technical means (e.g. screen reader to braille) there is no problem.
deanhills
LxGoodies wrote:
During education, being deaf can be very complicated.
I once worked with someone who was deaf and who was the designer at a printing works He could hear just enough to make his life VERY complicated. Not hearing is not as uncomplicated as it would seem. With his suffering I'm sure it may have been better if he had been completely deaf. The little he could hear however showed how awful it has to be not to hear anything after having had hearing and being on the way to be completely deaf. Someone at work has severe problems with his sight. Facing the enormity of going blind for real. He is a brilliant guy, great scientist and not to be able to read would probably be one of the worst things that could happen to him. Just amazing how he compensates for the lack of sight with using his other senses. Like his hearing is out of the ordinary sensitive. Looks as though when one of the senses is not working any longer other senses get much heightened, maybe to compensate?
Afaceinthematrix
catscratches wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I know you love FriHost and all but that's a bit extreme.

LoL. It ain;t my fault that English has extremely stupid spellings.