FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A few simple questions about Frihost

Drayk
Hi All,

Im looking into getting a website, and out of all the different free web providing sites on the internet, Frihost is winning hands down, but before i sign up for anything, id like to find out a few more things about frihost.

Firstly, what will my subdomain look like if i (can) get one?

Nextly, what are FriH$, how do i get them, do they really exist, and what do they do?

Can i use FTP, is there an online web builder, is there some nice program i can use to maintain my site, can i REALLY use PHP with a MySQL database, and can i add things like an email for my site?

Lastly, how will i access my site, and can i let another person (the co-manager of this hypothetical site) onto my (still hypothetical) frihost website?

Thanks in advance.
Daniel15
Quote:
Firstly, what will my subdomain look like if i (can) get one?

You get a [yourname].frih.net subdomain.

Quote:
Nextly, what are FriH$, how do i get them, do they really exist, and what do they do?

Frih$ are virtual money. You can trade them in the 'Marketplace' forum for services by FriHost members. The points are used to 'pay' for the hosting. See the FAQ at http://www.frihost.com/faq.php for more information on FriH$ and points.

Quote:
Can i use FTP, is there an online web builder, is there some nice program i can use to maintain my site, can i REALLY use PHP with a MySQL database, and can i add things like an email for my site?

Yes, FTP is allowed. You can use PHP and MySQL (Unlimited MySQL databases!) and also unlimited email accounts! If you don't know much HTML, and would like a nice builder, then maybe you should look at a Content Management system such as Mambo or Drupal. I'm sure other members will give suggestions on what is the best to use.

Quote:
Lastly, how will i access my site, and can i let another person (the co-manager of this hypothetical site) onto my (still hypothetical) frihost website?

To access your site, you use your [yourname].frih.net subdomain that you get. The control panel for administration is DirectAdmin, and you use a username and password (supplied to you when your account is created) to log in.
krumbles22
I was wondering why one must post a certain amount before being granted a host?

kyle
n0obie4life
To show that you are willing to be active and post quality posts.
meretyping
well, the subdomain on the second server is [whatever].frih.net

frih$ are what you use to get stuff from other frihoster people---fake money. you get them at the same rate as you get points when you post, only they aren't taken away, and people can donate them to you if they want.

there is ftp, you use directadmin on second server to build website, and you have pop3 email accounts.
Drayk
Wow, unlimited emails and MySQL! (Not that id ever need more than a couple) - a few more things; Where can i get Directadmin, Do these guest posts work towards my account, and do i have to fill out forms etc, or do i just ask Bondings for a site?
Also;
Quote:
You get a [yourname].frih.net subdomain

Does this mean that my subdomain will be called (for example, if my username was Drayk) Drayk.frih.net, or can i choose something different?
Finishing up, What is fantastico, and should i link to the forums from my site?

Frihost is sounding better all the time! Ill see if i can get some friends signing up too if it all works out; that will help keep the site free, right?
n0obie4life
No sorry. Your guest posts do not count as the posts when you register.

You can select your own domain when you signup with us from the Account page. The link to the account page can be found at the header.

Don't bother about Fantastico as you will be getting Directadmin that does NOT have Fantastico Wink.

You don't get directadmin, you go to a defined page to find directadmin.
LostOverThere
You can only have [you].frih.net
Basically, Bondings just can't have a webhost for free, it costs him to keep it up.
So the idea is to post on the forums so you <please don't mention this, it's against google's tos>.
meretyping
i still think the subdomain name isn't related to your name on the forums, but whatever. also, you do not have to link back or anything if you don't want.
garvalf4
I wanted to know, I read in the term of use that hate and violent websites were forbidden, something I can understand if you want to keep your quality of hosting.

Anyway, I'm working on improving this website, which is based on a traditionalist writer, Julius Evola : http://thompkins_cariou.tripod.com/index.html

It's not a "hatefull racist" website, but probably some people may be displeased by the fact the author is talking about races.

Would it be allowed to host such a site on Frihost ?
Bondings
garvalf4 wrote:
I wanted to know, I read in the term of use that hate and violent websites were forbidden, something I can understand if you want to keep your quality of hosting.

Anyway, I'm working on improving this website, which is based on a traditionalist writer, Julius Evola : http://thompkins_cariou.tripod.com/index.html

It's not a "hatefull racist" website, but probably some people may be displeased by the fact the author is talking about races.

Would it be allowed to host such a site on Frihost ?

Garvalf, the question isn't actually wether Julius Evola(or his book) is hatefull/racist, but wether your website is.

To give you an example:
You are allowed to have a website about Hitler as long as you stay objective and also distantiate yourself from him/his ideas.

From my (very short) research about that author, he is on the border of what could be called racism/hate. Maybe put on your website that it is a objective description/review of his books and doesn't intend to be racist ...
garvalf4
Thank you for your answer.
I'm requesting for an account on frihost, so he moderators could judge if the website is ok or not.
Drayk
Great, so im signed up.

Still some things are confusing me; Im not as good at all this forum stuff as i probably should be, so can someone please explain the ICQ, the AIM and how to make a great signature?

Also, what is the points and Frih$ system? do i get a set amount per post, or new thread? Are some threads rated higher, and are therefore worth more? Now, a quick survey; Would people be more interested in a site about games, game companies, philosophy or a site where people can get together, team up, and work on making some small games? Leave a reason too, if you have the time.

Oh and if anyone objects to me posting on the guest forum, sorry. Im posting all in one place so i can avoid spamming all these n00b questions over the support etc. pages.
Cheers.
n0obie4life
http://www.frihost.com/forums/profile.php?mode=editprofile

Go to that page to edit all your signature/aim/msn/email info Wink.

You get a minimum of 1 FRIH$ and 1 Point per post you make. The longer you post, the more FRIH$ and Points you get. However, there is a limit to the amount you can post Smile. The maximum you can gain is 2.5 FRIH$ and 2.5 Points / post.
Okay, so ive got the required Points, and some FRIH$ to boot, but now ive come across a rather weird problem. After all this time, with my heart set on getting a really really cool site, im completely stuck for an idea for the site!!!! Rolling Eyes

So, perhaps some of you could help me out of my spot of bother; What would be a good idea for a site? Better yet, what would be a good idea for a site that YOU would like to go to, but you havent made yourself because you are too lazy (perhaps) and are waiting for some sucker like me to go off and make it instead?

Thanks for your help, everybody!
Drayk
Oops, forgot to sign in - the "Guest" was me. Another small question, what is BBcode, and what are the different types of HTML (More importantly, do i have to know all of them? Confused )
SNiPeRZ
Really glad you can use FTP!
Bondings
Drayk wrote:
Oops, forgot to sign in - the "Guest" was me. Another small question, what is BBcode, and what are the different types of HTML (More importantly, do i have to know all of them? Confused )

BBcode is just html for a forum.
Code:
[B]example[/B]

To give you an expample, this bbcode will make expample look bold.

The html code would be <b>example</b>.
Drayk
Hi all, thanks for the help with my questions. Do my Points go down if i dont have a website? I havent got one just yet and i want to know if i need to keep posting on the forums until i have an idea for fear of losing my account. Also, is there a "Delete website" function on Directadmin?
n0obie4life
No. Your points don't go down until you have an hosting account with us.

To delete your website, you have to post here

Feel free to ask anymore questions.
becks78
usually how long it takes to approve/create a new account?
n0obie4life
becks78 wrote:
usually how long it takes to approve/create a new account?

One hour - Two weeks.
kangiechan
Ok, so once we are approved for a hosting account, we have to come back to forums every now and then to accumulate posts to maintain our points (so that we can keep our hosting account). Is that correct? Is it just like the same points as before we were approved for a hosting account?
Bondings
kangiechan wrote:
Ok, so once we are approved for a hosting account, we have to come back to forums every now and then to accumulate posts to maintain our points (so that we can keep our hosting account). Is that correct? Is it just like the same points as before we were approved for a hosting account?

Yes, exactly.
craiggg
so how many posts per week will i need 2 make 2 keep my website?
n0obie4life
craiggg wrote:

That'd be totally dependinng on the LENGTH of your post.
kangiechan
craiggg wrote:

I don't think the number of posts matters but the points. I know we get 1 point deducted each day. But my impression says that we could go below 0 for a certain amount of time. And then we'll be notified about it until we come back and fix our points. If not, our accounts will be terminated?
Cyouz
Er... I got one question.. Can you have like other websites putting their ads on your webpage?? Is it legal??
Hi. Can you use Frontpage or Dreamweaver to create and upload your site?
Daniel15
Anonymous wrote:
Hi. Can you use Frontpage or Dreamweaver to create and upload your site?

Yes, you can use anything you like to edit your pages.

Quote:
Er... I got one question.. Can you have like other websites putting their ads on your webpage?? Is it legal??

Yes, you can put whatever ads you want.
Holdemhorn
to activate or get approval after you qualify for webhosting.