FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Advertising on the TV. How much do you have it?

chasbeen
One of the good things about England is the BBC. This institution is dear to me because it survives on an annual licence fee that everyone has to pay for.

For those in a foreign country that do not know what the British Broadcasting Company is special for then the main thing is that there is absolutely no advertising allowed.

This has two great knock on affects.
(1) You can watch uninterrupted programs
(2) Other commercial channels have to limit advertising so that they compete

How does this compare to your country and have you got any comparable example?
deanhills
None of it around here Chas and it irritates the daylights out of me. I usually tape all my shows so I can fast forward through the ads, but they still are there irritating me.

I was unaware BBC carried no advertising. Good for them! Ha! Next time when I'm in London, I'll definitely channel in specially for that reason. Cool
truespeed
I would prefer the BBC carried adverts,not because I like them but because nobody should be forced into paying for it,no other TV channel is forced upon us,if you have a TV you have to pay a licence fee,no ifs no buts,pay it or else.
standready
Here in the US, advertising is everywhere even on premium service that you pay for. You can on those services purchase a DVR (for an additional monthly fee) that will record shows then allow you to skip ads.
Only the Public Broadcast Stations (PBS) will show a program uninterrupted but ads for before and after the program.
I usually just record shows so I can watch later and >> fast forward through ads. Heck, ads are even placed in the programs when you watch them on-line and can't skip them.