FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

WYSIWYG Alternatives

zer00ne
I have installed TinyMCE 4 on a webpage and it worked great... until I tried to save the edited content Brick wall Upon further investigation, I found out that there is some backend involved PHP Crying or Very sad The documentation that I read didn't really mention this caveat (or I missed that important detail.)

I really don't want to setup PHP because:
Arrow I not familiar with PHP
Arrow I use S3 and it looks like I need EC2 to run PHP form functions
Arrow I only need a WYSIWYG editor for 16 pages

I still want to use TinyMCE. My questions:
Arrow Is there any way I could use LocalStorage of the browser in order to keep everything client-side?
Arrow If not, is there a way to extract the edited content (and code) and not end up with the ugly pre-post markup?
Arrow Else if it is just not gonna happen with TinyMCE sans PHP, is there another WYSIWYG editor that can do without PHP or any server-side script Question

Any insight is much appreciated, thank you.
Marcuzzo
zer00ne wrote:
I have installed TinyMCE 4 on a webpage and it worked great... until I tried to save the edited content Brick wall Upon further investigation, I found out that there is some backend involved PHP Crying or Very sad The documentation that I read didn't really mention this caveat (or I missed that important detail.)

The idea behind the wysiwyg editors is just to write HTML code in an editor that mimics the concept of a rich text editor.
If you want to display the text you wrote on a web page you need to store the text ( HTML code ) somewhere.
either way you will need PHP to store the text on the server ( be it in your database, textfile, whatever)

zer00ne wrote:

I really don't want to setup PHP because:
Arrow I not familiar with PHP
Arrow I use S3 and it looks like I need EC2 to run PHP form functions
Arrow I only need a WYSIWYG editor for 16 pages

PHP is easy to learn. the question here is 'what do you want to do?'

zer00ne wrote:

Arrow Is there any way I could use LocalStorage of the browser in order to keep everything client-side?

Yes you can but only you will be able to see the content as this content is stored in the "local" storage of your "browser" And only on your machine and the browser you used.

zer00ne wrote:
Arrow If not, is there a way to extract the edited content (and code) and not end up with the ugly pre-post markup?

Not sure where you get that from. I've uses CKEditor many times and the contents are not modified.

zer00ne wrote:
Arrow Else if it is just not gonna happen with TinyMCE sans PHP, is there another WYSIWYG editor that can do without PHP or any server-side script Question

CKEditor works with JavaScript and you can even run it locally. but what do you want to do?
create static HTML content with the editor and then just save them as HTML to FTP them to your hosting?