FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Travelling back in time

manoj2593
I saw in discovery that if we revolved around earth in light speed we could slow the time and if we do that for 4 years than it would be 8 years when we stop..is this true or they are saying that because nobody can do that??...if true please explain why that happens??
Bikerman
Well, sort of......
To explain this completely requires some work on your part. If you REALLY want a good answer AND you are prepared to put in a little effort then I can certainly help you.
Click HERE for a tutorial I have written which explains something called Special Relativity (one of Einstein's theories). This will explain how time can move at different rates for different observers moving at different relative velocities.
jajarvin
Bikerman wrote:
Click HERE for a tutorial I have written which explains something called Special Relativity (one of Einstein's theories).

I find only a "404 - Article not found" page.
mshafiq
I am surprised to hear that. But do you really think this could happen? I don't think so.
permadeva
Kind of reminds me of what Superman did going around the earth and turning back time before the earthquake.
Bikerman
jajarvin wrote:
Bikerman wrote:
Click HERE for a tutorial I have written which explains something called Special Relativity (one of Einstein's theories).

I find only a "404 - Article not found" page.

Sorry about that - I reorganised the site and the url changed,
Try HERE
mkotsi
Time travel is something that I think we will never invent/achieve. In my opinion first we have to invent teleportation. But even then I think we will only achive to SEE the past but not TRAVEL on it.
SlashnburnSoftwareStudio
I think the series LOST has rewrote the laws of time travel Laughing
nam_siddharth
Time travel is possible, But only one way ie. always in future but never in past.
Bikerman
Time travel to the past cannot be absolutely ruled-out scientifically at present. Relativity leaves a couple of loopholes (at least two that I am aware of) which would allow backward travel through time - frame shifting and Einstein-Rosen bridges (wormholes).
The usual arguments against are logical rather than scientific - the old 'what if you went back and killed your own grandfather' paradoxes. Whilst these sound persuasive they are not, to my mind conclusive. Such paradoxes vanish, for example, if the Everett Many Worlds interpretation of quantum physics is correct. In such cases any backward time traveller would find him/herself in a different 'universe' with no causal linkage.
If you want an opinion then yes, I would say that backward time travel is almost certainly not on - but science cannot yet remove the 'almost'....
standready
I wish I could go back in time - I want a 'do over'!
Blummer
I'd say I don't believe in travelling back in time, I'd rather believe in travelling forward.
loveandormoney
manoj2593 wrote:
I saw in discovery that if we revolved around earth in light speed we could slow the time and if we do that for 4 years than it would be 8 years when we stop..is this true or they are saying that because nobody can do that??...if true please explain why that happens??

This is not possible in real life.
It is a fantasy journey in that movie.
tonberry
Well, life is full of mysteries. In neuroscience, there are theories that brain itself time-travels and gathers information from something like 5 seconds forward and backward into a coherent whole to give us the illusion of a continuous reality when in fact it is not how things work beyond our perception of the world around us.

I don't remember the scientist who was leading on that, but he was a very serious character and even though his theory is not supported by the majority in his field, it hasn't been discredited as any sort of fantasy but lies somewhere within "possible, not probable".

So, the fact that some scientists treat such theories seriously shows us how little we really know about the universe. What is truly fantasy is judgements about whether time travel is possible or not, because if top scientist geniuses don't know, how would we?