FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Would you buy frihost?

truespeed
If you had enough cash,would you buy frihost as an investment?
jajarvin
If I had enough cash, I would start my own new web site- Mayby something like Frihost.org.
chasbeen
Actually it was a good investment. The real value is determined by the amount of traffic through her...
Blaster
Honestly it depends. I'm not sure what the operating costs are vs what the website is bringing in. I know people who have bought free hosts before have quickly shut them down. I'm sure though that frihost at one point was thieving and i'm sure with enough TLC we could get her back to her old glory.
deanhills
jajarvin wrote:
If I had enough cash, I would start my own new web site- Mayby something like Frihost.org.
It's already taken - Bondings is the owner - think it works with Frihost Servers 2/3:

http://whois.net/whois/frihost.org
Expiry date: 20 July 2015

These are also owned by Bondings:

http://whois.net/whois/frih.org
Expiry date: 20 July 2014

http://whois.net/whois/frihost.com
Expiry date: 22 April 2019

http://whois.net/whois/frihost.net
Expiry date: 22 April 2015

Frihost.net works with Server 1.

I checked and these are available:

Quote:
frihost.co
frihost.sg
frihost.menu
frihost.kitchen
Fri-Host.com
Fri-Host.org
Fri-Host.net
Source: Godaddy

Haha .... frihost.kitchen sounds like fun.

or:

Quote:
frihost.co.uk
frihost.ca
frihost.de
frihost.me
frihost.us
frihost.in
frihost.es
frihost.zone
frihost.email
frihost.eu
frihost.biz
frihost.tv
frihost.pw
frihost.io
frihost.info
frihost.cheap
frihost.mobi
frihost.agency
Source: Namecheap
Frihost.cheap looks interesting. Razz

Seriously though, I just cannot see Bondings EVER selling Frihost. Think he got too significantly bonded with Frihost during his student years to ever want to do that.
standready
Like Blaster said. Never go into an investment blindly.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
Honestly it depends. I'm not sure what the operating costs are vs what the website is bringing in. I know people who have bought free hosts before have quickly shut them down. I'm sure though that frihost at one point was thieving and i'm sure with enough TLC we could get her back to her old glory.
Haha just picked up on "thieving" .... I'm sure Bondings will be impressed .... Very Happy
truespeed
Blaster wrote:

Of course,but Bondings wouldn't bankroll this place,so the assumption is,his incomings are more than his outgoings,and with one million posts already indexed,all it would take is a few active account creators,some new blood/posts appearing on the forums,a clear out of all the non posting accounts from the servers and frihost would be ready to go again.

Honestly.If I had the kind of money that I think this forum would go for,I think it would be a great investment,sadly I don't though,not that Bondings would ever sell. Smile
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
Of course,but Bondings wouldn't bankroll this place,so the assumption is,his incomings are more than his outgoings,and with one million posts already indexed,all it would take is a few active account creators,some new blood/posts appearing on the forums,a clear out of all the non posting accounts from the servers and frihost would be ready to go again.
Maybe this is partially true, bankroll would be important to a certain point. Relative to his earnings. I still think he is more than fond of Frihost, it's like a special something for him. Also I get it that Bondings is a bit of a procrastinator. In our favour of course. He may still be hoping for the day when there is a "pause" in his work or he is in between contracts so he has time available to fix things at Frihost not necessarily to what they were before, but to re-arrange the servers and staff so that Frihost could work more efficiently without his involvement in the Forums.
truespeed
I am not suggesting Bondings should or will sell,just would anyone knowing frihost as well as we all do,consider it a good investment. Wink
Peterssidan
Probably not so much as an investment, but more because I like Frihost and by owning it I could fix the things that are broken. In reality I don't have much money so buying is out of the question but if Bondings want to give it to me for free I would be interested, but who wouldn't be? Wink
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
Probably not so much as an investment, but more because I like Frihost and by owning it I could fix the things that are broken. In reality I don't have much money so buying is out of the question but if Bondings want to give it to me for free I would be interested, but who wouldn't be? Wink
I can't see how Frihost could ever be the same without Bondings. It is one thing for Bondings to be away and to have become a legend of sorts, and another for him to be permanently gone and someone else take Frihost over. I probably would still be around but I don't think it would be the same for me.
grofet
I think frihost or some kind of post to host business is not a good investment. But the frihost forums is quite valuable for ads. Develop the forums to make it more active, remove the free hosting service and offer something more interesting to people on the internet. But personally i like to develop forums from scratch. The price of hosting is getting lower and lower in the future and free social network or blog service become better and better in the future. Maybe someday google, microsoft, facebook, yahoo, myspace, twitter, or something else will start giving free hosting that looks like cpanel and directadmin. That's why post to host service is not quite good in the future for me.
Simonjw
As a business man, I wouldn't buy Frihost as an investment, I would start up my own one from scratch with a revised business model. (Not saying Frihost's business model is bad).

As Grofest mentioned, there are other things that people on the Internet would like instead of Hosting or Domain Names, but I have to disagree with him when he says a post to host business model is not a good investment.

Investing is a tricky subject and the single most equivalent I have found to it is finding a partner who you would spend the rest of your life with. This is solely because if you wouldn't want to spend everyday with him/her, you are already doubting something either with yourself or the person and then your time invested will not be fruitful. It is exactly the same for investing in some sort of business or start up idea because if you have doubts or you don't want to invest all of your time and drive into it's success, it will not succeed and then would be a bad decision.

With that said, not everyone can make an investment work and seldom will you come across an investment that anyone will thrive from. In these cases you are probably just a silent investor with some sort of say if not any and this is absolutely no fun at all.

So to conclude, for myself it is a no because I would go with bettering the idea from a fresh approach, but for someone else they might just buy it as a novelty as such.

Hope this helped

Simon
Blaster
Again though if you know anything about business you know not to go in without looking whats out there. Lets be honest at a low startup, starting up a free webhost isn't hard. Get a decent amount of vistors and bam you have yourself some good money coming in. You have to put a lot of work in at the beginning but after you secure the people in and get them to post like bondings did back in 2005 the rest is easy and really takes care of itself.

I've had experience with running a free webhost before. Its not real hard we had a good amount of "customers" and the guy sold it and within a few months the place was done.
truespeed
I don't agree,a start up post for hosting forum would be more difficult to get off the ground now than it was back in 2005,everyone now has ready made blogs in tumblr,blogger and WordPress,as well as time wasters in Facebook and twitter,so getting a presence online now is easy. So I just don't think there is as much demand for free hosting ,that isn't to say there isn't any,which is why taking over an established forum with 1 million posts has less risk and more rewards than a start up.

Frihost could double its active user base and number of posts within months,just by simply activating new accounts and having a more hands on input from admin,a new owner could do that and reap the benefits.
Simonjw
truespeed wrote:
I don't agree,a start up post for hosting forum would be more difficult to get off the ground now than it was back in 2005,everyone now has ready made blogs in tumblr,blogger and WordPress,as well as time wasters in Facebook and twitter,so getting a presence online now is easy. So I just don't think there is as much demand for free hosting ,that isn't to say there isn't any,which is why taking over an established forum with 1 million posts has less risk and more rewards than a start up.

Frihost could double its active user base and number of posts within months,just by simply activating new accounts and having a more hands on input from admin,a new owner could do that and reap the benefits.

As I posted in my post above, it is different for everyone for the amount of work you put in and how rewarding you think it is buying an already established business or building your own with blood sweat and tears from the ground up.

Free hosting is a massive business and if you have done your research on free hosting companies and the amount of traffic they get, you would change your mind about that. One recent start up called Non-Job Host which was started solely because of Elliott Hulse's Non Job Campaign is a massive traffic flower and user count just in it's first few weeks. Then you have companies like Hostzinger, Byte Host, X10 Hosting and many many more offering free accounts who have done just as well if not better in their beginning, but have started to level out, but that not is to say they still aren't making a lot of money.

Already I see you are not a good business man nor a leader because you are worried about your "competition". Look Blogger, Tumblr and WordPress are really good and really bad platforms at the same time, I like WordPress a lot and we use it on a daily basis and it is most people's go to because of it's popularity. So I say don't compete, but leverage off WordPress if need be or any other already established Open Source project and just by that you have a head start. Everyone loves something free so that is also a game changer to starting up something like Frihost.

It all depends on how hard you work for what you want to achieve and also how quickly you roll out to the public. For me knowledge is one of the biggest factors for running a business like Frihost, share knowledge with people in an easy obtainable way and you have loyal followers.

Frihost could certainly do that, but whether the admins and owner are free enough to do so or whether they have the determination is entirely what factors this company/project gaining or just staying the same. My admins are going to be hands on from the get go and hosting will have a 2 - 5 day turnaround once ordered.

Simon
deanhills
truespeed wrote:

Agreed Truespeed. Frihost has a large user base and also a large history base of solid quality articles. Can't beat that. I don't think one would be able to grow any of that from scratch as the quality of posts during the height of the free hosting "fever" in 2005-2008 you won't equal in our current tech age of people posting with phones and wanting things in a great hurry. Frihost has such a large horizontal variety of topics that every now and then when I'm Googling something I seem to hit Frihost. And that of course attracts many guests to Frihost as well.

One could use the community forum as a base and then perhaps repackage the hosting with focus on selling domains in exchange for free hosting as that seems to be making plenty of money these days. We could still have coins so that the forums would still be alive and people could post for domains. If one could get really good Admin on board one could also add paid hosting. That would require a really good partner though, and that is hard to find. Particularly since Admin as they grow more expert and experienced could be much more gainfully employed as system admin.

Anyway I think Frihost is probably in the best place possible with being a fun hobby that brings in a little extra money for its owner enough to pay the bills at any rate.
sysna
Why not ? the current alexa is 59,655 , if we look into the history of alexa rank we see that this website had rank of around 10,000 in 2012 so it is highly capable of getting that rank again. So it is a good investment.
Simonjw
Okay Sysna,

When you decide to invest in anything, what are your expectations and what is it that you stand to gain from it?

It can be any category, but has to be the category you want the most.
truespeed
Simonjw wrote:
Okay Sysna,

When you decide to invest in anything, what are your expectations and what is it that you stand to gain from it?

Entering any field on the net whether it be free hosting or social network,you want to be the leader in your category,or at least dining at the top table,you could take your approach,which is to go with a start up,which can work,but not always,Google plus can't catch up with Facebook no matter how much money and expertise and promotion they put into it,5 years from now they will probably abandon it like so many Google projects.

An alternative is to buy out the current market leader,like Google did with YouTube,and improve upon it. Facebook also take this approach by buying the likes of instagram. Ditto yahoo with tumblr.

From reading your post above it looks like you have done your homework on free hosting and you are optimistic you can make a success of it,I hope you do,but my experience of free hosts is that they don't last long,mainly because there isn't a huge demand anymore and also because there is so much competition for too few consumers.

Which is why given the choice,I would go for an established net property,with a million posts in the bank,mostly quality as Dean said,and with a little painting and decorating this place would soon thrive again.

I know that probably isn't an option for you,but from a debate point of view,surely starting from scratch could never been seen as the better option,because you're always playing catch up,and for most,they never even end up in a race.
deanhills
Further to what Truespeed said about the future for free hosting not looking that good I've picked up on gung-ho freehosters of 2006-2008 era opting free reseller instead - particularly the ones who know a little about what goes on in servers, although one doesn't have to know that much any longer, everything seems to be packaged somehow. Free reseller seems to be the in thing for the moment, that and domain reselling. Free hosting is a very poor cousin, like a one-off for a quick Website and not as popular as it used to be. Can't survive on its own any longer. Just search on "free reseller" and the results that come up are interesting to check out. The domain reselling is so hot now that it gives me an eerie feeling of pyramid selling. Every one is on the bandwagon.

Wonder whether one would be able to add free reseller hosting to Frihost? Sounds like something worthwhile to investigate. Only reason why I would hesitate though would be the shortage of admin to attend to all of the tickets. I'd probably go for domain reselling instead.
spinout
Well not a high risk investment I suppose... This is selfrollig and have done that quite some time
Simonjw
truespeed wrote:
Simonjw wrote:
Okay Sysna,

Entering any field on the net whether it be free hosting or social network,you want to be the leader in your category,or at least dining at the top table,you could take your approach,which is to go with a start up,which can work,but not always,Google plus can't catch up with Facebook no matter how much money and expertise and promotion they put into it,5 years from now they will probably abandon it like so many Google projects.

An alternative is to buy out the current market leader,like Google did with YouTube,and improve upon it. Facebook also take this approach by buying the likes of instagram. Ditto yahoo with tumblr.

From reading your post above it looks like you have done your homework on free hosting and you are optimistic you can make a success of it,I hope you do,but my experience of free hosts is that they don't last long,mainly because there isn't a huge demand anymore and also because there is so much competition for too few consumers.

Which is why given the choice,I would go for an established net property,with a million posts in the bank,mostly quality as Dean said,and with a little painting and decorating this place would soon thrive again.

I know that probably isn't an option for you,but from a debate point of view,surely starting from scratch could never been seen as the better option,because you're always playing catch up,and for most,they never even end up in a race.

I totally agree with when you start something in business, one of the main goals or focus is to become the go to place for either your service or product. In a sense Facebook created the wheel and when Google came into the mix, they tried to recreate the wheel which can be a good thing as well as a bad thing. Yes they will probably end up abandoning it like they have countless other projects, but they have the money to do so and most the time they do it just to unsettle closed business areas. They do it just because they can. By Google bringing out a social network they moved the limelight off Facebook and onto themselves, literally everyone signed up just to test it out, but whether they stayed or not is another case. By doing this was favourable to them in a few ways which I won't go into. They have done it with most of their abandoned products, they not really there to make money as Google Search and Google Ads are their big baby.

These large companies see fit to buy out the smaller companies because they can. They throw massive amounts at the company owners hoping that they will bight and majority do because they have never experienced the vast amounts of money, but if some of them held onto their companies like Mark did, where would they be today?

I have done a massive amount of homework into the free hosting, reselling, servers, domains and VPS solutions and most of them do have a big market catch, whereas hosting doesn't have that much of a big one because it lacks a lot of what the paid hosts have and frankly that is what people want.

There are a vast number of pros and cons for buying something out and one con I know of is that if someone had a bad experience with something, majority of the time they won't come back even if the business has had major overhauls done. Personally I like to go in to something new with a fresh mind and eye on it instead of buying something and then fine tuning it. I prefer knowing the whole game from the ground up.

Starting from scratch is a totally valid option, it's just based on how determined you are and the lengths you will go to make it succeed.

I work with JT Foxx's organisation and if you don't know who he is, I would just go Google "JT Foxx"and that should just give you some sort of idea where I play ball and how I play ball.

Simon
Simonjw
deanhills wrote:
Further to what Truespeed said about the future for free hosting not looking that good I've picked up on gung-ho freehosters of 2006-2008 era opting free reseller instead - particularly the ones who know a little about what goes on in servers, although one doesn't have to know that much any longer, everything seems to be packaged somehow. Free reseller seems to be the in thing for the moment, that and domain reselling. Free hosting is a very poor cousin, like a one-off for a quick Website and not as popular as it used to be. Can't survive on its own any longer. Just search on "free reseller" and the results that come up are interesting to check out. The domain reselling is so hot now that it gives me an eerie feeling of pyramid selling. Every one is on the bandwagon.

Wonder whether one would be able to add free reseller hosting to Frihost? Sounds like something worthwhile to investigate. Only reason why I would hesitate though would be the shortage of admin to attend to all of the tickets. I'd probably go for domain reselling instead.

The free reseller game is a big one, but honestly what can you offer as extra services to free resellers for free? You can't offer anything unless you are making a revenue somehow to keep it afloat. The domain reselling is very much a Pyramid Scheme in many places, but still people are making some good money from it.

Personally I am looking into giving out free ICT sector services and maybe products at one point in a way similar to Frihost.

It would be nice at Frihost Dean, but the lack of Admin's has brought Frihost down a tad and whether people will want to come back if Admin's decide to be 100% in again is another story. It's shown a bit of poor performance over the period of the hosting backlog and it could be a difficult situation to overcome now.

Simon
deanhills
Simonjw wrote:

It would be nice at Frihost Dean, but the lack of Admin's has brought Frihost down a tad and whether people will want to come back if Admin's decide to be 100% in again is another story. It's shown a bit of poor performance over the period of the hosting backlog and it could be a difficult situation to overcome now.

Simon
Great observation Simon. I don't see thing ever going back to what it was before. I can't see the Admin returning in a way he was present before either. He was a gung-ho student at the time when he was 100% present and probably now climbing the proverbial career ladder where Frihost has become a favourite hobby of his student years that he can't let go off easily since he has so much of himself invested in it. I don't think it could continue for much longer than it is, but maybe it counts in our favour that he is a bit of a procrastinator with making decisions and the idea of keeping the servers going in the "short term" in order to get to the right moment of making a decision once he has a minute available has been postponed almost (but not quite) indefinitely. Also, there must be a little income still coming to offset the cost of the servers, so that could be lucky for us too.
alexakasanjeev
Blaster wrote:

i am here only to host my website can you tell me about frihost hosting capabilities
RosenCruz
Peterssidan wrote:

I agree with Peter. Having it and focusing on rebuilding the old community could be a nice struggle Laughing
playfungames
Well, if Frihost was up for sale, I wouldn't buy it. I don't have the necessary knowledge or skills to run a site like this. I don't even want to get into spending a large amount of my time in the web hosting business. I am sure I won't be good at it.
RosenCruz
So what is the asking price, Bondings ? Laughing Laughing
CHAOS-THEORY
I dont actually care... since Frihost provided me such a high quality hosting for years now due to Bondings and crew hard work which i really appreciate.
But these times, i feel like it's letting me down & i still don't give a shit cause am too lazy to do so.
deanhills
I do miss Bondings, but at the same time things are changing all of the time, he's totally immersed in making his career, and still cares enough to want to move us to new servers. Frihost is an amazing place for sure. More than Bondings because of Bondings. Cool