FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

customer 'dis'-service

standready
I want to have faster internet. My first choice was to upgrade with my existing provider but upon reviewing their website, only a very marginal speed increase is available. So I 'searched' for other options.
One small local company has some interesting choices so I picked up the phone and called. Their associate appears to very little about their services and keeps putting me on hold. Finally, she asked if I would like a site evaluation to see if they could provide me with service. I replied "yes" and was informed that someone would be out within 10 days! Yes, she said 10 DAYS! I would have thought a small company would want to get a new customer on the books as soon as they could.
4 days and no visit yet so I call a huge nationwide company. I would have thought that they would love to 'steal' a major competitor's customer. I can't get a straight answer out of any of their associates. All they were interested in was 'up-selling' me into more services than I wanted. Quoted install ranged widely from $99 down to $35. Not one would waive install cost to lure a new customer from the competition. They are not going to make 'tomorrow awesome' as all their advertising claims.

Anyone else want to share a 'dis-service' story.
Vanilla
My cable provider... Oh, tis too long a story.

Every month we need to call them. Sometimes it's because the bill is wrong. Sometimes we need to complain about the quality of the internet/cable/telephone. AND EVERY SINGLE TIME they put me on hold or the call is simply terminated without further explanation. Its an herculean task, I'm telling you.

Our last complain happened this week. We called to cancel the cable TV (we just signed for Netflix and we won't be dealing with this bad cable service anymore). I called them once about the cancellation and the call was terminated. Then I called them a second... A third time... I was getting frustrated when my brother stepped in and was very determined to cancel the service. Same thing happened to him: called three times, the call was mysteriously terminated... Then he registered a complain at Anatel (Telecommunication services regulatory agency here in Brazil). In less than 24 hours, a very friendly attendant from our cable provider called us, cancelled the TV service and sent a technician to pick up the cable equipment at our house. Really astounding.
Blaster
My gradparents were in the process of switching cable companies. They found out that there was no line to the house so they would have to put new lines in. This was back in February. Still no new lines put in. They canceled their existing phone number before the new phone was ever hooked up (the new company canceled it not my grandparents). Now they have to pay a higher phone bill. Then the new company tried again and a sales person called asking for permission to take over the phone again before any lines were installed. They said no and she wasn't taking that for an answer. Finally they hung up on her and she kept calling back. It was an awful experience.
deanhills
You're lucky. You've got choices. Here in the UAE there is only one provider Etisalat and maybe a second one with limited Internet services as add on to mobile phones - DU. It was a TOTAL PAIN to be set up with my service. The service is also VERY expensive in comparison with other countries. Once you're set up you're also reluctant to change, as could mean one has to go through all of the hardship again. The initial application for a broadband service was great. But then just complete quiet. Then when I followed up they said I had to re-apply as somehow something had gone wrong with my original application. Then long wait again. Think it must have taken about two months, and three visits to their HQ before I got connected up. Then something went wrong with the installation and I had to visit HQ repeatedly to rectify it (the call center was just completely hopeless), until I lucked out with a customer service agent - face to face one with a visit to HQ again, before it finally came together. He got a more reliable technician to be sent to my home. Who had to sort out the mess of the previous technician. Then they got my first billing wrong, had to go to HQ again. Found that customer services and accounts see different things on their screens. Got that finally sorted out.

Looks as though it's pretty much the same every where else in the world though. The providers are just so big, it's almost the equivalent of a David vs Goliath battle to get a service, and to have it going smoothly all of the time.
standready
deanhills wrote:
The providers are just so big, it's almost the equivalent of a David vs Goliath battle to get a service, and to have it going smoothly all of the time.

I agree with large companies but was shocked when the local small company told me 10 days. They may service around 100,000 customers if they are lucky. They still have not come out to check over my home for install (fixed wireless service).
I do have new service with huge nationwide company 'supposedly' being installed on Monday morning. Was dis-appointed that they would not waive install cost to steal a customer. I will stay with them through the promo deal period of 12 months then reassess my options. I am going to writing a letter to their CEO about my 'awesome' experience. Of course, he won't give a ____ until he sees it published online (if no response).
deanhills
standready wrote:
I will stay with them through the promo deal period of 12 months then reassess my options. I am going to writing a letter to their CEO about my 'awesome' experience. Of course, he won't give a ____ until he sees it published online (if no response).
Good that you are doing something about it. Great you can get to the CEO though. Where do you get hold of an address to write to?
standready
deanhills wrote:
Great you can get to the CEO though. Where do you get hold of an address to write to?

Off the corporate website. I am sending via old fashion snail mail because I know an email would be deleted unread. If CEO does not response to his paper mail, then the company deserves the 'awesome' publicity I will give to them online.
deanhills
standready wrote:
I am sending via old fashion snail mail
That sounds like a great idea. Think next time round I'll do the same. Makes sense that it would have a greater chance of reaching those "invisible" top management in banking corporations rather than e-mails that probably never reach them, or if they did, may not be opened.
zimmer
i don't think there is a terminology in English called 'dis' service.
Idea
standready
I posted that to emphasize my unhappiness with the so-called service. Disservice is "harmful action" or "to provide inadequate or faulty service".
source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/disservice
standready
This letter went into good old snail mail last week. If you were CEO of the corporation how would handle this letter?

Quote:
Reference: new customer experience

Mr. ____,

I would like to share with you my “Make Tomorrow Awesome (NOT)” experience of getting your Economy plus internet service into my home.

I first got on your website where I could not find answers to any of my questions about your service. So I called one of the many different phone numbers. The person was more interested in 'up-selling' me than answering my questions. I inquired about installation and was answered with “that is at the end of sign-up process”. I asked about waiving installation cost and was answered with “I cannot help you with that so let me transfer you”. I got transferred back into the sales pool instead of to someone that had authority.

Next person I spoke with was again more interested in 'up-selling' finally told me installation would be $59 and they would not waive installation cost.

Next day, I went back on-line and tried your live chat. Again with the 'up-sell' asking a bunch of pointless questions instead of listening to a potential customer. Finally got a $35 installation cost but would not even address of question of waiving install cost instead more useless 'up-sell' questions. I did find out about a self install kit from this person but they could not answer whether my existing 20+ year old cable would work.

Back to the phone and tried to reach your local office. The number listed put me back into the sales pool instead of the local office. Again with the 'up-sell' but this time install was $99 and no waive of cost. When I inquired about my old cable for going the self install route person replied “may or may not work”.

Next day, extremely frustrated with everybody that I had dealt with so far, I decided to just try the on-line sign-up process to find out an installation cost. I got yet again a different price of $39.95. I begrudgingly accepted that price figuring the $25 Visa card (I hopefully will receive, not holding my breathe) would at least offset some of the install cost. I continued only to have your system not accept the 'E-verify' and would not allow me to complete the process.

Back to the phone and tried another local office number only to yet again get put into the sales pool instead of a local person. I then dialed the number listed on the sign-up page of the website and spoke to the first person that did not strictly try to 'up-sell' and was able to complete the process though I still have my doubts as to whether I will receive the promo $25 Visa card as I was told by this person that I would.

The only 'awesome' part of this whole boondoggle was the installer that came out. He arrived during the scheduled 1 hour window and was extremely polite and courteous. He replaced existing cable from the main line stating that the ancient cable would not handle my internet connection. All this work done in a light rain. All work done inside was clean and he configured everything.

Of course, you wasted no time in getting a bill out to me. Upon reviewing the complete bill, as I always do, I discovered a hidden charge for 'TV franchise fee'! I will not repeat what I said upon seeing a fee for TV on my internet service. I wonder how many people get taken by this fee because they don't review the bill carefully? So I called the phone number on my bill and after going through 'press this, that and the other', I finally got a live person and supposedly have a credit on my next bill for the fee amount. Not holding my breathe despite having a reference number.

What do you think of my 3 day plus 'Totally Awesome' experience with your company? Your response will be the determining factor in whether you keep this customer past the 30 day money back guarantee and beyond the promotional period.

Sincerely,

As far for the "franchise fee", I checked my bill on-line (yesterday) and that charge has been removed from current so I won't be paying that anyway.
Can't wait to see if I get an actual response and what they will say. I will keep you posted!
deanhills
standready wrote:

As far for the "franchise fee", I checked my bill on-line (yesterday) and that charge has been removed from current so I won't be paying that anyway.
Can't wait to see if I get an actual response and what they will say. I will keep you posted!
I'd love to see it too. I've been through that with a large Bank exactly in the same way. I don't think there is any one who exists in customer services with authority to make decisions. They all are limited to "upselling". That is the only thing they are trained to do.

Glad everything got installed at last. Mine was a disaster the first time round, but then when I went physically into the IE company and lucked with a really good "real live" customer services person who was well connected, I got a more qualified technician, who was totally bowled over with the fact that they weren't working with the right lines and hadn't connected me up with the new fiber optic line. The IE was cutting corners with cheap staff, but at least had some trained ones lurking around. Bill of course was hopelessly wrong afterwards. Had to fix that too by going physically into the company - call center is completely hopeless. And you're right. How many people check their telephone bills?
standready
Received a phone call Friday from a corporate account representative. A few things resolved (?) but still a joke.
deanhills
standready wrote:
Received a phone call Friday from a corporate account representative. A few things resolved (?) but still a joke.
At least there was a response. Maybe the old-fashioned letter writing is still working!
standready
deanhills wrote:
At least there was a response. Maybe the old-fashioned letter writing is still working!

I know it worked better than an email which would have gotten trashed without a look. I guess though that I am setting for the lack-luster response from corporate but better than none.
standready
Well darn it anyhow. Old phone and internet provider now playing games with me. I called this morning and threaten to drag them into court if they so much as take one penny out of my account.
To show how email definitely does not work, my email to their CEO was intercepted by a flunky with a response that problem would be looked into. How can CEO run a 'service' if he is not aware of problems until police slap handcuffs on him?
deanhills
standready wrote:
To show how email definitely does not work, my email to their CEO was intercepted by a flunky with a response that problem would be looked into. How can CEO run a 'service' if he is not aware of problems until police slap handcuffs on him?
They seem to be getting away with that every where. Your man in the street seems to be working mostly with call center attendants who don't have much in decision power. Sad