FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gravity waves? Big Bang?

Misuc
Assuming that what they have found are indeed gravity waves, does this finally confirm the standard theory - big bang - inflation etc.?

And multiverses?

As a layman I can accept the 'facts' predicted and confirmed of special and general relativity and quantum theory and I can understand that, to paraphrase Feynman said of quantum theories in general, if you think you understand it that is a sure sign you don't -and that the maths may very well imply multiple dimensions, m-branes, perhaps strings, multiple universes etc..... On the other hand, I find the idea of the existence of all possible universes absurd and unconvincing, but I don't know what to replace it with.

But we don't understand anything very much do we? 95% of the 'known' universe is actually unknown - 'dark'. And we still don't understand how something can come from nothing or [if it didn't] how it could have always been there.....
Josso
Gravity waves aren't extra-dimensional although you may be interested in "white holes" which are theorised to be the other end of a black hole, which you could put certain types of energy through but not matter obviously - this is probably relevant. Are they using gravity waves like they are using cosmic microwave background radiation, mapping out history and confirming the age of the universe? I guess I don't understand what you are asking but it's all interesting fields. Here's something else I had bookmarked that you may find of interest.