FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How much does your internet cost?

codegeek
I live in Kathmandu, Nepal and am using the ADSL unlimited service by Nepal Telecommunications. It costs me Rs. 1000 (10 US dollars) per month and has a speed of 192 Kbps. It's not too bad for surfing, but the download speed of about 20 KB/s is horrendous. (But, I guess it makes sense: 192/8 = 24)

What kind of internet do you use? How much does it cost per month? What's the speed?
deanhills
I consider mine VERY expensive. This is what I get for 82 USD per month, unlimited, and it doesn't even feel that "fast" either.

codegeek
Wow, that's blazing fast, deanhills! 45.8 times my download speed at only 8.2 times the cost. Very Happy
rx9876
My network is 5M/384K, and it cost 15 USD per month, but the period is 28 months.
If people want to stop using the service earlier than its end, they had to pay the penalty.
According to the Big Mac Index, this ASDL month fee costs 6 Big Mac burgers.

Comparing the fee in different area is not that simple, and we have to consider many factors.
badai
for my house, FTTH triple services with 5Mbps/5Mbps unlimited about USD49
for my mobile, up to 50++Mbps using LTE, limited to 2Gbyte (up + down) about USD15.50
Marcuzzo
At home I've got 120Mbps download, 6Mbps upload and unlimited ( Fair use Policy) for 68 ( only for internet, we've got a land line, digital tv and 2 mobile phones with that company and pay aprox 120 a month.
http://telenet.be/nl/internet/internet-120

I'm at work now and I can only show you the (amazing) connection that I've got here Razz
cybersa
In my home,
BSNL - 850INR ( ~15 USD )
Unlimited Plan - Speed 1 Mbps upto 6GB after that 512 Kbps

For my mobile:
Vodafone 3G Pack - 124INR (~ 2USD)
1GB Limited plan - Speed 21Mbps.

@Marcuzzo
Really amazing speed.
You can download your need files at your office. Wink
sonam
I have 8Mbps/768kbps for ~32 U$ but in this price is included 1500 minutes free land line calls.

Sonam
dude_xyx
My connected is 7Mbps / 1 Mbps and cost be around $15 per month. But I get only 35 GB. I can get upto 50GB if I pay $25. But right now this package is enough.
grofet
I have unlimited 1.73 Mbps / 0.11 Mbps internet connection for about $32 USD per month. I think it's better than nothing. Quite expensive but i think it's better than other internet service provider. Fast internet is expensive in my country. My country have too much island and sea, so i think connecting the internet fiber optic cable is so difficult.
jajarvin
The use of net is included in my apparment's rent. So basically it is free to use internet.
Of course it costs something?
standready
Wow, some of you have fast speeds. All choices around me cost too much. I am reviewing at my options right now maybe a 'fixed wireless broadband' - 4M down/1M up unlimited at $50 USD per month seems about the most cost effective.
Vanilla
I believe my internet is too expensive for the price we're paying for it. As you can see, 1 mbps (with a monthly limit of 80 giga) for something around 60 reais (30$ or so). Since we have a discount because the same internet provider is also our phone and cable provider, it is "cheaper". But I hate the provider. Every month or so they do something wrong with our bill and I need to call them to complain. It's hell on Earth, I tell you. Besides the problems we have with traffic shaping from time to time. Evil or Very Mad

tdorschner
Wisconsin: $34.95 for a slow cable internet. It's pretty much robbery. And Time Warner keeps jacking their rates up with no notice.
jamesparker
It do not cost me too much, its ok
Marcuzzo
tdorschner wrote:
And Time Warner keeps jacking their rates up with no notice.

I don't think this is even legal in Belgium
sysna
24Mbps/2Mbps , for around 23$ per month, not that bad but lags a lot if you want to see youtube HD.
zacky
Well here in my PH is very expensive.

In PHP 2,000 (peso) which equivalent around $45 USD for DL: 5 mbps | UL : 1 mbps "unlimited" although recently I just discovered that it has a cap around 10 GB per day.

Worst is you cannot even reach to its maximum capability.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
rx9876
zacky wrote:
Well here in my PH is very expensive.

In PHP 2,000 (peso) which equivalent around $45 USD for DL: 5 mbps | UL : 1 mbps "unlimited" although recently I just discovered that it has a cap around 10 GB per day.

Worst is you cannot even reach to its maximum capability.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

It's slightly expensive than my provider.
The bandwidth usage cap is annoyed,
however it's not easy to exceed, if people use the network after work.
I think the cap 10GB is acceptable if I only use network 6 at night.
bukaida
OOPs , in INDIA, the charge as well as service is horrible ( Specially BSNL Broadband). The 3G services are not available everywhere and are too costly. It is still a long way to go to have live streaming. Here the call centers and BPOs are one of the prime industries. Still the internet service and cost are at pre-historic era.
spinout
Mine is 24 mbps adsl - and in practical I got 16 mbps down and 1 up... And the price has been the same for many years 300 sek per month aprox 35 USD per month- not cheap but installation was free.
william
I pay $29.99/month for 25 mbps down and 5 mbps up. It's supposedly unlimited bandwidth now, though this ISP wasn't always like that. I actually can't really complain for the price, since the only time I paid less than this for home broadband, I only got 256 kbps down and up. And I remember the 5 mbps down connection I used to have was around $45/month. I don't like how they throttle certain traffic, but beyond that, it's pretty decent for the money.

Now, if I'm in a major city, LTE on my phone pummels it with download speeds around 35 mbps, and the ping is actually not bad. And, it actually costs less.
tonberry
I live in Poland and have a download speed of 4 megabytes per second and upload speed of 0.5 megabytes per second. The price is 14 Euro and I get TV "decoder" with something like 120 channels extra. "Decoder", because the TV streams through the internet and is not a traditional antenna cable thingy.
playfungames
codegeek, I too live where you live and I use the same internet that you use. I pay 1017 (900 charge + 117 tax) that is around $10 like you said for my monthly internet 192 kbits/s. My download rate also is maxed at 28 kilobytes per second while the average seems to be 20 KB/s. Nepal telecommunication does provide us a random speed bump where our download speed becomes 1 Mbits/s while the upload speed remains the same. At this bumped up speed, download rate averages at around 100 kilobytes per second.

I find that the internet speed is ok these days. I see a lot of my friends complaining I think that we pay a lot less when we compare our price to other frihosters' internet connection charges. Such a problem will still be there as we have to buy/import our international bandwidth and that costs more. It is comparable to the higher price of electronics that we have to pay than people living in the west.

Have you tried using other providers like WorldLink's 10 mbit/s 20GB monthly limited connection?
Utopia GFR
Costs me about 95$ (more or less 70) per month and it's a private access, pretty much expensive for what it is.

Location is Belgium.

codegeek
playfungames wrote:
codegeek, I too live where you live and I use the same internet that you use. I pay 1017 (900 charge + 117 tax) that is around $10 like you said for my monthly internet 192 kbits/s. My download rate also is maxed at 28 kilobytes per second while the average seems to be 20 KB/s. Nepal telecommunication does provide us a random speed bump where our download speed becomes 1 Mbits/s while the upload speed remains the same. At this bumped up speed, download rate averages at around 100 kilobytes per second.

I find that the internet speed is ok these days. I see a lot of my friends complaining I think that we pay a lot less when we compare our price to other frihosters' internet connection charges. Such a problem will still be there as we have to buy/import our international bandwidth and that costs more. It is comparable to the higher price of electronics that we have to pay than people living in the west.

Have you tried using other providers like WorldLink's 10 mbit/s 20GB monthly limited connection?

Tired of the painfully slow ADSL connection, I recently changed my ISP and got a faster connection of 1 Mbps. I find it quite a bit faster than ADSL. Plus, the occassional speed bump means I sometimes get upto 5 mbps which is incredibly fast, at least for me. Very Happy

Here's what I've got going right now:

Pippo90
20 Mb/s at around USD 50 per month. But I could have the insane speed of 120 Mb/s at USD 60!
deanhills
That looks great Codegeek. I've been testing mine as I purchased myself a router a couple of days ago. Reason being that the ethernet cable connection of my ISP doesn't fit into my Toshiba Laptop. It was just slightly too big. So my friendly vendor in our industrial area here suggested a D-Link router that works like a song. Didn't even need to get software. I now plug my ethernet cable from the wall directly into the router, and then another ethernet cable each from my desktop and laptop computers to the router. Am glad I didn't have to get WiFi to sort out the problem as never really liked the idea of WiFi from a security point of view.

Any way, I'm digressing now. I was curious to see whether this new setup would effect my Internet speed. And it didn't. But while I was checking came to realize how little upload speed I had. Like 1.96 mbps. One could have 9.7 mbps download speed like I have (at a huge price) and it is still very slow with the 1.96 upload. So that's why I think yours is perfect. And I'm almost certain much faster than mine.
cybersa
Installed broadband in my room.
Speed:2Mbps upto 8GB then 512kbs. (Unlimited)
Cost: 800INR/Month (~13USD)
catscratches
A 10Mbps connection is part of my rent. I don't usually need any more. It's fine for streaming HD videos and when it comes to downloads I tend to be fairly patient.
deanhills
catscratches wrote:
A 10Mbps connection is part of my rent. I don't usually need any more. It's fine for streaming HD videos and when it comes to downloads I tend to be fairly patient.
Interesting that it is part of your rent. While I was on holiday I was thinking that it may not take very long for Wireless to be available every where, even in the streets, and paid for by rates and taxes. As a public instead of a private service.
catscratches
deanhills wrote:
catscratches wrote:
Interesting that it is part of your rent. While I was on holiday I was thinking that it may not take very long for Wireless to be available every where, even in the streets, and paid for by rates and taxes. As a public instead of a private service.
It's becoming relatively common for student housing, not so much for regular apartments.
tonberry
Deanhills: Some landlords do that, it's easier this way. If you'd order on your own, guys might want to drill through the walls, install an anntennae etc. Providing TV and internet makes things easier and the offer looks cooler in the ads as well.

LTE is the thing that might make it like that in the future. It's not as popular as it needs to be in most of the world yet, but it's getting there. Whether internet operators are looking for a permanent switch from cable for most of their customers one day or not though, I have no clue Smile And then there is a matter of stability - I play Quake Live a lot for example and if my ping would jump a lot this would make any multiplayer game unplayable. I don't know if wireless is reliable for internet play (we know most wireless keyboards and mice are not, so...)
euskalcraft
Spain is VERY VERY expensive Sad

Euskaltel 30Mb/3Mb 45.
deanhills
tonberry wrote:
Deanhills: Some landlords do that, it's easier this way. If you'd order on your own, guys might want to drill through the walls, install an anntennae etc. Providing TV and internet makes things easier and the offer looks cooler in the ads as well.

LTE is the thing that might make it like that in the future. It's not as popular as it needs to be in most of the world yet, but it's getting there. Whether internet operators are looking for a permanent switch from cable for most of their customers one day or not though, I have no clue Smile And then there is a matter of stability - I play Quake Live a lot for example and if my ping would jump a lot this would make any multiplayer game unplayable. I don't know if wireless is reliable for internet play (we know most wireless keyboards and mice are not, so...)
Am looking forward to that as that makes great sense.
coolclay
Well mine is actually free! Well to me it's free, someone else pays for it though. I live in a downtown area and there are lots of networks around. I just had to meet a few neighbors, and make some friends. Most people don't even use the majority of their bandwidth so sharing it with a few people doesn't really change a whole lot!

I don't know why more people don't share internet connections (and most things for that matter).
playfungames
codegeek wrote:

Tired of the painfully slow ADSL connection, I recently changed my ISP and got a faster connection of 1 Mbps. I find it quite a bit faster than ADSL. Plus, the occassional speed bump means I sometimes get upto 5 mbps which is incredibly fast, at least for me. Very Happy

Here's what I've got going right now:

Wow, amazing speed for you even though you live in Nepal. I wish I could get such download and upload speeds like you. I could get so much work done.

Anyways, I'v never heard about the ISP Otel Communication. They seem to be really good. How much do they charge?

Also, I am pretty sure that they are not available in my area.
EsCoRdIa
24 mbs 30 euro per month
rayval
1Gbps (yeah, that's 1000Mbps) download, unlimited traffic, and I also got as bonus a 4G SIM for my phone with unlimited traffic too.

I actually had to buy a Gigabit network adapter and add an SSD to my computer so I can actually use that insane download speed.

All that for $15/mo. Not even kidding.
Nyasro
512 Kbps @ $15 per month.
I gues this is expensive Smile but have no other choice.
rx9876
rayval wrote:
1Gbps (yeah, that's 1000Mbps) download, unlimited traffic, and I also got as bonus a 4G SIM for my phone with unlimited traffic too.

I actually had to buy a Gigabit network adapter and add an SSD to my computer so I can actually use that insane download speed.

All that for $15/mo. Not even kidding.

This speed cost ratio is amazing!
This 4G unlimited SIM + 1G unlimited fiber will cost me USD$200.
It's so incredible.
spinout
Mine has (adsl) have gone bad the latest time and I even bougt a new router from Asus. I don't know but the old netgear router was more reliable than this new asus even though the asus is a bit faster. Even the range was better on the netgear. But the problem with the netgear is that it got old and when I updated the software it died... Not even a reset worked to factory...
Simonjw
I'm based in South Africa, currently on my own network which is run through my business.

It is FTTH and at 20mbps with 1:1 ratio. (20mbits upload and download). This costs the customer ZAR 600 (52.89 USD) p/m with a once off ZAR 500 (44.07 USD) installation and activation fee.

This comes with a dedicated IP address, unlimited and unshaped data in 12 hour intervals on international traffic. Local traffic is double the speed of the line as this is one of the perks to being on our network.

I previously had ADSL around 14 months ago and it was not the greatest speed ever at 4mbits down and can't even remember the up. Was the worst connection ever.