FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any Demandware Devs here?

zacky
Marcuzzo
what is DemandWare?

EDIT: I googled it... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demandware Rolling Eyes

EDIT 2: You asked a similar question 2 years ago http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-1115795.html#1115795 Laughing
zacky
Yeah I asked about it 2 years ago.

Well I just wonder if there are active people here using Demandware so we can have sort of Q & A here the eCommerce platform
diabetic
zacky wrote:

I used Demandware.

It's basically a weird platform that is built around files that calls files that call files that calls files that calls files, that calls files built on top of Java. Although, you almost don't see any Java, but it's there. You don't have any direct database access (STRIKE 1, 2, and 3), which is horrible for any dev team. You're basically at their mercy about small basic things and they do have internal demandware forums, that are very, very inactive. I would post a question up there, it would get 1 view, and a week later I would figure out how to do it myself and (like a moron) posted the solution and 2-3 customers chimed in thanking me so very much. There's a lot of unique demandware stuff (weird XML layouts that connect to their backend pieces) that you simply can't go online to find out or go to stackoverflow. It's a huge money operation and they want you to buy time with them. We were able to guess our way through, even after acing their "test". It was cringe worthy using Demandware. Things that would take our team seconds to do in PHP or Java, would take days to do in Demandware. In the end, it was super annoying to use their fake language, but they do provide great tools for non devs with admin tools and reports - they are all about convincing the money makers of a company to use them. Very dev unfriendly. German based.
zacky
diabetic wrote:
zacky wrote:

I used Demandware.

It's basically a weird platform that is built around files that calls files that call files that calls files that calls files, that calls files built on top of Java. Although, you almost don't see any Java, but it's there. You don't have any direct database access (STRIKE 1, 2, and 3), which is horrible for any dev team. You're basically at their mercy about small basic things and they do have internal demandware forums, that are very, very inactive. I would post a question up there, it would get 1 view, and a week later I would figure out how to do it myself and (like a moron) posted the solution and 2-3 customers chimed in thanking me so very much. There's a lot of unique demandware stuff (weird XML layouts that connect to their backend pieces) that you simply can't go online to find out or go to stackoverflow. It's a huge money operation and they want you to buy time with them. We were able to guess our way through, even after acing their "test". It was cringe worthy using Demandware. Things that would take our team seconds to do in PHP or Java, would take days to do in Demandware. In the end, it was super annoying to use their fake language, but they do provide great tools for non devs with admin tools and reports - they are all about convincing the money makers of a company to use them. Very dev unfriendly. German based.

While reading this, I just can't stop smiling as I had the same expression when I started with Demandware 6 years ago. But glad it's getting matured now and there are some big steps that Demandware (Salesforce Commerce Cloud) does after they have purchased by Salesforce.

Well it's an Enterprise Solution so you can really expect that everything needs to have $$$ before things get moving. By the way, it's an Ecma + Java = DS Script (Demandware Script) that I use to call "Java Framework". But now they are supporting commonJS modules and JavaScript Controllers as an alternative to "Pipeline" or the XML GUI thing.