FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows XP and SATA hdds.

Arin
Hello.

I'd like to ask all of you about such problem:

Is your Win XP randomly crashing when it is installed on a SATA hdd? I have random blue screens on my pc since I've switched myself on serial ata. I thought that this is only my pc problem, maybe something other than sata like SP 2 messing, but recently i got exactly same problem on completely different pc with fresh XP installation, without SP. Anyone with a clue what may be a problem?

Cheers,
Arin.
waiteck
Once I have a blue screen problem. And I solved it by removing one of my 3 firewalls (Norman). Till now, I got none of the blue screens anymore.
Arin
Well, I'm kinda sure that this isn't any custom software problem, since blue screens appear on fresh Win XP install. And only thing which is same is that Serial ATA hdd.

Cheers,
Arin.
waiteck
Did you overclock?
Arin
waiteck wrote:
Did you overclock?

Nope. Everything on default.

Sometimes XP just started - I barely open Firefox, and crash.

And sometimes uptime is like 26 hours...

Confusing..

Cheers,
Arin.
waiteck
If you suspect that the SATA drive is causing you problems, Try removing it temp so that you can check whether its the cause of it. If so, you can ask the manufacturer of th hard disk.

Anyway.. you can search the error on the blue screen in yahoo. you will find similar cases where its solved.
Arin
waiteck wrote:
If you suspect that the SATA drive is causing you problems, Try removing it temp so that you can check whether its the cause of it. If so, you can ask the manufacturer of th hard disk.

Anyway.. you can search the error on the blue screen in yahoo. you will find similar cases where its solved.

It will be hard coz I have only SATA hdd Smile. XP is installed there. But thanks for the hint, I will look for the code error.

Cheers,
Arin.
bananaphone
Did you just copy all you files from the old hard drive to the new one - remember that you need to wipe the old disk.

Otherwise a program might try to run a file from both hard drives at once.
GrimReaper77
Might not be the case but you may have a virus/trojan. I always recommend installing an anti-virus AND a firewall before connecting a fresh XP installation to the internet or any open network.

To my knowledge, once your motherboard natively supports sata, and Windows installs with no problems, then the hard drive itself is not the issue.
gh0stface
When you installed Windows XP onto your SATA HDD, did you install the SATA driver at the begining of the installation?

Windows XP, for a fresh installation, I don't remmeber what it asks, but it'll say somethign about hitting F6. That is what you need to do. Hit F6 and install the SATA driver before you install Windows.
Sinisterthief
I have also an SATA hdd, but my XP works fine.
even if i connect my pc to the internet without any protection for months.

Only my fault was that i wanted to overclock and since then my hdd is a little corrupted.

But he works fine with XP
technology.sponge
windows xp is not very sata friendly, check u have the most updated whql certified drivers for the hdds nd controllers. the setup for xp doesn't even support sata!!!!! all the poor users have to load the drivers from floppy during setup.

waiteck - u shud not b having 3 firewalls on ur pc; how u installed all 3 without setup programs conflicting is amazing. most brand of firewall will recognize the built in one in xp and override and disable it, having 3 is totally excessive

if u need THAT MUCH PROTECTION get a hardware firewall
Dino
try to download a new drivers for your sata raid controller, i had similar problem until I reinstalled controller`s drivers