FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CD Drives disapperd

GiLaD
Hi guys, I have a little problem...
Today, when I really wanted to play one of my nostalgic games that I have in my collection, I pulled the CD out of my file and I inserted it into the CD drive. I waited some time, but the CD didn't load automaticly so I went to "My Computer" and discoverd that the CD drives are gone although they're installed & plugged.

Screenshot: http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/7881/wtf5cw.png

What should I do to bring the CD drives back?

Thanks,
Gilad.
waiteck
Try restarting your computer. If problem still persist, check the Device manager to see if your drive is really there. If not, off your computer fully and check to make sure that the wires connected to the disc drive is not loose. Or perhaps your dik drive is old?
steveadams617
Doesn't sound good. Try deleting the drive in the device manager and rebooting. If it's working, the operating system will try to re-install it.

The good new is that these drives are very, very cheap. Try posting on craigslist and someone is bound to give you one out of an old machine.
steveadams617
You might try a different CD-Rom, too, just to make sure.
GiLaD
I'll try this. What it says in the Device Manager that the driver is installed but Windows can't detect it.
I tried troubleshooting but it's not so effective.

Another screenshot: http://img349.imageshack.us/img349/8606/untitled5fh.png
deca
My cousin had this problem. He worked on it for two weeks. He then gave up and reinstalled the OS. After the re-installation everything worked fine!
bananaphone
I'd say download the latest drivers from the site (make sure they are the right ones) and update the frimware of the drives.

Oh, and can a moderator move this to computer support.
mOrpheuS
Try this if you are sure that the physical connections are alright.
and only if you are absolutely sure of what you are doing.

First you must find out which IDE channel your CD-Rom is connected to (usually the secondary channel) you can find this by looking where your CD-Rom is connected to the motherboard from the BIOS.

Go to device manager
Now uninstall this IDE channel.

Hit "scan for recent hardware changes" on the device manager (or just reboot),
When windows detects the "new" IDE channel, it'll also bring along all the devices connected to it and you'll get your drive back.

Let us know how it goes.
straat18
yea that happends to me once and i did a reformat and they where back
drpiga
Maybe answer is to late to help you out,but you don't need to reformat a drive because of this.Everything you need you have on your machine.
I've try this on my machine and helped to me so hope thet will do the same on yours.
Follow this steps carefully and a good thing would be to backup your registry before doing this

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class
Key Name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Value Data: [Delete All Value Data from UpperFilters and LowerFilters]
Note: Do not delete the Key or the Multi-String Values. Delete only the data values.
Exit Registry and Reboot

Those modifications restores missing drivers in Windows...