FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Next country .... ????

Which country do you like of the ones that are listed here?
Canada
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
South Africa
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ecuador
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mexico
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Turkey
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
None of the above
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Not sure
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

deanhills
OK, so September is approaching fast and I don't have the foggiest where to go when my contract here in the UAE comes to an end. I'm originally from South Africa, however have been a citizen of Canada for most of my years. And have lived for a few years in the UAE. I don't think I'm ready to leave yet, however one doesn't have a choice in the UAE. There is no such thing as citizenship here, which I don't think I'd have applied for any way, but if one doesn't have a job here, one can't live here.

OK so what options are there?

1. South Africa
Great country. I have many good friends and close family there. However politically and security wise it is very unstable. Also inflation is very high. One has to have lots of money to be able to afford to live in safe and secure gated community. One of the biggest reasons I left South Africa is that I like to be able to move free without having to look over my shoulder all of the time. Another problem is a growing struggle with water supply as the population is exploding.

2. Canada
GREAT country. Totally love what it stands for, particularly being against discrimination against race, sex, about everything that can be discriminated against. Not that people aren't doing it, but there is a focus on it being wrong to do. And I like it. I really like Vancouver very much. Stanley Park and well, it has been a home for a very long while and suits me well. Only problem is finding employment and cost of living is VERY high. Housing is completely unaffordable.

3. Ecuador
So I checked out Ecuador two years ago. GREAT country too. Relatively low cost of living. Nice people. BUT, has some serious security issues, almost the same as in South Africa. Except not quite as violent, but one would probably have to look over one's shoulder again. And I'd have to learn to speak Spanish. The West Coast looks great though. Or inland near Cuenca and the mountains. Lots of water and great soil for healthy affordable food. Plenty of fresh unpolluted air.

4. Turkey
I haven't been to Turkey before, so probably should make it a destination this year, at least for a few days, just to check it out. From what I heard, depending where one finds oneself as it is a BIG country, it can be a good experience. Except of course I can't speak the language. And will need to check it out first.

5. Mexico
I haven't been to Mexico before, probably could work out well too. Same pros and cons - same as for Ecuador - apply.

6. Other
Plenty of other places I haven't seen yet.

Any other ideas? If it were you, where would you be headed to?
Blaster
You don't have the states listed so i picked Canada. I've never been to Canada but have talked to many people from there. Its in my mind the closest thing to living in the states as you can get. The only other place I could see myself living besides Canada and the US is prolly Australia.

Any reason you didn't pick the US?

And my reason agaist Mexico is 2 things. Need to learn spanish. And depending on where you are it isn't really the safest place to be. Don't drink the water!
truespeed
Canada looks the safest option on your list,and probably the one where you will be most happy,after that I would say Turkey,a good cultural mix of peoples and some good football teams . Wink
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
Canada looks the safest option on your list,and probably the one where you will be most happy,after that I would say Turkey,a good cultural mix of peoples and some good football teams . Wink
True in many ways as well. Like most things work, and internet speed would be great.

Blaster wrote:
Any reason you didn't pick the US?
Probably because it would be a struggle to get citizenshp, but weatherwise of course parts of the US are much better than Canada. I particularly like southern Arizona and New-Mexico.
codegeek
Why don't you come to Nepal? It's beautiful. And pretty cheap! Very Happy
deanhills
codegeek wrote:
Aha .... that sounds like a GREAT idea. And peaceful too I believe. And plenty of fresh air and water.
codegeek
deanhills wrote:
codegeek wrote:
AAnd plenty of fresh air and water.

Well, not in the capital city, but I don't think most tourists spend a lot of time in Kathmandu anyways. There are places like Pokhara which offer a combination of basic amenities as well as fresh air and water. All in all, not a bad place to stay for a few weeks or months.
deanhills
codegeek wrote:
deanhills wrote:
codegeek wrote:
AAnd plenty of fresh air and water.

Well, not in the capital city, but I don't think most tourists spend a lot of time in Kathmandu anyways. There are places like Pokhara which offer a combination of basic amenities as well as fresh air and water. All in all, not a bad place to stay for a few weeks or months.
I had a friend who was in Nepal, and said the same thing about the capital city. They regretted staying so long in it as she says the best part of the holiday in Nepal is when they were travelling in the country side. Will definitely think about visiting Pokhara. Thanks for the heads up! Cool
oliviafoster01
England (London) (Paris) is the next country.
chartcentral
Among the countries listed above, my choice would be Canada. Smile
giorgoslp
GREECE FOR EVER
deanhills
chartcentral wrote:
Among the countries listed above, my choice would be Canada. Smile
Canada is a GREAT country for sure. Just damn cold in winter. Which in a way is a good thing perhaps, as at least that keeps the population under control. For the same reason New Zealand is able to keep its numbers under control too. Razz