FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why did Russia annex Crimea?

deanhills
OK, so we know that all kinds of games were played so Russia could have enough reason to annex Crimea. Wonder whether Russia was responsible for all of the clashes that led up to the annexation as well. Can't help but wonder whether there is an entirely different motive here on both sides - i.e. US and Russia. Oil and Gas? Both recognize the Ukraine is an important strategic country with respect to control of critical energy pipeline routes and want to ensure it remains in their own sphere of influence. Total corruption allover as well. Putin has a personal financial interest in Gazprom and a personal interest to annex Crimea.

Quote:
Why go in? The answer, we think, is simple: oil and gas. Putin’s whole campaign against Ukraine could be nothing more than a land grab to ensure that Gazprom, a company in which he has considerable personal interest, controls who, how and when exploration and extraction will begin.

According to Kremlin insiders the annexation of Crimea has been 6 years in the planning.

By annexing all the land adjoining the Black Sea, Russia would also annex the offshore rights and anything found therein. It doesn’t matter that as of today the discoveries have been relatively small. If serious quantities of oil and gas were to discovered it will be too late - and that is a risk President Putin would not be prepared to take, as it would undermine his entire economic structure.

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/oil-and-gas-could-explain-putins-costly-attempt-to-control-the-crimea-9193464.html
Peterssidan
Crimea is a bit special because Russia already had a military base there and the people living there seems to be mostly in favour of Russia. Taking Crimea was relatively easy to motivate and no war was necessary.

I think the reason for doing this now is because they feel they are losing Ukraine to the EU so they try to grab what they can. If Russia wants to take more parts of Ukraine I think they will only take the easternmost parts that are more in favour of Russia but that is probably a much riskier move than Crimea was. They will probably have to wait for the protests to escalate and then come in "rescuing" the people.

I don't think it's totally wrong of Russia to take Crimea and possibly other parts of Ukraine that want to be part of Russia but I wish it could be handled in a more democratic way (but I guess that is to much to expect from Russia).

The leaders of the west condemns Russia's actions but to me it's just empty words. For me to take them serious they would need to also criticize some of the things that's happening in Ukraine or at least not paint everything in black and white. It's too obvious they are just looking at their own interests and what matters is who's on their side.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
The leaders of the west condemns Russia's actions but to me it's just empty words. For me to take them serious they would need to also criticize some of the things that's happening in Ukraine or at least not paint everything in black and white. It's too obvious they are just looking at their own interests and what matters is who's on their side.
True. Particularly the manipulating role of the US in the background, not only in the Ukraine, but everywhere in the world and specifically in the Middle East in Syria. It is the very last country in the world, particularly after its invasion of Iraq that should be pointing fingers at any one else.
Klaw 2
Peterssidan wrote:
Crimea is a bit special because Russia already had a military base there and the people living there seems to be mostly in favour of Russia. Taking Crimea was relatively easy to motivate and no war was necessary.

I think the reason for doing this now is because they feel they are losing Ukraine to the EU so they try to grab what they can. If Russia wants to take more parts of Ukraine I think they will only take the easternmost parts that are more in favour of Russia but that is probably a much riskier move than Crimea was. They will probably have to wait for the protests to escalate and then come in "rescuing" the people.

I don't think it's totally wrong of Russia to take Crimea and possibly other parts of Ukraine that want to be part of Russia but I wish it could be handled in a more democratic way (but I guess that is to much to expect from Russia).

In every country there are regions where there are different people. If you are gonna aply this to every country every single border has to be redrawn... and what about regions where there is a 50/50 split?
There are plenty regions in russia that want to join other contries or become independant and Russia just wont let them...

What Russia did is just plain wrong...

The reason putin annexed the crimea is simply power... he doesnt give a rats ass about people... And russias military is dependant of the most eastern parts of Ukraine (for rockets icbm's etc) so Putin wil try to take that area too.
Peterssidan
Klaw 2 wrote:
In every country there are regions where there are different people. If you are gonna aply this to every country every single border has to be redrawn... and what about regions where there is a 50/50 split?
There are plenty regions in russia that want to join other contries or become independant and Russia just wont let them...

I don't see what's so bad about having to redraw borders if the people living there wants it. I think all regions everywhere should be allowed to do break loose of their country. Just let them vote. I know this kind of decision should not be taken lightly so I think it would probably be best if there were two referendums. If the first referendum ended with a "yes" then there should be another referendum 4 years after and if that also ends with a "yes" only then the change should be made. This way you avoid rush decisions and people and politicians get plenty of time to argue and think it over.
coolclay
I agree with most everything so far. I don't really know who Russia, the EU, and the US are trying to fool with this ridiculous stunt.

This US and EU seem to think it is ok when pro-EU protestors overtake government buildings and overthrow the government. But when pro-Russian protestors do it somehow they get labeled terrorists, and Russian military. All this blah blah blah and empty rhetoric from the US makes me sick!

On the other hand here is Russia, who may or may not actually be concerned about ethnic Russians in the country, but is definitely concerned about the monetary ramifications of the ouster of Yanukovych.

It's just getting ridiculous the perpetual cycle of extremely obvious lies, and use of the media to fight this would could be looked at as an example of the extremely flawed relationship between western powers and Russia.

It's just another example of the underground war being waged between western powers and Russia. E.g. Russia is providing Syrian government with weapons, the US is supplying Syrian rebels with weapons= Massive bloodshed and more global instability.
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
It's just getting ridiculous the perpetual cycle of extremely obvious lies, and use of the media to fight this would could be looked at as an example of the extremely flawed relationship between western powers and Russia.
I find the lies and using the media to spread the lies alarming. Latest are news reports of Russian fighter aircraft spotted over the UK and the Netherlands. They've been spotted before of course, but not much of that mentioned in the news. All of a sudden it becomes an enormous event.

At least the BBC did mention that this happens from time to time:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-27130125

But this report creates alarming news:

http://news.sky.com/story/1247985/raf-jet-chases-russian-planes-away-from-uk
coolclay
It's quite the powder keg moment. One small spark has the potential of flaring up a massive war (dare I say WWIII). All of this drawing lines in the sand leaves leaders helpless to hold back once the line has been crossed in order to save face. It really is scary stuff.

Throw in all the other uncertainties (China, North Korea, Iran) and all the other unstable countries with something to prove.

IMHO the global economy is the one thing that has saved us from another world war thus far. But the global economy is in the sh1t can so I think the domino's are just being lined up and are just waiting to fall.
Pippo90
Because Putin is an authoritarian leader of a country which is suffering a deep economic and demographic crisis, and in order to remain in charge he must find a common external enemy to unify his s̶u̶b̶j̶e̶c̶t̶s̶ people, like all authoritarian governments usually do when they face a crisis.
Oleksandr_Koryttsev
Because Putin is greedy
profa
Russia annexation of Crimea was legal unlike USA intervention in Kosovo and Iraq.
Possum
The real truth is they didn't. They just got it back. Nikita Kruchev who was Ukrainian and loved Crimea gave it to the Ukraine. He had no right to do so.

To put things into perspective however. There are parts of Russia that they took off Finland. Many people in these areas want a referendum to leave Russia but are not allowed to..
Klaw 2
profa wrote:
Russia annexation of Crimea was legal unlike USA intervention in Kosovo and Iraq.

It wasn't legal according to Ukrainian law and international law.
And why do you people always cry "but America..."

Possum wrote:
The real truth is they didn't. They just got it back. Nikita Kruchev who was Ukrainian and loved Crimea gave it to the Ukraine. He had no right to do so.

To put things into perspective however. There are parts of Russia that they took off Finland. Many people in these areas want a referendum to leave Russia but are not allowed to..

The truth us they did, according to the Budapest Memorandum Crimea is part of Ukraine. Putin send troops there and then held a referendum, and since Russia isn't exactly a shining light of democracy you can't trust the outcome one bit.
Possum
Thank you.. I never knew about the Budapest Memorandum. But I guess there had to be some sort of agreement. However Crimea seems to be at peace. And that is very important. The new government in Keiv is not legal either. The way I see it is that too many outside effluences are tearing Ukraine up.

Its just so very very sad...
Klaw 2
Wel "seems" is the right word;
The crimea is having massive problems right now; economical as wel as racial those problems started when it became part of Russia. And the corruption didn't get any better. And even if it was at peace it still wouldn't make it legal.

And the crimea being at peace now doesn't justify suddenly deploying a bunch of troops there and then having a "referendum" a year and a half ago.

As for the legality of the government in Ukraine;
Yes the president was removed from power and it didn't completely go according to the law but the majority of the parliament, including his own party members, voted to have him removed. (What are you supposed to do when your president runs of?) But all of that doesn't matters now because since then there have been new elections for the parliament and the position of president.
And even if the current goverment is illegal; this is an internal affair and it doesn't give Russia the right to annex parts of another country or start a war for that matter.
Possum
Good Point Klaw 2

People should just calm down...
Klaw 2
People in general should stop copy-pasting Russian propaganda. And Russia should stop invading other countries...