FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 - what happened to it?

deanhills
Guess every one must know about Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 that just went completely missing, presumably somewhere south west of Perth in Australia. Just when I've been thinking the world has become so small that none of us can escape being noticed, a BIG plane goes COMPLETELY missing. How is it possible for something like that to happen?

So what is your theory? What do you thinking happened to the flight, and do you think there are chances they will recover the plane? How is it possible for a plane like that just to go completely OFF the world radar screens?

Summary of Events to Date wrote:
The plane disappeared March 8 on a flight to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur after its transponders, which make the plane visible to commercial radar, were shut off. Military radar picked up the jet just under an hour later, on the other side of the Malay peninsula. Authorities say until then its "movements were consistent with deliberate action by someone on the plane" but have not ruled out anything, including mechanical error.

Police are investigating the pilots and crew for any evidence suggesting they may have hijacked or sabotaged the plane. The backgrounds of the passengers, two-thirds of whom were Chinese, have been checked by local and international investigators and nothing suspicious has been found.

"Investigations may go on and on and on. We have to clear every little thing," Inspector General Khalid Abu Bakar told reporters in Kuala Lumpur. "At the end of the investigations, we may not even know the real cause. We may not even know the reason for this incident."

Police are also investigating the cargo and the food served on the plane to eliminate possible poisoning of passengers and crew, he said.

The search for the plane began over the Gulf of Thailand and South China Sea where the plane's last communications were, and then shifted west to the Strait of Malacca where it was last spotted by military radar. Experts then analyzed hourly satellite "handshakes" between the plane and a satellite and now believe it crashed somewhere in the southern Indian Ocean.

A search there began just over two weeks ago, and now involves at least nine ships and nine planes.

Source: CBS News

Peterssidan
Have they verified that the debris they found actually is from the missing plane yet?

One thing I have though about is the mobile phones of the passengers. If the plane was in the air for as long as they think the passengers would have plenty of time use them to contact the outside world. Is it not possible to call people while flying or can this also have been turned off from the cockpit?

I think it's unlikely to be terrorism because there doesn't seem to be anyone claiming responsibility. Or is it too embarrassing to admit now when they crashed into the ocean instead of an important building as planned?
deanhills
The "yellow" debris turned out to be something to do with fishing. It was not from the plane.

I agree with you, a plane has so much electronics and communication in it, including from passengers, it just doesn't make sense unless who ever took charge of the plane knew how to block communications, like they had with blocking the radar from registering the plane on the radar.

If I were family of the survivors I'd have wondered whether the plane was somewhere else completely and intact. For example, if there was something sophisticated enough on the plane to block the radar from seeing the plane, then it could also fake the plane's presence for satellites to read where it was to come to the conclusion it had gone down in the Indian ocean. There is no real evidence that has been presented so far.

What are the chances if a plane had gone down in the Indian Ocean that there were no debris that came to the surface that had washed somewhere ashore. None of it makes sense to me.
badai
Peterssidan wrote:
Have they verified that the debris they found actually is from the missing plane yet?

One thing I have though about is the mobile phones of the passengers. If the plane was in the air for as long as they think the passengers would have plenty of time use them to contact the outside world. Is it not possible to call people while flying or can this also have been turned off from the cockpit?

I think it's unlikely to be terrorism because there doesn't seem to be anyone claiming responsibility. Or is it too embarrassing to admit now when they crashed into the ocean instead of an important building as planned?

why there are still people think we can use our cellular phone 10,000 feet above ground? it's been 13 years. you never took a flight in 13 years? now go to the toilet and try to make call using your mobile phone. feel free to attach a giant GSM antenna to your phone.
Peterssidan
Excuse my incompitence. I have only been on a plane twice (to and from Spain) and I didn't bring my phone. I thought that in a time like this when people use cell phones and Internet all the time maybe the planes have built in transmitters/receivers that can communicate with satellites or something like that. Oh, well I guess not. That explains why the passengers have not been able to tell us what happened.
Peterssidan
Now they say they have picked up signals of the right frequency. Hopefully it's from the missing plane but let's wait and see.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
Excuse my incompitence. I have only been on a plane twice (to and from Spain) and I didn't bring my phone. I thought that in a time like this when people use cell phones and Internet all the time maybe the planes have built in transmitters/receivers that can communicate with satellites or something like that. Oh, well I guess not. That explains why the passengers have not been able to tell us what happened.
I don't think that is so far off Peterssidan, as I seem to recall during 9/11 when the planes were attacked that cellular phone calls had been made. Although maybe they were flying lower and were in mobile phone range. Above 10,000 ft it may not be possible.

If I don't miss it there are also phones one can use inside the plane. With one's credit card. I'd say the fact that they were not used must have meant that all communications had been deliberately turned off.
Blaster
Saw on the news yesterday that they may be looking for the plane in the wrong place. Didn't really see anything else on it other than that.
Peterssidan
Well, if they search thorough enough they can rule out the areas that they have searched so at least they learn where the plane isn't located and that's helpful too. Wink
deanhills
Gets more bizarre by the day. Last news is that Malaysia and Australia are working on signing a Memorandum of Understanding about the recovery of the debris. When there is no debris. Looks as though at least two countries are confident there is something down there.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-18/australia-malaysia-work-on-deal-over-mh370-recovery/5399466

Looks also as though this is going to be the most expensive search in aviation history:
Quote:
Analysts say the search will be the most expensive in aviation history, with Ravikumar Madavaram, an aviation expert at Frost & Sullivan Asia Pacific, estimating the bill at $100 million so far.

Source: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/minisub-dives-deeper-in-hunt-for-malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370/story-e6frg95x-1226889298155
filipetonga
I think terrorists got hold of the plane and were aiming to crash the plane on an US Embassy somewhere in Asia. US Government realised this and used their latest technology to evaporize the plane
evilryu530
it's very sad, i feel like the momentum of searching for this plane has gone downhill. i feel like they will never find the plane.
badai
deanhills wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:
I don't think that is so far off Peterssidan, as I seem to recall during 9/11 when the planes were attacked that cellular phone calls had been made. Although maybe they were flying lower and were in mobile phone range. Above 10,000 ft it may not be possible.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but just don't take anything at it faced value. Learn how cellular technology work, and then try it yourself. Yes you can get connected for few seconds, but the call will drop, the maximum you can get, I would say at most 30 seconds. The plane it too fast for a proper hand over, and the cellular transmitter is pointing horizontally, with limited range. That is why tall building have to install it's own cellular tower.
supermanlovejan
now MH17...........
MH17 was shoot down over Ukraine..........
supermanlovejan
a malaysia airlines plane with 295 people on board has crashes on eastern ukraine amid claims it was shot down.
the plane was believed to have been mistakenly shot down by pro russian separatists in ukraine using a surface to air missile.

R.I.P MH17
Vanilla
This is so sad. And Malaysia Airlines now is sure to go bankrupt. Imagine something like that, you're minding your business, just siting around in your plane waiting for the trip to end and something like that happen. And it makes that kind of thing even more scary. Guys, don't tempt fate!
Josso
Vanilla wrote:
This is so sad. And Malaysia Airlines now is sure to go bankrupt. Imagine something like that, you're minding your business, just siting around in your plane waiting for the trip to end and something like that happen. And it makes that kind of thing even more scary. Guys, don't tempt fate!

I was thinking this recently, they have a really bad time that they will probably never recover from.
johans
Pilot error i guess.

Thats what i think..
bukaida
It is becoming increasingly fearful to travel by plane. The mortality rate for a plane accident is almost 100%. So may be it is time to think-- Better late than never. Pick some other means of transport which may take more time but will deliver you alive (at least the possibility will be more). Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Insanity
Well, I mean the mortality might be high, but then again how often do airplane accidents really happen? Not that often, I'd say. In fact, wh en you look at the numbers, driving is a lot more dangerous than flying. So many people die every year to car acciddents, yet nobody is going to stop driving. It's probably because dying in an airplane accident looks a lot more dangerous and painful than dying in a car accidenet? Who knows, but the numbers are there.
RosenCruz
Still a mystery. I seriously believe there is a conspiracy around this Rolling Eyes
cpatnaik
RosenCruz wrote:
Still a mystery. I seriously believe there is a conspiracy around this Rolling Eyes

I think either US or Russia were testing a teleportation device.
deanhills
cpatnaik wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:

I think either US or Russia were testing a teleportation device.
haven't heard this one before. Laughing

The one conspiracy theory that was interesting was the one in Russia about the US using that Malaysian Airline to create a bogus crash site with. It's actually interesting that the media could report stories like that as just goes to show how much trust we can put in the media for accurate news reporting. Ever since I heard those conspiracy theories I started to question all of the news we've been receiving by the media in the West. The verdict for me is still open who shot down the airline and what had happened to the Malaysian Airline that completely disappeared.
Nyasro
mystery
ScriptHunter
If the plane crashed in the sea I wonder what kind of plans the hijacker had if he intentionally crashed it or did something happen to the plane maybe?

If the plane never crashed i wonder what happened if some are still alive.
RosenCruz
Malaysian Airlinies will want to forget 2014 so badly
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
Malaysian Airlinies will want to forget 2014 so badly
True. But I still can't understand in this day and age of surveillance every where where we are, they didn't know exactly where it had gone down. Difficult for me to understand.
ivuk
yes it's been a long time since one airline lost 2 planes within a year... this cost the company their independence and now it's state run, over 30% of their staff are losing their job, but I honestly would also feel insecure boarding their planes...