FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

We are back

airh3ad
Thanks bondings the site is back! i was worried we are not able to browse our site

Quote:
frihost ‏@frihost Mar 31

The #Frihost/FFS server is down due to an unannounced move to a different datacenter, the end date unknown. My apologies for the downtime.
Insanity
The great thing is that you can still count of Frihost to be up for most of the time, despite being a free host. I mean even with paid hosts sometimes you get these outages, but I am glad everything is back up. I think Frihost has been pretty reliable for me in the past several years.
airh3ad
Yes insanity you are rigth!!, i been using this hosting for almost 8 years and still pumping btw this is the only free hosting with a great packages, support and other free web hosting offer.
Peterssidan
The forum feels much quicker now compared to the days just before it went down. I hope it stays this way. Very Happy
bukaida
Peterssidan wrote:
The forum feels much quicker now compared to the days just before it went down. I hope it stays this way. Very Happy

Nice said Smile. Sometimes you need to shake someone to keep him/her awake and running.
playfungames
It is nice that this site is live again. I have been trying to visit this site when it went offline. I even thought that there was a possibility that this site was down because of my ISP. All my hosted sites were up at that time. But needless to say, the offline time did give be a fright and I backed up all my files hosted at frihost instantly.
Peterssidan
I think only the hosting accounts on server 2 (*.frih.net) and server 3 (*.frih.org) was affected. The sites hosted at server 1 (*.frihost.net) and server 4 (*.frihost.org) loaded fine for me while the Frihost forum was down.
codegeek
Ah, I'm very glad Frihost is back online. My site was loading fine, but the forums were completely down. I tried to get in multiple times a day. I'm happy that we're back.
deanhills
I'm ecstatic we're up again. You can't imagine the withdrawal symptoms I had to go through. Also feels as though the Forum is going smoother and faster than before. Or is that just my imagination?

Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing
william
Whoa, after trying to get in here for days, I was shocked when it, all of a sudden worked, and at great speed. Shocked I quit checking the Twitter page hours before Bondings posted as well, so I was actually under the assumption that this was actually it for Frihost.
deanhills
william wrote:
I was actually under the assumption that this was actually it for Frihost.
I can't visualize it happening this way though. In fact, I can't visualize it at all.
cybersa
Peterssidan wrote:
I think only the hosting accounts on server 2 (*.frih.net) and server 3 (*.frih.org) was affected. The sites hosted at server 1 (*.frihost.net) and server 4 (*.frihost.org) loaded fine for me while the Frihost forum was down.

Yeah,Server 4 was worked properly during downtime of server 1 & 3.

Thanks to Bondings for his great free service.
william
deanhills wrote:
william wrote:
I was actually under the assumption that this was actually it for Frihost.
I can't visualize it happening this way though. In fact, I can't visualize it at all.

Perhaps not, I guess it's just because other free hosts I've been with disappeared suddenly just like this. I admit, it was mostly just a lingering fear in the back of head.

The recent downtimes have raised concerns for me, but Bondings actually posting about it washed most of them away.
Vanilla
The forum and my blog are both faster than they used to be. I'm really happy we're back! Applause
BigGeek
I was a little worried when because I knew my post points were getting into the negative and I couldn't log on and post. But we are back up and running nicely, good to see! As always thanks to Bondings and the great service that Frihost has given over the last 8 years and I'm looking forward to another 8 years and posting on the forums Very Happy

Good to be back! Cool
chartcentral
Welcome back, Frihost! Now I could post again. Thanks, bondings! Smile
Deline
Thanks God! I even thought that the company had blocked the forum! hehe
truespeed
Google doesn't mess about in removing sites when they are down for a couple of days,I googled frihost yesterday and it was missing from the serps,though it is back now at number one again.
StriderVM
I was feeling gutted literally when I couldn't access Frihost on the last few days. Good to still see part of my "teenage" years still alive. Very Happy
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
Google doesn't mess about in removing sites when they are down for a couple of days,I googled frihost yesterday and it was missing from the serps,though it is back now at number one again.
I noticed that too. Was it my imagination though that we used to have a page rank of 4/10, and looks as though it may have dropped by one point to 3/10?
truespeed
I don't think they drop your page rank down if the site is down for a couple of days. I think page rank 3 seems about right for frihost,it may of had 4 at some point,but it tends to go up and down anyway,my site has had a high of 2,went down to 0 for a long time,currently sits at 1.
deanhills
Wait a minute. I was looking for a historic analysis, and then discovered that it is 4/10 somewhere else. You're right Truespeed. Looks as though it can vary.

http://www.urltrends.com/viewtrend.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.frihost.com&p=rankings&clearcache=yes
rx9876
The firhost forum can't be accessed many days, but my site is working correctly.
However, I don't have many points on hand,
so I am afraid that my site will be closed automatically no matter the forum is up or down.

I just tried to access firhost forum every single day, and it is finally working now.

I have to earn some points to make it positive now.
Peterssidan
rx9876 wrote:
I don't have many points on hand, so I am afraid that my site will be closed automatically no matter the forum is up or down.

Hosting accounts are removed manually and I doubt Bondings will start removing accounts with a few negative points during a period of server problems.
badai
Thank you. Now I can get my point back to positive.
sonam
I am try and try ant try but there are no frihost on Internet. One day, two days, three days... Shocked

It is great to see the forum is back. Dancing

EDIT: I have feeling it is slower then before?!

Sonam
deanhills
sonam wrote:

Sonam
It was really fast last night, and then just after midnight I found it slowing. Felt pretty scary when it did. Hopefully it has to do with some tweaking at Server HQs in North Carolina. Razz

For now however it seems to be running as fast as a Porsche again.
Gregoric
Good to see Frihost back.

However, I have a question: did some of the four servers die together with forums? I got worried about whether I can completely rely on Frihost in the light of something like this happened to server 4, where my sites are hosted.

Of course, I still greatly appreciate the fact that Frihost is free (togetehr with ad-free) and has been 100% reliable as far as my experience goes, but such a question came to my mind. Maybe it's just because Frihost had so high standards and proved well for so long and now Forums died for several days Smile
amagard
Frihost is free and for that price delivers an excellent service. No doubt about it !
I wonder though what happened and even after reading thru this thread here I am not 100 % sure.
After some days without frihost I bumped into some info here on twitter saying that actually server(s) have been moved to a new data center and this move was unplanned.

Somehow I wonder how a server move can be "unplanned" ? Did someone stand up in the morning and said: well, let's unplug those server and move them somewhere else ?

If there is a hardware failure this certainly is an unplanned down time. But a server move ? I just wonder whether this could have been communicated and announced a bit better instead of leaving so many people in the dark - speculating what could have happened to Frihost.
cybersa
deanhills wrote:
sonam wrote:

Sonam
It was really fast last night, and then just after midnight I found it slowing. Felt pretty scary when it did. Hopefully it has to do with some tweaking at Server HQs in North Carolina. Razz

For now however it seems to be running as fast as a Porsche again.

Yesterday i didn't find any slowness.
But now i'm feeling it takes some time to load.
deanhills
cybersa wrote:

Agreed. Like every now and then something is dragging a tiny bit. It has just done this with this post as well.

amagard wrote:
Somehow I wonder how a server move can be "unplanned" ? Did someone stand up in the morning and said: well, let's unplug those server and move them somewhere else ?
I don't blame you Amagard. For lack of specifics. If you like you could read through the featured discussion of the move at Webhosting Talk - all 99 pages of it and you will notice there are still servers that are down, which makes Frihost Server 2 being up and running that more miraculous. You'll see how real that move was. And the experience almost like a Kafka thriller for most of the customers. Somehow everyone's "assets" got caught in the middle of a take-over bid where the new company was fighting against a deadline of 31 March to salvage all of the "assets" and of course Frihost Server 2 was among those.

For some who got 10 days notice, this thread started on 20 March. Bondings (and many other customers if you read the above discussion) was notified almost at the same time when the the servers were powered down ahead of the move. Then nothing afterwards except general notices - you can check the general notices on the BurstNET Website, as all of the customers got versions of the same general message that must have been circulated in mailmerges.
https://support.burst.net/index.php?/News/List/Index/0/0

Here is a general news report on the acquisition of BurstNET by Digiplus:

http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/web-host-burstnet-acquired-digiplus

If you do research on the new company that took BurstNET over, DigiPlus, you won't find much information. As it is brand-new. But if you check out the new owner, JW Ray, then you'll find a former venture capitalist Vice President of Merill Lynch investment fame who specializes in debt acquisitions.

So the picture must have gone as follows. BurstNET the original company and a family business who had hosted Frihost Server 2 and a number of other customers' servers for many years, ran into trouble debt wise. JW Ray recognized its potential for an acquisition, repackaging and rebranding. He apparently worked months to perfect the acquisition and in January was made a CEO of the BurstNET Board. His goal was to take over all of the assets and completely rebrand BurstNET. Maybe it was a tactical move of his to provide customers with as little notice as possible so they wouldn't all panic and jump ship at the same time. So some got 10 days, others (including Frihost) almost nothing. So most of the customers found their servers virtually in hostage at the critical point of the move. Some actually flew from several places in the US to collect their "assets". You'll notice from the Forum discussion at Webhosting Talk total chaos. Nobody knew what was going on, where their servers were, when they would arrive at the new datacentre and when they would be connected up. At one stage some thought that some of the servers had been left behind in Philadelphia at end of 31 March and would become property of the creditors who would be suing BurstNET for unpaid bills.

If you check the Webhosting Talk discussion, you'll notice we're one of the lucky ones to get connected on 2nd of April. There are still many who are down.

I'm still a little worried, but get the picture that we may technically be in better shape as JW Ray has upgraded facilities and wants to show them off for marketing purposes. However, if you check the first post in that Forum, the upgrade goes with higher rates. The improved service will come at a higher price.

For me the miracle lies in when you read those discussions, how tiny Frihost Server 2 has to be in the very large scope of things where a large majority of customers had multiple servers. Frihost Server 2 must have been the equivalent of a little needle in a haystack. And we made it!
Vanilla
deanhills wrote:
cybersa wrote:

Agreed. Like every now and then something is dragging a tiny bit. It has just done this with this post as well.

amagard wrote:
I don't blame you Amagard. For lack of specifics. If you like you could read through the featured discussion of the move at Webhosting Talk - all 99 pages of it and you will notice there are still servers that are down, which makes Frihost Server 2 being up and running that more miraculous. You'll see how real that move was. And the experience almost like a Kafka thriller for most of the customers. Somehow everyone's "assets" got caught in the middle of a take-over bid where the new company was fighting against a deadline of 31 March to salvage all of the "assets" and of course Frihost Server 2 was among those.

For some who got 10 days notice, this thread started on 20 March. Bondings (and many other customers if you read the above discussion) was notified almost at the same time when the the servers were powered down ahead of the move. Then nothing afterwards except general notices - you can check the general notices on the BurstNET Website, as all of the customers got versions of the same general message that must have been circulated in mailmerges.
https://support.burst.net/index.php?/News/List/Index/0/0

Here is a general news report on the acquisition of BurstNET by Digiplus:

http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/web-host-burstnet-acquired-digiplus

If you do research on the new company that took BurstNET over, DigiPlus, you won't find much information. As it is brand-new. But if you check out the new owner, JW Ray, then you'll find a former venture capitalist Vice President of Merill Lynch investment fame who specializes in debt acquisitions.

So the picture must have gone as follows. BurstNET the original company and a family business who had hosted Frihost Server 2 and a number of other customers' servers for many years, ran into trouble debt wise. JW Ray recognized its potential for an acquisition, repackaging and rebranding. He apparently worked months to perfect the acquisition and in January was made a CEO of the BurstNET Board. His goal was to take over all of the assets and completely rebrand BurstNET. Maybe it was a tactical move of his to provide customers with as little notice as possible so they wouldn't all panic and jump ship at the same time. So some got 10 days, others (including Frihost) almost nothing. So most of the customers found their servers virtually in hostage and the critical point of the move. Some actually flew from several places in the US to collect their "assets". You'll notice from the Forum discussion at Webhosting Talk total chaos. Nobody knew what was going on, where their servers were, when they would arrive at the new datacentre and when they would be connected up. And one stage some thought that some of the servers had been left behind in Philadelphia at end of 31 March and would become property of the creditors who would be suing BurstNET for unpaid bills.

If you check the Webhosting Talk discussion, you'll notice we're one of the lucky ones to get connected on 2nd of April. To me it felt like a miracle!

I'm still a little worried, but get the picture that we may technically be in better shape as JW Ray has upgraded facilities and wants to show them off for marketing purposes. However, if you check the first post in that Forum, the upgrade goes with higher rates. The improved service will come at a higher price.

For me the miracle lies in when you read those discussions, how tiny Frihost Server 2 has to be in the very large scope of things where a large majority of customers had multiple servers. Frihost Server 2 must have been the equivalent of a little needle in a haystack. And we made it!

Jesus Dean, can't believe you went all this way to post this information for us. All I can say is that I'm really happy Server 2 made it. Very Happy
deanhills
Vanilla wrote:

Jesus Dean, can't believe you went all this way to post this information for us. All I can say is that I'm really happy Server 2 made it. Very Happy
So am I Vanilla. If you had lived through those discussions maybe you would appreciate the utter relief when Frihost was up again. At the one moment I thought we were done for, and that it would take ages and many reminders before Frihost Server 2 would ever be salvaged in that chaos. And chaos it was - you should really skim some of those pages at Webhosting Talk to appreciate how chaotic and messy the move was. And then when I tried Frihost, definitely not expecting it to be up yesterday, it was up. A GREAT miracle in my book. I'm sure Bondings must have been relieved as well, particularly considering he is so short of time.
Blaster
I agree with william. I thought that was the end of that and frihost wasn't going to live to see its 9th birthday. Well good to know that it is still around and that bondings is still alive.
bukaida
Just out of curiosity, will there be any concession on negative points for those three days ? Laughing
truespeed
I don't think it matters,as the server was down I doubt your points would of gone down,even if they did reset in the negative once it went up again,it would of only been about -5 points.

Also Bondings isn't around,I think we could all disappear for a year and still keep our hosting as they have to be removed manually. Wink
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
I agree with william. I thought that was the end of that and frihost wasn't going to live to see its 9th birthday. Well good to know that it is still around and that bondings is still alive.
Great to see you back Blaster. I wish I had an e-mail or twitter address of yours as I'd have contacted you. Was thinking of you as Scranton was close to where you live. Could have been interesting for you to go and check out the chaos. Razz

By the way, Bondings has a Twitter account where if Frihost is down for a long while you could check up. He doesn't always use it, but you may be able to find some news there when we are down. Which hopefully won't be soon.

https://twitter.com/frihost
truespeed wrote:
Also Bondings isn't around,I think we could all disappear for a year and still keep our hosting as they have to be removed manually. Wink
Absolutely agreed.

I think I'm suffering from a slight post traumatic stress syndrome. Ever since Frihost has been up again it has been difficult for me to log out of Frihost. I'm still following the progress of others too with regard to their servers that are still down. The owner that messed every one up is launching a new winery today, and the guys whose servers were still down were planning to stalk Facebook, but didn't get far. Just imagine being down for 6 days when one has a business, and is losing business, quite horrible to contemplate.
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1358774&page=105
standready
deanhills wrote:
Just imagine being down for 6 days when one has a business, and is losing business, quite horrible to contemplate.

I know exactly what that is like. That is why I have a backup site with another host for those situations.
deanhills
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Just imagine being down for 6 days when one has a business, and is losing business, quite horrible to contemplate.

I know exactly what that is like. That is why I have a backup site with another host for those situations.
Smart planning! Was your Website down as well, i.e. do you have space on Server 2/3?
airh3ad
I was a little worried when because there is no notifications from bonds, lucky i find tweeter account of frihost and we updated. clap clap to all of us guys that we are back.
jamesparker
Well there was a problem browsing it but its good for a long duration.