FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Update some things...

Da Rossa
...like, in the user profile:
ICQ Number, AIM Address, MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger. Who uses those any longer? Especially the first three. They are off for years!

This could make this forum look outdated itself. Actually, the sole fact that this is still running phpBB 2.x. (or is this 3.x with 2.x look/feel)?

I have a feeling this current interface is not touch-friendly. Not that it HAS to be, but buttons designed to be larger to be easier for the fingers are also easier for the mouseclicks. Aiming like a FPS game is not healthy Smile

Another thing that is currently being vastly used is the relative dates (posted 2 minutes ago), instead of the absolute date. Since some people don't like it, that could be a togglable option Smile
Blaster
It is still phpbb 2.xx and bondings stated several times he wouldn't upgrade to phpbb 3.xx. He put a lot of work into writing mods for this forum and didn't want to lose his hard work.
Da Rossa
Yeah but I never told this should be upgraded to 3.x. I value the unique modifications here. A template, on the other hand, could be useful...
But the most important things are those fields in the user profile. Smile
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:
Yeah but I never told this should be upgraded to 3.x. I value the unique modifications here. A template, on the other hand, could be useful...
But the most important things are those fields in the user profile. Smile
Still the same thing that Blaster says applies here too. As far as I know Bondings is the only one who can make changes like that and right now the little time he has available for Frihost is spent on the servers. Making sure they are running, and doing server maintenance that needs to be done, if and when he has time to do so.
Da Rossa
I understand. I was just putting myself in the perspective of a potential new user. Smile Better this way though: Bondings more worried about the reliability of the servers.
Blaster
Yea which is a good thing. Its a simple fix to take these things out I agree with you on that. You simply remove a few lines of code and you are good. But still why really bother in some aspects.
Josso
The forum index header is out of date too
rafael2112
Da Rossa wrote:
ICQ Number, AIM Address, MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger. Who uses those any longer? Especially the first three. They are off for years!

Is a good suggestion, I know phpbb is a easy modification
deanhills
rafael2112 wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:

Not for Frihost. Bondings hand coded so much of this Forum, that it probably will take quite a while to upgrade the Forum to a next version. He'd have to spend hours to fix the codes.
rafael2112
deanhills wrote:
rafael2112 wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:

Not for Frihost. Bondings hand coded so much of this Forum, that it probably will take quite a while to upgrade the Forum to a next version. He'd have to spend hours to fix the codes.

I talked only profile (ICQ Number, AIM Address, MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger) , I've done this on my old forum. Upgrade to phpBB3 understand it would be difficult.
truespeed
There is a new version of phpbb just released,it has a phpbb2 upgrade in it.

The new version also has extensions,similar to what they have in WordPress,so no need anymore to manually edit code,there arent many at the moment but there are lots in development.

If this was my forum I would just upgrade,I see nothing on here that couldn't be added on there,other than a points system,but the points here are meaningless now,no new accounts are being created,domains are not being issued,old minus accounts are not being closed,there was a guy on here who hadn't posted since 2006 and he was surprised to see he still had his hosting.

re: The points,there are one or two extensions in development anyway,not that I think they are needed,accounts if they are created could just be activated on a manual assessment basis.

visiting frihozt is like visiting an internet museum. Smile
deanhills
rafael2112 wrote:

I talked only profile (ICQ Number, AIM Address, MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger) , I've done this on my old forum. Upgrade to phpBB3 understand it would be difficult.
OK got it. Thanks.

truespeed wrote:
The new version also has extensions,similar to what they have in WordPress,so no need anymore to manually edit code,there arent many at the moment but there are lots in development.

[....]

visiting frihozt is like visiting an internet museum. Smile
I rather like frihozt the way it is, the upgrade I'd say is not a luxury however, but a necessity, for security reasons. Although I guess the museum look must have a built-in security of its own. Hackers prefer to go for bright and shiny. Razz

One thing I found though, particularly at one time. Frihost forums must be easy to copy, as your copy cats in China were copying portions of Frihost and publishing it, I think for content and back link purposes.
rafael2112
truespeed wrote:
There is a new version of phpbb just released,it has a phpbb2 upgrade in it.

If this was my forum I would just upgrade,I see nothing on here that couldn't be added on there,other than a points system,but the points here are meaningless now.

Despite the forum not be phpbb3 works much well, there are custom mod so would be difficult to update.