FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

First day of spring

standready
So today is the first day (3/20) of spring (actually 11:57am local time anyway). So I am out this morning and of course winter was taking it's final fury with near 'white-out' snow. Beautiful big snow flakes. The snow did not hold long as sun broke through.
Peterssidan
Yesterday morning the ground was white, but now everything is gone. The only snow left are flowers (Galanthus nivalis).
Blaster
Sorry for your luck. It was in the mid 50s here today when the sun was out. Supposed to be mid 60s saturday but there is still a chance of snow early next week.
standready
This morning woke up to 'lake effect' snow

Sun came out later and melted the snow away even temperature was not even above freezing.
Real snow coming again Monday night.
So much for SPRING!
deanhills
LOVELY photo Stand. Looks FREEZING cold though coming from the much warmer weather in the Middle East. Razz
zimmer
standready wrote:
So today is the first day (3/20) of spring (actually 11:57am local time anyway). So I am out this morning and of course winter was taking it's final fury with near 'white-out' snow. Beautiful big snow flakes. The snow did not hold long as sun broke through.

that would be nice.

I have seen report on USA area a very thick of snow and now spring is on the way. sounds good.
Blaster
I know the feeling. Hit the mid 60s here this past week. Back to 25 this morning and they have snow in the forecast for tomorrow.
cabenqc
spring coming -> sunshine -> grass & flowers -> picnic
standready
cabenqc wrote:
spring coming -> sunshine -> grass & flowers -> picnic

Oh, do tell me when? Temperature is running 20 F below normal and still more snow this morning.
Blaster
Standready I feel the pain. Currently snowing yet again. Not really sticking to the roads but there is about an inch on the ground and my truck was covered.
deanhills
It is raining cats and dogs where I am today - which of course in a country with rain MAYBE two or three times a year, and usually five minutes of it, is quite a novelty. Actually nice to see. It started drizzling overnight, and then during early morning it just came down in buckets and it's still raining at 10:00 a.m. With no real drainage here, it's going to be interesting traffic wise. Razz
standready
deanhills wrote:
It is raining cats and dogs where I am today - which of course in a country with rain MAYBE two or three times a year, and usually five minutes of it, is quite a novelty. Actually nice to see. It started drizzling overnight, and then during early morning it just came down in buckets and it's still raining at 10:00 a.m. With no real drainage here, it's going to be interesting traffic wise. Razz

Bring out the boats!
And don't forget to feed the ducks! laugh
Peterssidan
deanhills wrote:
It is raining cats and dogs where I am today

This sentence made me wonder at first. I thought maybe you mean the rain made the cats and dogs run around the streets like crazy or something, but then I searched it and apparently it's an expression. Never heard of it before.

So you have rain. Here we had snow today, but it melted as soon as it hit the ground, which is fortunate because I don't need more winter.
deanhills
You're right Peterssidan, it's a colloquial type language. I wrote it for Blaster as he picks up on stuff like that too. Razz

The rain here intensified after writing the above post about raining heavily around here. Whole night long. Traffic was hardly moving with plenty of roads under water because of drainage that is more designed for desert type no rain conditions. Also a power outage at one point. Wonder whether it's going to be sunshine tomorrow (oops later today), it's gone 3:20 a.m. in the morning.
truespeed
Up north in the UK they just say "It's pissing down" Smile
Peterssidan
deanhills wrote:
The rain here intensified after writing the above post about raining heavily around here. Whole night long. Traffic was hardly moving with plenty of roads under water because of drainage that is more designed for desert type no rain conditions. Also a power outage at one point. Wonder whether it's going to be sunshine tomorrow (oops later today), it's gone 3:20 a.m. in the morning.

Is heavy rain like that normal? I understand that it doesn't rain very much in deserts but does it normally rain a lot when it do rain?

Here it's dry enough to have a fire ban, but I suspect it's more because of all the dead grass from last year than the lack of moisture.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Is heavy rain like that normal? I understand that it doesn't rain very much in deserts but does it normally rain a lot when it do rain?

Here it's dry enough to have a fire ban, but I suspect it's more because of all the dead grass from last year than the lack of moisture.
No heavy rain is completely abnormal here, particularly rain that carries on for several hours.

Right now the rain is history and we're into wind again. Rain I'm happy with but wind brings dust and all kinds of things that may be harmful to human beings. This is when the clothes they wear here in the Middle East begin to make sense. I.e. maximum coverage.
playfungames
Well, I did not notice much change in weather in the first day of spring. It has been cold in the mornings and nights while hot during the days. I thought that winter was over and still the cold remains during early and late hours.
standready
April 15th and more snow:

Clouds kept me from viewing the 'blood' moon even.
Blaster
It didn't snow here although it did rain a lot and the temps dropped to the mid 40s. Supposed to get to below freezing tonight. Not looking forward to this at all.
standready
I had to laugh as weather people were reporting that my town received seven inches of snow. Does that look like seven of snow in my above picture? Silly weather people. Not even seven millimeters there.
Blaster
7 inches my ass. We got a little bit of a coating thats it. Was gone when I woke up.
myleshi
First day in spring where I live looked a lot like just another day in Winter. For the past few years, our springs have been noticeably cooler than normal and will suddenly warm to almost Summer like temps. Not really the best way to ease into hot weather.
The only downside to the Spring (for me) are the darn allergies. If I weren't allergic to pollen, life would be sweet.
Josso
I have to say it has been perfect temperature here recently, and it's rare for an english guy to admit that. Very fine tolerances.
Blaster
The weather here is really screwing with us. Was in the high 70s to low 80s during the day and the 60s at night at the beginning of the week. Now its in the 50s during the day and upper 30s at night. I'm ready to be able to be outside at night in shorts and a t-shirt.
Pippo90
I am currently in Southeast Asia and it seems that there are no seasons here.
deanhills
It's hotting up here in the UAE. Darn! Summer is coming .... and with a vengeance it seems.
Peterssidan
The gulls has arrived. They make a lot of noise which is especially irritating in the morning. Fortunately they have not started to attack people just yet. Confused
grofet
I have never seen any spring in a whole my life since i live on two seasons country. It must be very cold in winter. As far as i know, in spring everything looks very beautiful in the four seasons country. I hope someday i can see spring, summer and autumn directly with my own eyes. I'm not used with cold temperature so i think i have to avoid winter. If north of the earth is in winter, i think the south part of the earth is in summer. Off course north pole and south pole is always cold.