FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The good ol' Frihost days

chasbeen
It was amazing finding Frihost back in 2006
Nothing in life is free they say! but Frihost don't want your money so I guess they proved it wrong.

Do you remember the good ol' Frihost days? At the start you hardly got replies and new topics were very unusual

I guess Frihost is like a baby facebook but don't grow up!
deanhills
I wasn't around until May 2008. At the time the Forum was VERY VERY busy (9,000-10,000 posts pm) in comparison with today (1,600-2,000 posts pm). We also had marathon posters like Ocalhoun and Bikerman at the time. They used to make a minimum of 60-120 points of QUALITY posts EVERY DAY. They were my role models at the time, as were a number of others like Ankhanu, Coolclay, and Matrix and contemporaries like Nick2008 and a few others who were making mega number of posts side by side with me. That was also the time when Bondings used to make his occasional posts with a dry sense of humour in some of them. I'd give my eye teeth for one of those again.

I also recall mOrpheuS who was excellent in supporting the accounts function as well as attending to the Web hosting support threads. TidruG was no longer active by that time, so I learned about him through his posts and the famous interview he'd had in his blog with Bondings while Bondings was still a student. Then there was Vrythramax of course. He'd slowed down at the time when I joined, and every few months would come back with a thread: "I'm back" until his sad and sudden passing in 2011.

But yes, every now and then when we had a competition or I was researching a topic, I'd come across some interesting characters of the past. Like noobie4life as well and Philosopherprincess. The Forums must have been very alive and energetic during 2006-2008 with plenty of active admin, mods and account creators around. Can just imagine the Staff Forum was buzzing with activity at the time.
standready
I remember finding Frihost in 2006 as well. Though I have never had the time to make a ton of post, I do visit each day and read. I enjoy this community even if it seems to be going quiet now ( I thank Facebook, Twitter and others for the downslide).
coolclay
You guys are gonna make me cry! I think at some point our growth was exponential and things went from nothing to crazyness in the blink of an eye!! Definitely unsustainable growth to some degree but at least things were busy! Never had to work to find interesting posts that is for sure!

Thanks Deanhills, but I can't take any credit for a being a high quantity poster, I am more of a quality over quantity type of guy! You on the other hand had/have quantity and quality!!

I am amazed at how many feelings and emotions I feel when you mention the names of ex-Frihosters. The internet gets a bad rap for a lot of issues, but as much I try and deny it (I have neoluddite tendencies), the internet really has played a huge role in my life, and by in large for the better.

One of my best memories was just how Frihost came to existence right when I needed it. My previous free host switched over to paid only, and Bondings posted on the forum there inviting people to try out his new host. I got my qualifying posts in and then bam free website that was way better than my old one!

I won't say there weren't plenty of heated discussions (what forums don't) back then but they were good discussions (for the most part).
harrer
I'm new here but the old times sure sound fun.

And posts worth 60 points, that's a lot of time spent.
Hogwarts
Almost my 8th anniversary of lurking here Razz

I sometimes wonder what the old crowd of Frihosters is up to these days Smile
Blaster
The good old days before n4l was banned. The days of TPP and rainboxing. I sure do miss those days. Days when frih$ actually let you buy stuff. Gurdit was a wonderful person and I remember talking to him all the time. That was back when MSN messenger was also a big thing. This all before bondings really did the forum redesign. It was also nice seeing him posting in just random topics.
grofet
Post to host hosting services are so popular at that time. Right now only some of them are still active provide post to host service. Frihost is the best one with no doubt. Right now the situation is different. Frihost have to provide something great and new to make the forum active just like on the past.
johans
chasbeen wrote:
It was amazing finding Frihost back in 2006
Nothing in life is free they say! but Frihost don't want your money so I guess they proved it wrong.

Do you remember the good ol' Frihost days? At the start you hardly got replies and new topics were very unusual

I guess Frihost is like a baby facebook but don't grow up!

You guys are incredible when you discover frihost last 2006. I guess i am non on web development and design career at that moment.
Blaster
To think I was in 8th grade when I found this place and now I'm a senior in College. Just goes to show how fast time flys
sysna
I was visiting here from 2006 but i joined here in 2012, the best thing is that in frihost you don't need to become a member to be able to see posts and topics. Yes back in 2006 here was a lot more crowded but now with many posts it still gets lots of daily viewers.
Blaster
Can I ask why you didn't join for another 6 years if you had been coming here?
TurtleShell
This is a very interesting topic: it's not just, what was frihost like back in the day, but what was YOUR life like back in the day? When I started I think it was like 2006ish. I was sitting on that green couch in our apartment in Manhattan. That was back before we had adopted our daughter and I was maybe still working at that horrible job where I was a recruiter for a healthcare staffing agency. Since that time, I've moved across the country, bought a house and a car and I am in so many ways just completely different. I don't have time like i used to for posts in frihost. Hell, I don't have time like I used to for ANYTHING. I haven' brewed beer or painted in ages, despite the fact that I owe a painting to a client. Every once in a while I get a feeling like I need to rant for a minute so I post something on my blog, but those posts happen only once every few months.

So everybody, what was your life like when you started Frihost? What ambitions did you have then? how have you grown? What have you accomplished? What do you want to accomplish now?
Insanity
Crazy how fast time flies. I've said it before in other threads, but it's amazing that FriHost has lasted this long with it's model of post to host. I always figured that it would go down eventually, but it's managed to hang on with what's it doing, and I think it's great. I've been with FriHost for a long time now, and it's only gotten better. I don't remember quite what it was like back then, but I'm sure there are many more members now. Although I wonder how many of these members are still actives and how many have left their accounts to die a slow death as they stop posting... Maybe that's how it's been staying alive -- by retaining the account space that has previously been left to people who stopped posting and lost their hosting privileges.
Blaster
Turtleshell I feel the same way. Like I stated above I was in 8th grade worrying about high school. Staying up all night sleeping all day. I had a desk in my room with an old E-Machine computer with a big bulky monitor. Now I'm sitting here on a mac laptop. I'm now in what would have been my senior year of college had I stayed with my original major. I joined the local volunteer firehouse and made a pretty good name for myself in the respected career. I spend far less time on the computer than I did back in 2006.

So now that you arn't in NYC anymore turtleshell where did you move to? Also congrats on the adoption.
deanhills
Haha Turtleshell, I remember the beer brewing posts like yesterday. Very Happy
chasbeen
At last I am 1000. Do you remember when Bondings did "the box" that was funny. My personal funniest that I did was write a post about a mythical character called "General Chat"

As if (like an idiot) that's what I thought the "General Chat" section was for!!!!

There's a couple of posters that I occasionally try to imagine.
Josso
I was at school and when I joined Frihost - I learned the basics of how websites work (as usual learning more by myself than in school) in order to have more control over things and never have to use a "website creator" again. I setup my first forum on frihost servers, also modified some free HTML templates to get a better organised site. These days I have taken quite a lot as my site has changed it's primary purpose on a couple of occasions over the years, hasn't actually fully recovered from the last one yet I still need to add back some of my more notable video editing work for example (but I do have a museum section now, which I've needed for ages). Back then I probably had way more of a life, had a girlfriend and was a lot more outgoing tbh.
sonam
@Blaster
Quote:
The good old days before n4l was banned.

Newer heard about it! Shocked

I am not too sentimentally attached on past time. It was gone. I am little bit sad because we are loosing our alien who maintain this hosting for us.

Sonam
cabenqc
Today Frihost Free Web Hosting is no more?
That's the spirit and backbone of Frihost?
So, I can't see the future of Frihost.
Person(s) running Frihost with PASSION no more, I guess.
Members can do very limited stuff to help.
You know, I'm still waiting for web hosting processing.
Only wait and wait and wait....., but no response.
I think I better save a bit time and money,
to read some books and setup my own server at home.
It's long term under my control and with no waste of my PASSION.
Laughing
deanhills
sonam wrote:
@Blaster
Quote:
The good old days before n4l was banned.

Newer heard about it! Shocked

I am not too sentimentally attached on past time. It was gone. I am little bit sad because we are loosing our alien who maintain this hosting for us.

Sonam
I'm probably sentimental, but I particularly miss Bondings right now. I always seem to be thinking more about him when Server 2 and Frihost goes down. On the other hand, I probably should be happy for him. If he is so busy that he can't visit the Forum, his career must be taking off. I'm also happy he is a bit of a procrastinator as most people would have given up with not having time available, yet he's still checking up on the servers and Frihost is still alive.

So here's to you Bondings! Thanks for the good years, and thanks for keeping us rolling.
codegeek
Although I haven't been here long, at least compared to you guys, Frihost was my first experience with forums as well as hosting. I learnt about it from a friend and was hooked immediately. I especially enjoy reading P&R threads (my heroes are Indi and Bikerman). I wish I was a part of the old days of Frihost; those days sound awesome!
Josso
May I ask what happened to n4l? Always thought it was more of a resign
cabenqc
We're orphan now.
And will leave FriHost, sooner or later.
Take very good care.
Blaster
Josso wrote:

I don't think many people know. I do know he was banned. There was an internal fight between him and Max I know that. n4l fought for the banned tag but never got it.
Vanilla
I don't know about most of the things you're talking about because only very recently I started to post regularly in the English forums. Guess you didn't asked, but I'm telling it anyway. Razz

I remember being so careful when I was writing my hosting request because you needed to do it in English and I was fairly afraid of making a mistake back then. Not going to lie, I still am. But nowadays I'm an English teacher! The funny thing is when I joined Frihost in 2006 I was studying to be a veterinarian. Now I'm a teacher in a very different field. Life is a beautiful and funny thing. Very Happy
Blaster
And may I add your english is very good. Funny how what we go to school for tends not to be what we end up doing.
sonam
Blaster wrote:
Josso wrote:

I don't think many people know. I do know he was banned. There was an internal fight between him and Max I know that. n4l fought for the banned tag but never got it.

Interesting story. I liked his enthusiasm for posting. Ok, sometimes he post just too short replies or smiles (some of member will count this like SPAM) but I don't think this is reason for ban. Or maybe Rolling Eyes

Sonam
Blaster
There was a reason for it. I don't recall the whole story though
BigGeek
I didn't find frihost until 2008 so I missed all the buzz back in 2006. Actually I feel like a dinosaur in that I have no idea what frihost offers any more in terms of hosting or if they even offer it any more? AND I still have my site hosted here for free, and still work on it when I get the chance and try and update it and drive a little traffic to it.

I still post to keep my Points above 0, and keep the free hosting. I have never inquired about if I still need to post to keep my site, I just figured that was the way it is, and keep doing so. I have noticed that the posts on the site have dropped off dramatically over the past year, and it seems like very few people are around anymore posting. I'm not sure if they are hosted any more or if the free blog is all they are using.

I guess I should take the time to read up on where frihost is, and what they are up to. Seems like the folks running the show have moved on to bigger and better things and frihost is on autopilot these days. Cool
deanhills
BigGeek wrote:
Seems like the folks running the show have moved on to bigger and better things and frihost is on autopilot these days. Cool
Absolutely. And well said. Like Frihost has closed and those who are still around are looked after as much as Bondings can afford to do in his absence. He seems to be as generous in his autopilot capacity as he was when he was actively involved.
Blaster
With autopilot on though we seem to be doing fairly. At least those of us that are already hosted.
sonam
In this good old days I am afraid I will loose hosting if I don't post daily (I don't understand English well). I am living in India and traveling around it. No, job, no obligation... Smile
Today, I am in Croatia. I have small private business near to bankrupt... Laughing and still I have lot of time for me and my life, except traveling around the world.

Sonam
deanhills
What happened to me once in February 2009 I think it was. I earned some Frihost dollars to carry a plumbing advertisement in my signature for someone from the UK with the undertaking to post every day. Since I was travelling for 10 days, I had to go to extremes at times to find a computer to post from. Before that signature I was posting maybe every other day, or consecutive days and then a break for a few days. Normally in other words. But after running the signature for a month, it became habit to post every day. Except for a number of weeks absence in 2011.
Blaster
I posted every day when I first joined. I would wake up in the morning before school and post a bit. This was when the forum was very active so it wasn't really that hard to do. Like anything it got a little old and I wasn't here as much then I grew up some got a job and had other things going on so even less time was spent here. Now I have a little extra time that I can spend here posting a bit.