FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Boot problem

evablast001
I need help.

I had windows 8 on my laptop and needed to install linux khali on my external hard drive. after succeeding with the installation, i can no longer boot my window 8 without my external hard drive plugged in. the boot sector must have been installed on the external hard drive.

how do i correct this?
Gregoric
Where is Windows 8 installed, on your local drive? Was the external drive plugged in during Linux installation?
badai
Gregoric wrote:
Where is Windows 8 installed, on your local drive? Was the external drive plugged in during Linux installation?

huh! windows 8 is in internal because he try to boot without external hd. beside, which geek manage to install it on portable drive? and the external was obviously plugged in during linux installation since he needed to install linux on it and the installation was successful.

clear as a day.
Marcuzzo
The bootloader is probably installed on de external drive. Why install kali on an external drive... There's a live version for those situations. Most people that use kali are up to No good so if you plan on exploiting machines... Get the basics first
jaeha
evablast001 wrote:
I need help.

I had windows 8 on my laptop and needed to install linux khali on my external hard drive. after succeeding with the installation, i can no longer boot my window 8 without my external hard drive plugged in. the boot sector must have been installed on the external hard drive.

how do i correct this?

I guess you need to fix the boot loader in Windows first, and booting up linux and change grub or lilo in the linux side.

I have no idea how win8 does for booting, but found below in google:
http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2013/12/how-to-repair-the-efi-bootloader-in-windows-8/

Hope this helpful.

Regards,
Jaeha
jlsilva
To fix your boot problem use a F2, F8 or F12 to enter the diagnostics and choose the fitting option
Marcuzzo
jlsilva wrote:
To fix your boot problem use a F2, F8 or F12 to enter the diagnostics and choose the fitting option

are you sure? because F2 usually allows you to select your boot drive, F8 is usually used to select the way you want to boot windows ( eg: sage mode) and F12 ( in most cases ) is a network boot. but since most users are not running PXE on the network....

the last time I checked, in order to repair the MBR for windows you need to boot from the install disk, enter repair mode and open the command prompt to use bootrec.exe

if the master boot record is messed up, there is no way to repair it ( for windows...) without using a windows install disk, even if you are lucky enough to not have deleted the ( in MS OS ) hidden recovery partition, you wouldn't be able to boot off of it because the MBR is simply not there. and because it's not there, no partition table can be loaded and therefor no active partitions can be found to boot.... resulting in a "no operating system found" error message.

source: http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927392

this happened to me too once, I had installed Mythbunto on a USB drive and replaced the boot loader with grub and after that it wouldn't boot without that USB drive plugged in.

I had been away from frihost for a while because the posts on this forum had reached a level of ignorance that was frustrating me. I just happened to log in to check if things had changed only to found out that it only got worse, the the OP posted this a year ago and apparently the necro-posting is still a fact, moreover the replies are pure nonsense... you need to boot and press F2, 8 or 12... seriously...? I'm sure the guy has probably tossed his machine out the window, or found out that hosting is no longer provided on this site and ditched frihost after hos 2nd post