FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

XAMPP - All-in-One WebServer package

mOrpheuS
XAMPP Homepage

Quote:
XAMPP is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP and Perl. XAMPP is really very easy to install and to use - just download, extract and start.

These are the complete contents (of windows version, also available for other operating systems) -
Quote:
XAMPP Windows 1.4.13
Apache HTTPD 2.0.53, MySQL 4.1.11, PHP 5.0.4 + 4.3.11 + PEAR + Switch, MiniPerl 5.8.3, Openssl 0.9.7f, PHPMyAdmin 2.6.1 pl3, XAMPP Control Panel 1.0, eAccelerator 0.9.2a, Webalizer 2.01-10, Mercury Mail Transport System for Win32 und NetWare Systems v4.01a, FileZilla FTP Server 0.9.6a, SQLite 2.8.15, ADODB 4.60, Zend Optimizer 2.5.7, XAMPP Security. For Windows 98, 2000, XP.

It's a sort of Apache distro which has almost all the other common webserver tools.
You just need to extract it (anywhere) and run a batch file.
absolutely no installation/configuration needed.
the various services can be easily started/stopped from a simple controlpanel.

ideal for those who need to test their scripts locally before uploading.

personally used and highly recommended
Wink
azuka
Yeah
Xamp is quite cool. It's the only Apache-PHP-MySqL installation I've ever gotten to run on Win 9x or Me. I'll recommend it to anyone
Scott
I used it, and it worked well for testing thins out, but I couldn't never get it to work so that other people could connect to it. (I hosted it on my home computer)
vln004
that's waa aaay too bloated. why would anyone need all that junk just to test a few php scripts?
meangurl
vln004 wrote:
that's waa aaay too bloated. why would anyone need all that junk just to test a few php scripts?

for convenience of course... you can't see a PHP driven website offline... you need to install these in order to see them offline... why would you stress yourself uploading it online when you can just see it offline... it's for testing purposes anyway
Texas Al
The reason I'll eventually switch to XAMPP from the smaller WAMP5 is that XAMPP supports Perl right out of the box (cause PHP isn't the only language out there) and it's not like (local) drive space is expensive.
digibluez
I used it as well....one of the best free software.Easy confic and startup.
I always setup all files at my home pc befor putting them up....so i dont have to make any backups.
simplyw00x
Another good one is Yellowtip, but it doesn't have Perl. That's fine for me (I don't use Perl), but whatever.