FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Nuclear plants

rx9876
The Japan government is going to revive the nuclear reactors shut-downed since three years ago the catastrophic meltdown in March 2011.

The economics is going worse and worse without the electricity provided by the nuclear plants which is up to 30% to the whole country.
The rising cost of electricity that has accompanied the closing of Japan’s reactors, and the damage to Japan’s trade balance from sharply increased imports of fossil fuels.
The industries used a lot electricity are not easy to survive without enough electricity or paying high cost of electricity.

How about your country?
Are your country trying to eliminate nuclear plants or still using them?
Do your government have better substitute for nuclear plants which does not impact the economics?
StriderVM
My country? Zero chance. There's actually a power plant (That wasn't completely finished.) would run nicely, the Bataan Nuclear Power Plant. The problem is that it was made by a President in which history (Something that is written by the "victors") dictates as a power hungry man who has stopped "freedom" among it's countrymen.

Second is that it's also similar to how normal people in the US view Nucular power, OMG nucular, if something happens we're all gonna die! *panics*

Sorry for the kinda sarcastic reply. I'm kinda in a depressed mood today.... Sad

IMO Nuclear power plants is the closest thing we have to a "clean" power. All other alternatives are impractical (Like Wind or Solar) or will kill us in the end (Oil / Coal) . But yeah the responsibility and safety procedures on such power plants is another thing altogether. People are dumb, therefore accidents happen.
coolclay
I think with proper forethought and planning and many multiples of redundant systems that nuclear can be used much more safely than it is today.

The only thing standing in our way is ourselves. Look at the whole situation of Yucca mountain, and the Obama administrations effort to close it. We've spent around $20 billion to change our minds and claim that instead of 10,000 years of proper containment we want one million years! That's just insanity, and IMHO simply a political move.

We need to have a safe storage place for our nuclear waste, that is not close to humans. We now have hundreds of thousands of caskets of nuclear waste sitting literally within 5 miles of residential communities. Either that or allow the building and permitting of newer power plants able to use the waste of older nuclear plants.

There hasn't been a new nuclear plant built in the US for almost 30 years, and that is just unacceptable. Finally though in the next 10 years we are expected to get six new units.

I take nuclear power very serious having grown up within the 10 mile radius of Three Mile Island, and having parents within 15 miles when the partial meltdown occurred. This year is the 35th anniversary btw http://www.yorkdispatch.com/breaking/ci_25351479/york-college-hold-event-about-1979-three-mile
jajarvin
Here in Finland a 1000 MW nuclear power plan will be ready next year. Another plan will be ready in the year 2020.
deanhills
rx9876 wrote:
The Japan government is going to revive the nuclear reactors shut-downed since three years ago the catastrophic meltdown in March 2011.

The economics is going worse and worse without the electricity provided by the nuclear plants which is up to 30% to the whole country.
The rising cost of electricity that has accompanied the closing of Japan’s reactors, and the damage to Japan’s trade balance from sharply increased imports of fossil fuels.
The industries used a lot electricity are not easy to survive without enough electricity or paying high cost of electricity.

How about your country?
Do your government have better substitute for nuclear plants which does not impact the economics?
That is worrying. The fact that they were cutting corners landed them in trouble the first time round when there was a double whammy with the weather, and they haven't completely recovered from that disaster yet. Hopefully the IAEA will continue to monitor everything - not sure how it works, but hopefully since something like this could have international ramifications environmentally, it should be open for international surveillance.
rx9876
There are some people in Taiwan protesting to stop using nuclear plants.
They even used smart phones to light up the streets when they protesting for staging a good-looking news photo. It's really a stupid idea, which makes me consider they are wasting electricity, and cutting down the electricity sources at the same time.

However, there is no any solution for substitute energy sources.
So called green electricity costs 5~10 times than fire and nuclear electricity,
and caused a lot problems in other ways.

For examples, producing solar plates pollutes waters and lands,
and sun light is not common in some places.

Using wind turbines causes a lot noises, and the maintenance fee is really high.

Did any country tried to shoot their nuclear wastes to space, or into the sun?
Maybe it will be inexpensive than building a storage place and facing the radiation leak risk.
Gregoric
I do not have nuclear plants yet, unfortunately. In Poland energy is mostly created from oil, gas and coal. Oil and gas are mostly imported and coal is mined from numerous mines.

To be honest, although Poland has one of the most advanced coal mine industries, there are still some accidents that include dead people. If anyone would tell me that nuclear power is dangerous (people in Poland still remember Ukraine's Chernobyl) I would immediately tell them that coal industry and is far more lethal than nuclear.
deanhills
Gregoric wrote:
I do not have nuclear plants yet, unfortunately. In Poland energy is mostly created from oil, gas and coal. Oil and gas are mostly imported and coal is mined from numerous mines.

To be honest, although Poland has one of the most advanced coal mine industries, there are still some accidents that include dead people. If anyone would tell me that nuclear power is dangerous (people in Poland still remember Ukraine's Chernobyl) I would immediately tell them that coal industry and is far more lethal than nuclear.
Agreed. Also really bad for the environment too as well as health. Guess the problem boils back to again overpopulation of the world and consuming more resources than the world can really handle without it giving at its seams.
kaysch
rx9876 wrote:

How about your country?

In the aftermath of the Fukushima meltdown the German government prohibited to operate most nuclear power plants with just a few exceptions until 2022. Electricity over here is increasingly generated by wind and other renewable sources of energy, reducing Germany's dependency on imports. In 2013 (2003) electricity was generated as follows:
- lignite 26% (26%)
- renewables (wind, bio mass, photovoltaics, hydropower, waste) 24% (8%)
- coal 20% (24%)
- nuclear energy 15% (27%)
- natural gas 11% (10%)
- others 5% (5%)
So over here there has been a dramatic change. Renewable energy is heavily subsidised but on the other hand the disposal costs of nuclear power plants are extremely high, too. Which is why the owners of the nuclear power plants offered to transfer their plants to the government, along with the dismantling and storage costs. After a public outcry the government rejected the offer today.
For the time being the quality of energy supply has not been notably affected. Costs did increase though.
Iceaxe0410
It could have been a lot worse in Japan. At least they had some defenses up to prevent it from being a complete disaster. Still, it should serve as a lesson that nuclear power isn't something to trifle with without proper defenses in place. Back then, I joked that it could be the origin of Godzilla or other giant creatures. All that radiation being dumped into the ocean can't be good for wildlife. I still think nuclear power should be used at least until a more efficient and safer form of energy can be made. They really need to build those reactors to withstand catastrophic natural disasters like tsunamis and earthquakes. I know they were designed to, but apparently not well enough.
rx9876
Iceaxe0410 wrote:
It could have been a lot worse in Japan. At least they had some defenses up to prevent it from being a complete disaster. Still, it should serve as a lesson that nuclear power isn't something to trifle with without proper defenses in place. Back then, I joked that it could be the origin of Godzilla or other giant creatures. All that radiation being dumped into the ocean can't be good for wildlife. I still think nuclear power should be used at least until a more efficient and safer form of energy can be made. They really need to build those reactors to withstand catastrophic natural disasters like tsunamis and earthquakes. I know they were designed to, but apparently not well enough.

I read a article said that problems were caused because cost reduction.
The workers have the limitation of radiation exposure amount,
and the company does not want to hire enough workers,
so the managers reduced the maintenance routes.
Not to mention that reduction of equipment quality and quantity.