FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dual Moniters

nickhaw
Hey, in a bout a month or two im going to be buying a and making a computer, and i was wonder if any of you us two moniters and if so what are the advantages of this if any.
Rhysige
Well a major advantage I find is you can play a game/movie on one whilst doing web surfing or something totally different on the other... if you build a computer powerful enough that is Smile
steveadams617
If you keep multiple applications open and flip back and forth between them, the two panels might help you. You could just glance right and left. Also if you use graphics programs or integrated development environments, you can put all your toolbars and property windows etc on one monitor and just have the code or artwork in the other.

I run the poor man's version of this and just keep two computers and two monitors running on my desktop at all time. The advantage to that is that I can run processes that use alot of cpu power and flip to the other computer while I'm waiting.
xorcist
How would you hook up 2 monitors like that I have an extra monitor but I really dont know how to hook them up is there some special thing you need?
Garg
I think you need a special graphics card with two monitor sockets (but i' not sure).

Or maybe it's possible to use the incorporated mainboard graphics card and another graphics card...

(It's easier with a laptop Wink)
adlamb
Yeah ive done it, its cool. I have 2 black Dell monitors, one 19" and one 17". Takes up some space and gererates quite a bit of heat but its certainally worth it. Generally i use the large one for whatever im working on and the other has messenger, winamp and my mobile phone connection software. Its great for photoshop cos you can have all your tools on the 2nd monitor and so have a dedicated screen for the full image. Also good for designing websites. I use dreamweaver and can have all the toolbars and the FTP connection box on the 2nd monitor. When playing games, you can open something in the 2nd monitor that you might want during the game (like a map for GTA!!). When comparing 2 word or excel document or transfering stuff between then, you can have one on each side and so not get confused between them, like a LOCAL copy and a NETWORK copy. Oh and moving files between folders is also much easier!

You also get to have a different desktop picture for each monitor! You toolbar only appears on your main monitor.

My graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900XT) has 3 outputs: the normal monitor connection, the white digital one with blades and pins and also an S Video. I have an adaptor (came with the card) so i can connect a CRT to the white digital socket. I have tried to connect something to the S video and run 3 screens at the same time but i couldnt get it to work.
I believe you can also get a splitter that plugs in to a PCI slot and allow you to run 2 monitors but i would imagine that using a graphics card like i do would be much better. I use 2 CRT monitors but theres no reason why you cant use 2 TFTs. I really want to do this but cant afford to buy 2 TFT that will be as good quality as my CRTs. Cheap TFTs are still too 'pixely' for my liking!

Wow, long post!!
bananaphone
You HAVE to have dual monitors - they rock!!
Just make sure you have a VERY powerful graphics card.
ocalhoun
You don't have to use a special video card, unless you use windows!
Normaly, you have to have a special double-outlet video card to do this.

However, if you use Linux you can install two or more seperate video cards side by side!
I currently have 3, one built onto the motherboard, and two pci cards.

I had to play around with it some (switching which video card was connected to which monitor: for some reason this made it much more reliable, also I had to change some BIOS settings,) and it is very stable and very cool. (you've never seen the matrix screensaver untill you see it running on 3 monitors simultainiously!)

I would add more video cards, but I ran out of PCI slots.

This will work while dual-booting: Windows will display on only one of the monitors. (on mine windows boots up on one monitor, then moves to another after booting)
Mark999111
Would you not need a very good computer to run 2 monitors at the same time?

Make sure you can do it before you start anything
Arnie
ocalhoun wrote:
Normaly, you have to have a special double-outlet video card to do this.

However, if you use Linux you can install two or more seperate video cards side by side!
Interesting how I have a triple-monitor Windows 98SE system that uses 3 seperate VGAs. One nVidia Riva TNT2 and two ATi Mach64 cards. Perfect for flight simulation.
SoftStag
I run a dual monitor system. Once you've had one, it's very difficult to go back to a single screen!

You can do it either with multiple graphics cards, or a graphics card with multiple outputs. I use a XFX nVidia 6600GT with dual DVI outputs and 2 17" TFT screens (AG Neovo S-17).

The advantage is that you can have 2 applications open at the same time and see them both simultaneously. For example you can have email in one and browse the net in the other. It is great if you need to be able to see information in one document and need to translate that in to another - both documents can be seen at once.
Slammer
i run a dual monitor system for my flight sim. Means i can you the main screen for the actual cockpit views etc, and have the other showing my maps/charts/notes etc about the current flight. Very very useful, saves you flicking windows back and forth while playing. Very useful if your into games!
snowboardalliance
I have a video card with the three different outputs ( I forget what they are all called), so If I get an adapter, I can use a second moniter? (The card can run dual moniters).
SNiPeRZ
Yeah its really good, going back to one screen is a nightmare though!
Sinisterthief
I have an ATI Radeon 9800 PRO and it has 2 monitor outputs, 1 digital composite output and 1 S-VHS output for connection to the tv,

i use both monitor outputs and my tv, it really works fine, but there is one thing, if i play a movie on my tv or on a monitor and start a game on the other monitor, the movie stops, and when i exit the game the movie continues.

You dont really need a very powerfull pc, but how faster it is how better is works, i have an amd sempron 2800 its not really the thing i wanted but they took the amd athlon 64 for my socket 754 out of the shops.
shaggly
I have one monitor and a TV hooked up to mine.

I surf and do bits and bob's and watch streaming footy games/movies etc on the TV at the same time.

Some games are also pretty cool to play on a TV screen rather than a monitor, like PES5 Laughing
devroom
ocalhoun wrote:

I would add more video cards, but I ran out of PCI slots.

This will work while dual-booting: Windows will display on only one of the monitors. (on mine windows boots up on one monitor, then moves to another after booting)

Windows has settings so u can activate both monitors, so u have a larger desktop

I have a card who has 2 outputs but dont have enough room, but i ve tried it. if the only thing you do is gaming and/or interneting, you dont need 2 monitors.
you only need them when you build a site or work on more pictures at the same time.