FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Local festivals or traditions?

coolclay
In my life I've lived quite a lot very different places. But for the most part they all have had different yearly festivities/traditions.

For example when I lived in Unity, Maine we had huge a Earth Day festival, with music, recycled downhill racers derby, cider pressing, and a bunch of other fun things. There was also the Common Ground Fair, one of the largest traditional farming fairs in the US celebrating rural living.

Where I grew up in York, Pennsylvania, we hold one of the largest Hot Rod conventions in the US. Folks from all over the country bring their hot rods, and classic cars, and parade around for the weekend.

On Catalina island where I lived for a few years we had the Flying Fish festival, and Buccaneers festival.

While I live in southern Louisiana I got to enjoy one of the more well known celebrations commonly known as Mardis Gras, and 2 week celebration of non-stop parades and drinking!

Now in Gloucester, Massachusetts, we have the St. Peters festival, with parades, and the best event of all the Greasy Pole!!!

http://www.stpetersfiesta.org/greasypole.html

After experiencing all these celebrations I have found one common theme between them all. They all seem to be one big excuse to get drunk!

How about where you live any notable celebrations or festivals?
deanhills
In the UAE they usually use national public holidays for festivities, but obviously overtly non-alcoholic as alcohol is against the law. Whether the law is properly observed, is another question however.
coolclay
I had assumed the UAE was one of the countries that had banned alcohol. Do those that do not adhere make it themselves or is it more a black market product. Of course if you're not comfortable talking about it's fine I was just curious.
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
I had assumed the UAE was one of the countries that had banned alcohol. Do those that do not adhere make it themselves or is it more a black market product. Of course if you're not comfortable talking about it's fine I was just curious.
Although alcohol is against the law here, it is available to expats in hotels, pubs (in hotels) or from the odd liquor store that is hidden away and expats can purchase alcohol from provided one has a license to do so.
coolclay
Fascinating!
grofet
In my country we respect all religion with festival holiday for all religion. My country give one or two day off for all people for the holiday. The religion are islam, protestant, catholic, hindu, budha and kong hu chu. Not like many modern country that don't give holiday to other legal religion in the country.
coolclay
Wow that's very surprising. I didn't realize there was any country that recognized and permitted such a thing. What country is this I might ask? Even as relatively tolerant as Americans claim to be, you wouldn't see company's giving their employers off for anything other than "Christian" and maybe Jewish holidays. Certainly not many of the eastern religions.
harrer
We have Holi tomorrow. The one in which we celebrate with colors.
So, Happy Holi.
coolclay
Same to you! That sounds like a blast, I have never been too a Holi festival. Maybe I'll have to find one to go too next year!