FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's best windows operating system?

BrightSparx
I'm getting my laptop wiped tomorrow and just wondered what everyone's opinions are in the best operating system to reboot it with? Mainly used for invoices/music/images, basic office work.
loveandormoney
Online You need win 8
Offline WIN XP is better.

Alaways buy the new windows
if You want to use the www.

Old windows is dangerous for surfing.
badai
seem like you need free and open source OS.

You can't just install MS's OSes freely.
playfungames
The best operating system in my case in Windows XP. It was so great and really functional. I didn't even want to update to Vista and then to Windows 7. But I guess the world moved on and I had to as well.

There would be security issues once Windows XP support goes offline. So, I think if you are a Windows users, you better get Windows 7. It must be cheap now since Windows 8 is out.

I also suggest you to try Linux Mint or Ubuntu. You never know if you might end up liking Linux instead.
Gregoric
BrightSparx wrote:
I'm getting my laptop wiped tomorrow and just wondered what everyone's opinions are in the best operating system to reboot it with? Mainly used for invoices/music/images, basic office work.

That suggests to choose some Linux distribution. When it comes to the basic office stuff, media and Internet browsing, purchasing Windows license is a waste of money. Numerous Linux distributions are really user friendly and will let you achieve all the things listed above at the very first moment after installation. In Windows you would have to purchase Office license, install it. Download a music/movie player and install it or search for codecs to display movies. In many Linux distros - everything comes with installation and the system is usable 'out of box'.

At the moment I am using Linux Mint 16 Xfce, it's definatly far faster than Windows and has all the functions you need since the very beginning. LibreOffice is open-source alternative for Microsoft Office. Banshee & VLC are fully featured, easy-to-use music and video players. When it comes to the browser - you can easily choose between Firefox, Opera or Chrome.

I am using Linux for all the things you would use it for and additionally for programming and designing graphics (as it supports my graphics tablet far better than Windows).

That is my recommendation - give Linux a try Smile
Da Rossa
He asked about Windows versions so yes, Windows 8.1 should be the best, although I currently use Windows 7 because of some compatibility problems. The start screen is fantastic and the OS is designed with a 2012 mentality instead of a 2009 or even 2001 (times of XP).

Still, I think many people are sticking with XP on the corporate environments, for computers to accomplish few and very specific tasks such as accessing a database in a store's stock.
cabenqc
For a client pc, if your laptop hardware is good to run W7, then go.
Otherwise WinXP is also ok.
Da Rossa
Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. My opinion.
k_s_baskar
windows 7 or windows 8.1 will be better choice
jajarvin
Win 1.0. With this all started.
Da Rossa
An update: I'm with Windows 8.1 after update 1. Microsoft has done a good job for those nostalgetic people who are cranky about the start screen and metro apps. Now, it's easier to manipulate with the mouse. I'm satisfied!
jajarvin
Da Rossa wrote:
An update: I'm with Windows 8.1 after update 1.

I now use windows 7. It works well and it is easy to use. I am satisfied.
Da Rossa
Quote:
I now use windows 7. It works well and it is easy to use. I am satisfied.

No reason to update then. Windows 7 is solid and the OS is supposed to be a means, not an end.
codegeek
I'm currently on a dual boot between Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Windows 8.1. Frankly, I like the former a lot better. However, I do need to use Photoshop sometimes, which is a bit of a hassle on Ubuntu. In terms of speed, both are pretty good, but I like to think Ubuntu is faster. Installing something is a lot easier, and it seems to be designed for programmers, which makes programming a lot easier as well. I had an Nvidia graphics card that didn't sit well with Ubuntu. I had both cards running at the same time, overheating my laptop and draining the battery. So, I installed something called Bumblebee which has solved the problem. All in all, I've fallen madly in love with Ubuntu.
Extreme-Codes
BrightSparx wrote:

they tell me the best windows operating system is windows 7 but i prefer to use windows xp (old school)
Nyasro
Windows 8.1 now Smile
PBMaxx
Windows 7. I use mine mainly for audio production and when I first installed it and tested my hardware, I thought this was the best windows yet.

Win98 was good, XP was better, Win7 even better.

I can't get myself into Windows 8 because I see no reason. Especially when everything is meeting my expectations!
deanhills
PBMaxx wrote:
Windows 7. I use mine mainly for audio production and when I first installed it and tested my hardware, I thought this was the best windows yet.
Would be curious to know what your sound setup is with Windows 7? What speakers and sound card are you using?
PBMaxx
Hello deanhills

I have an Asus Xonar D2X and a Presonus Inspire going to Samson Rubicon R8 near-field monitors. I'm quite happy with the sound Very Happy

For more involved recording, I use a Delta 1010 (modded to swap op-amps and recapped). It's going to be replaced at some point soon. The PCI card it connects to is a relic.

Do you record?
Pippo90
Windows 8.1 with the latest updates. Surely the best and fastest.
Da Rossa
Pippo90 wrote:
Windows 8.1 with the latest updates. Surely the best and fastest.

That's what I'm using now. Couldn't be happier.
Sajupm
M my first post hear

Upon me I will prefer windows 7 which can run with today's needs....
sysna
win 7 of course, also win 9 is on its way and will bring back the start menu which is the main reason why most people refuse to use win 8.
mariagarval
Windows 7 is the best for ever and I have been using without any issue.
Nyasro
Windows 8 Smile
BruceChastain
I would go with Ubuntu

-free
-basically no viruses
-lots of free software which is super easy to install
-stable
-easy to update and upgrade
-and finally a lot cooler than windows
johans
I think its windows 7 now. They made it perfect now a days. But for sure in the upcoming there will be more better operating systems.

There are also OS in linux that are good but most company preferred windows bases as server enterprise are most windows based.

More companies used windows and windows servers.
rajdon82
BrightSparx wrote:

Windows 8.1 is not only the best Operating system by Microsoft but also the best Operating System ever built. Mac is just eye candy and Linux distros are ages behind Windows in terms of stability and many software support. The negative publicity and the negative reviews on Windows 8 when it was launched hurt the OS and people were reluctant to use it, considering they were already using Windows 7 and were happy with it. But Windows 8.1 is even faster than Windows 7.
dude_xyx
For me the best operating system used to be Windows XP but now it's Windows 7. I have had bit of problems with Xp since last year so I moved to Win 7 and found things are better. I do have Windows 8 in my laptop but not impressed with that.
LonnieHoover
Window 7 and Window 8 , both are good.
But i think Window 7 will suits you better as it is less complex.
RosenCruz
I am still sticking to XP on my both home and work PCs. Never liked 8, although I originally have 2 keys for it.
Arrogant
I think Windows 7 better for me.
Don't like Windows 8 and the metro mode.