FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can you run a virus check/spyware cleaner on iPad?

BrightSparx
I wondered if you can run any sort of anti virus on an iPad? I bought my iPad second hand and would like to know its safe for using online banking/shopping etc....
SonLight
The choices are limited for the iproduct category. There is at least one app available, but no free ones, according to:

http://techpp.com/2011/09/29/15-best-mobile-anti-viruses-android-and-iphone-included/

My guess is that Apple tries to keep dangerous apps off itunes and avoid having users download from places all over the internet. Probably for most people, no anti-virus is needed. But if you have valuable bank account info or other attractive targets to steal, you probably ought to get the best protection you can.

I suspect the danger of making iphones attractive targets for criminals is one reason Apple removed all Bitcoin apps from their site.
Marcuzzo
I don't know a thing about apple products, but is there no way to reset it to factory defaults?
Ankhanu
There aren't really any antivirus apps available... but the nature of the OS kind of makes them unnecessary. Nothing can execute or install without your say so, and Apple controls what you have access TO install (unless you've jailbroken it)... there are so many layers to peel away for malicious software to install and run that antivirus isn't needed. Android, OS X and Linux are much the same in these regards, though the closed nature of iOS makes it even harder; user data and executables are somewhat removed from the OS and security measures.

That said, that only applies to data on your device. The moment it gets sent elsewhere you're at the capabilities of the app developer and their security measures... much as you are with any online activity. If your bank has poor security in their protocols, well, it doesn't matter how water tight your system OS is. Of course, most banks and the like have user/data security as a prime concern. If you trust online banking at all, your portable device isn't going to be a concern.

Marcuzzo wrote:
I don't know a thing about apple products, but is there no way to reset it to factory defaults?

Yup, it's pretty easy.
Marcuzzo
Ankhanu wrote:
Marcuzzo wrote:

Yup, it's pretty easy.

@BrightSparx, If you are worried then just reset it to factory defaults.
If I would buy a tabled 2nd hand then I would definitely reset the device to factory defaults... Do it!