FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Window 8.1 boot to desktop

standready
My neighbor has Windows 8.1 on his new computer and HATES the 'apps' start. I did a little searching of the web for him. I found this article on boot 'desktop' mode: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043243/how-to-boot-to-desktop-mode-in-windows-8-1.html
He told me that it easy to do and works great! I hope this helps anyone else who hates 8 start.
There are many features of Windows 8 that Microsoft has apparently not documented.
deanhills
Thanks for that Standready. I'll probably have to go for something like that in April when Windows XP comes to an end.
Marcuzzo
standready wrote:
My neighbor has Windows 8.1 on his new computer and HATES the 'apps' start. I did a little searching of the web for him. I found this article on boot 'desktop' mode: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043243/how-to-boot-to-desktop-mode-in-windows-8-1.html
He told me that it easy to do and works great! I hope this helps anyone else who hates 8 start.
There are many features of Windows 8 that Microsoft has apparently not documented.

this was one of the first things I changed about my windows 8.1.
I think that this was implemented in windows 8.1 and that the first windows 8 users had to stick to their metro start screen
standready
deanhills wrote:
Thanks for that Standready. I'll probably have to go for something like that in April when Windows XP comes to an end.

Do what I did, Dean. Grab a computer that has Windows 7. I found a HP AMD 3.8 dual core with 4G memory, 1T hard drive and CD/DVD RW with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit (no monitor) for less than 200 (USD). Considering Windows 7 Pro 64 bit alone cost around 136, not a bad deal.
Played around enough with Windows 8.1 to not want it. Hoping 9 will be better.

Side note: anybody have any programs that truly take advantage of a quad core processor?
sysna
in Win8.1 if you shutdown pc from desktop in the next boot it will boot to desktop by default, at least this is going on for my laptop.

Win 8 is not desinged for pc/laptop and is mostly good for tablets but many softwares are still not touch friendly so it is not very good for tablet either . win 9 probably will come with two versions, one for touch devices and other for laptops/pc
Peterssidan
sysna wrote:
win 9 probably will come with two versions, one for touch devices and other for laptops/pc

Sounds very very wise. Have you heard something like this or is it just a guess?
Blummer
I think I'll got so much used to these apps, but I agree - to have an option to use the desktop would be fine. But that two option thing is just a speculation, isn't it?
tamilparks
thanks for tips its very useful for me.
Marcuzzo
if windows 9 comes out I hope I can get it with my MSDN Sub Laughing

One of the many perks or working at an IT company :p Twisted Evil
rajdon82
standready wrote:

On Windows 8.1 you can right-click on the taskbar and select the box for Windows to start in the desktop and not on Metro.
Da Rossa
Windows 8.1 is fantastic, give this to Microsoft please. People just complain because they're not used to the UI. But everything you had back in Windows 7 and Vista are there (apart from the aeroglass).
There are also some registry tweaks to reduce border sizes and increase buttons, which I believe are not very well documented either.
ibraltan1
What are the most wanted features for the operating system software the Windows 9. As the release date is approaching it is not clear that it would satisfy the following expectations: Lower price, desktop only mode, better battery life, virtual desktops for improved productivity, bring back the real Start button, over –the -air system recovery, better display scaling, improved anti –virus, fix windows update, native DVD playback. There are lots of rumors about Windows 9. Some people claim that basic software will be free and people will pay for additional features. This kind of carrot seems necessary to persuade people to upgrade their existent operating system. Or it could be free for some limited time. On the other hand windows is consuming important amount of battery life. The better power saving features must be implemented into Windows 9 to attract customers. Besides this, Microsoft has declared that virtual desktops will certainly be component of Windows 9, enabling users to use several desktop displays with personal settings, making it easier to divide work and home actions on the same machine.