FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What do you think is better: Linux Mint or Ubuntu?

What do you think is better: Linux Mint or Ubuntu?
Ubuntu
38%
 38%  [ 5 ]
Linux Mint
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Others
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
I haven't used Linux:P
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

aayushsrivastava14
You all probably would have heard of Ubuntu. It is the most popular distro out there. Linux mint was developed from Ubuntu. I think it is better than Ubuntu and below I am listing the points why I think so.

But first of all let me tell you more about Linux Mint. Linux Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu that was originally intended to be easier to use than Ubuntu. Since it is based on Ubuntu, the same Ubuntu repositories are compatible with Linux Mint. (So there is no issue of software availability!)

Linux Mint 15 corresponds with Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring). Since Linux Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu, for the longest time, it suffered from the same quirks as Ubuntu 11.04 and onward.

The main issue was Unity (along with many other fundamental changes for the sake of making changes, in my opinion), and GNOME 3 was just as pathetic. Both desktop environments abandoned the user-friendliness that made Linux attractive to begin with.

In response to these complaints, two new desktop environments were developed: MATE and Cinnamon. There are two versions of Linux Mint 15 available that offer these desktop environments. Linux Mint 15 MATE installs with the MATE desktop, and Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon installs with the Cinnamon desktop environment.

Both are polished and more easy to use than ever before, so take your pick. Either version is faster and easier to use than Unity or GNOME3. Both Linux Mint distributions are the same Linux Mint 15 but with a slightly different look and feel. The same repository software runs on both, so there are no worries of mutually exclusive operating systems (in most cases).

Appearance wise I think the Mint desktops are better than the Ubuntu offerings. But I think when it comes to performance both are just the same (however I find Mint some steps ahead, but that could be different in your system).

Anyway, this was my experience and for me Mint is better. But I want to know your stories and experience. Please leave a post and yes your vote to see the final winner! Razz
chartcentral
I have tried Ubuntu but I haven't tried Linux Mint. Guess I'm gonna have to give Mint a try and see for myself which I think is better among these two. Smile
Nyasro
I am sure Ubuntu is better because it has desktop version and easy to use
Marcuzzo
Nyasro wrote:

LOL

guys keep it in mind that Mint linux is based on Ubuntu.
chartcentral
On my way to install VirtualBox on my PC and planning to get me some Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Then I'll see which one is better for me. Smile
johans
Sorry to say that I have not yet tried it.
rajdon82
aayushsrivastava14 wrote:
You all probably would have heard of Ubuntu. It is the most popular distro out there. Linux mint was developed from Ubuntu. I think it is better than Ubuntu and below I am listing the points why I think so.

But first of all let me tell you more about Linux Mint. Linux Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu that was originally intended to be easier to use than Ubuntu. Since it is based on Ubuntu, the same Ubuntu repositories are compatible with Linux Mint. (So there is no issue of software availability!)

Linux Mint 15 corresponds with Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring). Since Linux Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu, for the longest time, it suffered from the same quirks as Ubuntu 11.04 and onward.

The main issue was Unity (along with many other fundamental changes for the sake of making changes, in my opinion), and GNOME 3 was just as pathetic. Both desktop environments abandoned the user-friendliness that made Linux attractive to begin with.

In response to these complaints, two new desktop environments were developed: MATE and Cinnamon. There are two versions of Linux Mint 15 available that offer these desktop environments. Linux Mint 15 MATE installs with the MATE desktop, and Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon installs with the Cinnamon desktop environment.

Both are polished and more easy to use than ever before, so take your pick. Either version is faster and easier to use than Unity or GNOME3. Both Linux Mint distributions are the same Linux Mint 15 but with a slightly different look and feel. The same repository software runs on both, so there are no worries of mutually exclusive operating systems (in most cases).

Appearance wise I think the Mint desktops are better than the Ubuntu offerings. But I think when it comes to performance both are just the same (however I find Mint some steps ahead, but that could be different in your system).

Anyway, this was my experience and for me Mint is better. But I want to know your stories and experience. Please leave a post and yes your vote to see the final winner! Razz

I was very impressed by Linux Mint 14 and equally disappointed by Ubuntu 12.10. However, Linux Mint has now become very sluggish. Way slower than Windows 8 on the same PC. Ubuntu on the other hand has shown a lot of improvement and is going in its own way while Linux Mint attempt to imitate Windows XP. I would say Ubuntu is at a level between Windows XP and Mac and Linux Mint is at level between Windows XP and Windows Vista.
Integricall
Why not Zorin? It is based on Linux Ubuntu but is designed to be very similar to function and appearance to Windows 7.
ademta
According to me Ubuntu is best for new user who are thinking to switch to linux because Ubuntu is easy to use and has the latest of software packages and there is a lot of support and docs on Ubuntu available at there forum which makes it easy for new user.
I have installed the latest of Ubuntu LTS on two of my friends laptop and both were new user and they are doing just fine with it. They are just desktop user and use Ubuntu without any terminal commands.
If you are new LINUX user than I would say anyone to go for Ubuntu LTS.
Marcuzzo
I've tried Ubuntu back in the days of Edgy but moved to debian almost immediately after.
later that I've installed Feisty fawn, intrepid ibex and jaunty jackalope as secondary OS on my Machine but never used it to be honest.

I've tried linux mint 2.0 back in 2008 and noticed that I was just working on a ubuntu copy with little or no difference and immediately dismissed it.

nowadays I don't have a lot of time to play with Linux so I stick to what is familiar to me, which is debian;
and I don't like the unity desktop on ubuntu, that being said...
wolfbane
I have tried a few distros and currently have a handful of distros on my virtualbox. Ubuntu is one of my favourite distros and using the gnome version on my old laptop. I have, many times, tried to use and failed to use Linux Mint. I have always had problem with it. While installing it in my very old pc, it didn't get installed properely but ubuntu had no problem with the pc. I've tried it on my virtualbox and had some issue with the mouse so had to delete it. Though linux mint is a derivative of ubuntu and looks great, I've failed to enjoy it in any way.
jestoy0514
Both distro does a good job of providing an awesome free operating system you can download anywhere and anytime. Imagine you can do pretty much everything out of the box. Some people might encounter some problems but with the help of the wide range of community support it is quite easy to get help.
loveandormoney
Nyasro wrote:

Try Xubuntu. Its more easy than Ubuntu itself.
__init__
Ubuntu is the worst. Buggy, slow, unstable, packages haven't been updated in 2 years, Unity is terrible, etc.
I recommend Fedora for beginners. Great package manager and very stable. I personally use Arch, which is awesome.