FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why Physics seems hard to some students?

Do you like Physics?
Yes
91%
 91%  [ 11 ]
No
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

aayushsrivastava14
Even I find it somewhat difficult. What about you?
jajarvin
I have taken two Physics online courses. I fine these courses have helped me to understand our word.
cabenqc
IMHO, it's due to
You
Your Interests
Course Materials
Teacher
Laughing
PatrickLeung
Physics requires abstract thinking beyond what is tangible. Some students may find grasping the abstract ideas difficult, especially when some teachers cannot explain such abstraction clearly.
rx9876
PatrickLeung wrote:
Physics requires abstract thinking beyond what is tangible. Some students may find grasping the abstract ideas difficult, especially when some teachers cannot explain such abstraction clearly.

Exactly.
I am one of the kind of the students who can hardly imagine those theories.
I can only force myself to memorize those ideas, and it turns out I forgot them easily.
Bikerman
There is also the related problem of over-use of metaphor. Most good teachers constantly try to analogise and use similes/metaphors to relate the subject under discussion to the students own experiential framework. Unfortunately, as one moves into higher level work, this can be a negative. When looking at fundamental physics, such as Quantum Mechanics, any metaphor that the teacher might use is going to be severely limited in scope and applicability and will soon break-down. One reaches the point where one just has to say - look, it ain't like ANYTHING, so comparing, say, quantum superposition to anything within your existing experience is more likely to confuse than it is to clarify....
lightworker88
It helps me subconsciously understand what I am asking for in my prayers. That said, it is fascinating in and of itself. But as a layman with a background in sociology, I recognize there are limits to what I will be able to understand. I just try to understand what I can and not dwell on what I cannot.
badai
it's the mathematics.

no such thing as abstract thinking. physics is not philosophy.
zacky
aayushsrivastava14 wrote:
Even I find it somewhat difficult. What about you?

Well I guess its just a matter of interest and willingness to learn.
chatrack
Hi,

for every ideas that you learn in physics, there is a connected example from your day to day
life. think about them and that will help you learn those ideas
quanmechanix
cabenqc wrote:
IMHO, it's due to
You
Your Interests
Course Materials
Teacher
Laughing

This one is exactly right. It's a matter of your interest and also the willingness to learn the course. Very Happy
lightworker88
I am realizing that any subject can be made more interesting with the right amount of context. Abstraction by definition seems to be lacking in context for teaching purposes.
jajarvin
badai wrote:
it's the mathematics.

That one part of physics.
The other part is understanding the laws on nature.
zarawatsonn
In my opinion when you learn Physics, don't learn it as a subject just try to learn it as a problem with the solution. When you take interest in it, you will find it easily to understand.
badai
hah! another indian user digging up old topic.

i am not stereotyping.