FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Homebrewing, & bottle size/type decision making

coolclay
Not sure if there are any other homebrewers hanging out here on Frihost but, I've been brewing for about 6 years now. I don't drink much but have probably a 100 gallons of beer/wine under my belt.

Most recently I've been trying to decide the most environmentally method of bottling. I have 15 or so 22 oz fliptop bottles that I like to use because they are completely reusable vs. typical bottle cap bottles which I have to purchase and throw away the bottle caps.

The only problem is when I brew higher gravity beers like the one I am drinking now, I call Bloody Brit Bitter (6.5 abv) by the time I drink an entire 22 oz I am feeling pretty swell. Now I might be a light weight (in my opinion a good thing) but I'd rather not feel inebriated if I can help it.

SO therein lies my conundrum do I use typical 12 oz capped bottles and just suck it up or do I just down a 22 ouncer and deal with the consequences. I mean there are worse problems to have I know.
jajarvin
I had difficulties in reading this post Wink

What is oz and gallon?

This link help me with the conversion from oz ->l iters and gallon - liters http://www.convertunits.com/from/gallon/to/liters

The term abv seems to be Alcohol by volume http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_by_volume

And of course: 22 ouncer?

It seems to be 22 items which each weights 437.5 grains 1/16 pound (28.35 grams) http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ounce
coolclay
These are mostly units. Here in the US we still use the archaic imperial system of measurement for volume known as the fluid ounce or fl. oz for short. One ounce is a 1/16th of a pound, and one fluid ounce is the volume that 1 ounce of water in air occupies at 62 degrees Fahrenheit.

SO a 22 "ouncer" is a larger beer bottle whereas a 12 oz bottle is the normal beer bottle size.

Moral of the story is don't put beer with a lot of alcohol in a large bottle.

Sorry for the confusion, even I get confused by the imperial system sometimes! Wish us dumb Americans would join the rest of the world and use metric.
standready
coolclay wrote:

Moral of the story is don't put beer with a lot of alcohol in a large bottle.

You could always send it to me. I'll drink a 22 or 2! laugh

I guess if you don't want to drink that much at the time and the fliptop bottle won't keep contents after opening for say 24 hours, then go for the 12 oz bottle. Environmental verses economics?
BigGeek
Coming from Colorado - A state that has the most number of Micro Breweries per capita than any other state - loving micro and home brewed beer!

I say use the 22 ounce bottle and enjoy the beer buzz - If 12 ounces is good 22 is better!

A local brewery Left Hand Brewery makes a Russian Imperial Stout that is 10.7% alcohol. First time I drank one I was putting the alternator on my truck - Had the old one off, was starting to bolt the new one on when my buddy handed me one of these beers - I took a big gulp and exclaimed WOW that's tasty - I had downed the whole thing while putting on the alternator and as I was picking up the tools and hooking up the battery - It hit me - I stood up and said WOW - what is the alcohol content of that one - in 4 gulps of a 12 oz. beer I drank three Budweiser equivalent beer and I had a BUZZ!!

I say drink a little more and deal with it - just don't drive anywhere!!!! Cool
deanhills
Great post BigGeek. Think I could do with one of those beers. Must be fun for beer lovers to live in Colorado. Very Happy
BigGeek
deanhills wrote:
Great post BigGeek. Think I could do with one of those beers. Must be fun for beer lovers to live in Colorado. Very Happy

Thanks deanhills - Yeah if your a beer drinker it is the place to live - Those Russian stouts are pretty stiff - one will do you just fine Cool
fuzzkaizer
"...there’s nothing wrong with a lady drinking alone in her room."
that tom waits line indicates that ther IS something about drinking alone or with someone else - therefore i suggest that if that bottle is too big, you simply share that bottle with someone of your choice. nothing refines a good beer better than the right company. maybe i even would prefer a warm can of beer in the company of friends to drinking the best ice cold beer alone. consider that you might want to use beer glasses, though... even more, the more you intend to drink.
as a reminder for those notorious beer enthusiasts, you maybe should leave a note on your labels like: "Warning. Share content of bottle with at least one other person. Do not enjoy alone. Otherways you'll miss the best part!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcvQsetOV4g
Insanity
I'm also brewing something similar with a very entry level beer making kit. I'm surprised mostly by how long the process is, but I guess it's something that should be expected because you need to let it brew for a long period of time and then bottle it. Once it's ready though, it'll be so great to taste and drink my own beer. I am using plastic bottles, but I agree that having flip top bottles are the way to go because they don't require as much plastic usage, and I think the less plastic that is used, the better for food. And I think the glass bottles are a lot more durable.
fuzzkaizer
if you treat it right, a glass bottle should last longer than a lifetime, easily a several centuries, even some millenias...
ld63
fuzzkaizer wrote:
if you treat it right, a glass bottle should last longer than a lifetime, easily a several centuries, even some millenias...

Couldnt agree more. Just keep stocking up on glass bottles, recycle the ones you have, and enjoy the lifetime supply!
Insanity
Agreed. And there's no shortage of sand needed to make new bottles, so it's a great supply even when you don't consider recycling all the bottles. Off topic, but glass is one of the most renewable materials because of the high percentage of material that can be retained through recycling compared to other materials like plastic, which can only be recycled into lower quality materials.