FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Does anyone get the feeling the forum is dying?





BrightSparx
I used to be a member here some years ago, and the forum seemed an awful lot busier than what it is now, I get the feeling that it is going downhill? It's a shame because I really used to enjoy it. I don't know if it needs a rehaul with new content or something? I don't want to cause anyone any upset or offence at this post either, just expressing my opinions.
BrightSparx
And the crack with the hosting situation doesn't do it any favours either... Sad
grofet
The situation is a lot of different now. Free blog service is getting better and better with ability of own domain customization. Right now my main website is hosted by free blog service that almost have zero downtime and without any advertising at all. Paid hosting is also getting cheaper and cheaper day by day. Basically there are so many people do not like to post on forum to get free hosting account. People just like to get free hosting account without doing anything except of the registration process. That's why post to host forum like frihost is going downhill. I think with a good promotion from the admin can increase the forums activity from new members. Frihost free hosting is a great free cpanel and directadmin hosting on internet. I believe that a lot of people want to have frihost free hosting account if they know the great quality of the frihost. Frihost still have a big potential to grow if the promotion is good enough.
rx9876
grofet wrote:
The situation is a lot of different now. Free blog service is getting better and better with ability of own domain customization. Right now my main website is hosted by free blog service that almost have zero downtime and without any advertising at all. Paid hosting is also getting cheaper and cheaper day by day. Basically there are so many people do not like to post on forum to get free hosting account. People just like to get free hosting account without doing anything except of the registration process. That's why post to host forum like frihost is going downhill. I think with a good promotion from the admin can increase the forums activity from new members. Frihost free hosting is a great free cpanel and directadmin hosting on internet. I believe that a lot of people want to have frihost free hosting account if they know the great quality of the frihost. Frihost still have a big potential to grow if the promotion is good enough.


It's true that the forum is not active recently.
Hope there is something we could do.

No offense.
As far as I know, frihost is the best freehosting.
So many freehosting I tried, and I found no one is more stable than frihost.
Frihost has better bandwidth and connection limit too.

May I know your free host provider?
It would be nice to have a backup site.
Since my backup server is end of service for a few month.
Thanks.
Ankhanu
rx9876 wrote:
Hope there is something we could do.

At the user level the answer is so super simple and obvious that it's easy to overlook:
Create content.
Post. Reply to topics. Create topics. Make your replies and topics thoughtful and interesting and really contribute. It's not always easy, but the idea is simple.

Without good, active content, all forums will die.


Frih has been somewhat slow in recent months, which is partially due to lack of administrator effort, and partially due to changes in online culture through the years. Meassageboards in general aren't as busy as they had been a couple years back (exceptions apply). We moderators are working to keep the forum flowing as well as we can, and keep it clean of spam as swiftly as possible, but there's only so much we can do. When it all boils down, a forum is its users, and the users dictate its success or failure.
truespeed
Ankhanu wrote:
When it all boils down, a forum is its users, and the users dictate its success or failure.


Partly,I would say there is more emphasis on the owner,if Frihost ever goes to the wall,it won't be the users that have made that happen.
Blaster
I agree with truespeed. We arn't getting any new members because the new ones we get arn't getting hosted so they don't stick around. Without these people sticking around then new topics arn't created. This then drives people away because their isn't anything new to talk about.
jajarvin
grofet wrote:
Basically there are so many people do not like to post on forum to get free hosting account.


For me it is pleasure to post on this forum. My English language skills are not so good and posting on Frihost gives me a change to learn more English.

I joined Frihost on October 2012. After that time have posted 358 times. That means a lot of English writing.

For me Frihost is a fine place to improve my ability to write text with English.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
I agree with truespeed. We arn't getting any new members because the new ones we get arn't getting hosted so they don't stick around. Without these people sticking around then new topics arn't created. This then drives people away because their isn't anything new to talk about.
Agreed. Just not so sure that threads like these are doing Frihost any good. Maybe we should work with what we've got rather than what we don't have. The discussions we get at Frihost are much superior to other post for host forums.

Our Web hosting support and IT forums are regularly attended by expert members of Frihost. We have some great active members here and if they post less than usual, I think I can live with that. The admin part is probably not so good, but if it means the difference between Frihost and no Frihost, then I can work with that as well. At least some of the new members get hosting. Just much harder than it used to be. And we have at least two active mods who are doing stellar work in challenging circs. Thumbs up to them as it can't be easy when Bondings isn't around.
coolclay
Agreed, with that being said from today I will be starting as many interesting discussions as possible. Maybe I am just saying that because I am slightly inebriated but I miss the days of so many good discussions I had to choose which I had time to discuss. Either way my goal will be to start a new post every other day (unless of course I am at sea for several days which is entirely possible with my new job). Today's post will be why I should put my high gravity homebrew's in smaller bottles.
zimmer
for me, Its a matter of topic and its a matter on how you read and reply comments that you seems interested on your self.

Yes, i agree you have a point but i also disagree on the other face of a coins. Well, topics my have different subjects but you might it read several almost the same scenario.

I disagree, because i find learning and find it more interesting on the other topics and subjects. On of the topics or categories i like is the support. Support is very important here.

I guess you pressured on posting that is why you complain at the same point.
cybersa
Yeah.
But i'm hoping forum will get back to active soon. Wink
Blaster
coolclay wrote:
Agreed, with that being said from today I will be starting as many interesting discussions as possible. Maybe I am just saying that because I am slightly inebriated but I miss the days of so many good discussions I had to choose which I had time to discuss. Either way my goal will be to start a new post every other day (unless of course I am at sea for several days which is entirely possible with my new job). Today's post will be why I should put my high gravity homebrew's in smaller bottles.

Good idea. I wish I could think of topics to start because I would. Some times seeing the same posts here just discourges me and I'm sure it does the same for other people
deanhills
Blogging is a good way to start own topics. But yeah .... I get it that one has to be very much motivated to do that spontaneously. Will take extra effort. I'll try and do more of that shortly as have some photos to post from my recent travel to South Africa.
Blaster
deanhills wrote:
Blogging is a good way to start own topics. But yeah .... I get it that one has to be very much motivated to do that spontaneously. Will take extra effort. I'll try and do more of that shortly as have some photos to post from my recent travel to South Africa.

Looking foward to it. Anything that brings a higher post count here with the exception of spam is a good thing.
spinout
It has been a bit slow yes, but I do hope it gets better. More flaming please!
hown
because the world has changed with the existence of social media like Facebook/twitter.
FB is a huge threat to forums because of the 'Groups' function.
StriderVM
I think the only problem of this forum/site is just lack of exposure.

I like the idea of how this forum works..... It just needs to be more known. Smile
deanhills
StriderVM wrote:
I think the only problem of this forum/site is just lack of exposure.

I like the idea of how this forum works..... It just needs to be more known. Smile
True. One could also argue Frihost has become the Internet Free Webhosting's best kept secret with its own special legend - Bondings.
Insanity
I don't think it's dying, but quite the opposite. Maybe it's because I was here when FriHost was just starting out, but it was a lot more empty back then. There are lots more people and posters on here. I think that it has grown significantly, but more than that, it has managed to stay stable unlike all the other free hosting websites out there. I know because I used to go through all these websites like no other, and they all managed to fall apart in some way. I think it's progressed very well and it's definitely growing. However, with that said I hope it doesn't grow too big that it can't be sustained like all those other free sites.
playfungames
I think that forums in general are dying. People are busy in the other side of the web. Sites like Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr etc are keeping people busy when they are online. People are busy liking things, sharing funny pictures and posting memes. Remember before, people used to join forums just to discuss normal things?

I think that Frihost is still here because it provides great free hosting. People who need it are still here. But that number is declining as more and more people upgrade to paid hosting and other free hosting services. That is why people seem to be declining in this forums.

I see that forums of popular sites are still active. But they are active because the main site has something different to offer. May be frihost can have other services in the main site and people can come to this forum to discuss about those services and also about related topics.
Blaster
I wouldn't really say all forums are dying but some defiantly are. For example I belong to a chevy truck forum that has new posts all the time and it is like frihost was 7 years ago.
bakerweb
I think this forum is still getting a decent flow of new users from 3rd party advertisements, Like me!
Ghost Rider103
Ankhanu wrote:



Frih has been somewhat slow in recent *years*, which is partially due to lack of administrator effort, and partially due to changes in online culture through the years. Meassageboards in general aren't as busy as they had been a couple years back (exceptions apply). We moderators are working to keep the forum flowing as well as we can, and keep it clean of spam as swiftly as possible, but there's only so much we can do. When it all boils down, a forum is its users, and the users dictate its success or failure.


I've fixed this for you. Very Happy
Ankhanu
Touche Sad
Blaster
I think when bondings went and made the big changes to the forum layout is when it really started dying. There is too many forums and it can be overwhelming for people
deanhills
Bondings has only really been "absent" from the Forum since May of last year, so not a year yet. And he is still looking after the servers, so to a certain extent he is still around for that which is most important. Counting our blessings here, if anything should go wrong with a server, one can always contact Bondings. We're also lucky to have Ankhanu and Bikerman on regularly, particularly since the large majority of Mods and Account Creators haven't been present in the forum for YEARS, or VERY occasionally. Then last but not the least are all of the regular members around here. We may not be as great as years ago, but we have both active and semi-active members who contribute above average quality posts when compared with other similar Forums. We are far from dead yet. Razz
william
Just some thoughts.

Nearly every forum I've been active on for 5 or more years has seen a decline in usage of some sort. Part of this could be blamed on social networking. But, more than anything, the members on most of these forums are a student majority. Obviously, five years is enough time for lifestyles to change (be it from jobs, research, or other endeavors) to the point where there just isn't enough time to post. And, there wasn't really an influx of new members partially because younger individuals don't seem that interested in the topics or simply grew up with more simplistic social networking discussions. Even now, when I look around, reddit is the only forum I see most people open up normally. Otherwise, I'm the only one. So, in the case of Frihost, we can see students moving on with their lives just from the founder. Yet, considering this place is still up and running, it's clear he hasn't left the scenes completely. And then there's just the issue that few people I know care to make websites anymore. And if they do, a pre-made Wordpress blog is more than adequate. I, for one, don't understand tumblr, yet a lot of younger individuals use it to no end (I grew up designing websites on Geocities when I was a kid, so eventually moving up to something like Frihost was natural).

Also, another point. Very few general forums seem to be very successful (minus reddit). I joined a couple several years back and they're long gone. However, I'm on a number of special interest forums where the general section appears more active than Frihost of 2006. I really feel dividing Frihost into so many categories is extremely overwhelming, and considering the lack of activity these days, the forum feels even less active than it is if you don't check every subforum. (One thing, I'm sometimes surprised we even hit 2000 posts in a month...where are all these posts? Blogs? P&R?).

On a more positive note, Frihost hosting is still the best I've ever seen from a free host. There was another host that offered more storage and vastly more bandwidth without any posting requirement that had stayed online for about six years. The server was slow, but I was quite impressed. A couple months ago, it went down without notice. Other hosts usually go down after a couple months, but I actually had hope that these guys would be different, but, alas. I know we're not supposed to bring up other hosts per Frihost rules, but there's one host, say a cleaner Geocities (they're long gone, so that should be acceptable) competitor, I've used, other than Frihost, that still keeps the sites up after, well, I believe eight years now. But, they have no mySQL databases, no PHP, nothing fancy at all.
DesquisiadoMoral
http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/frihost.com

Take a look!! This graphic show a down trendline Confused it's not just perception that's true. Shocked Shocked I'm afraid this board get down!!! Shocked
deanhills
Alexa vs Bondings. I'll put my money on Bondings any time.
Sylin
One good thing about not getting any hosting yet is that I can slack off from posting from time to time without having to worry about the 45 points going down to 44.
I am amused I am still coming back time and again though, my request's been sitting there since August, but I'll try to find something to contribute to the forum =)
DesquisiadoMoral
Before Social Network were exploted the forum used to be a place where we experimented emotions to post, questiones, share content with friends on another unknowed place. Currently with the appearing of facebook, twitter everything comes different, many people prefer to create a ''facebook page'' before to create manually as before Razz... (It'ts just my hypothesis).
leoefi
BrightSparx wrote:
I used to be a member here some years ago, and the forum seemed an awful lot busier than what it is now, I get the feeling that it is going downhill? It's a shame because I really used to enjoy it. I don't know if it needs a rehaul with new content or something? I don't want to cause anyone any upset or offence at this post either, just expressing my opinions.


Well it is just more proffesional i think .

I joined today and in the begining the whole site/forum seemed to me like a messed up situation.
But not more than 3-5 mins i realized the whole structure.
It is very well designed and seems to have professional members.



Dunno...you are so old member you know better.
Pippo90
It's truly a pity since, from what I know, Frihost is the best free hosting provider by far. All the other free services destroy your experience with hidden advertisement... Sad
spinout
it goes up and it goes down. Today the forum seems like treadmill... people print some words just because they must. More flaming please! Laughing
Blaster
The more other people post the more posts that we can reply to therefore increasing the number of posts made on the forum
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
The more other people post the more posts that we can reply to therefore increasing the number of posts made on the forum
Totally. Thanks for making this post. Dancing

Blaster
Just stating the obvious sometimes might help people get the hint. By 1 person posting 4 times a day we can increase it by say 16 posts a day. Thats pretty good if you ask me.
Ankhanu
That's what I've been sayin' each time these topics come up Razz
Users make the forum; user activity engenders activity in other users. The more (good) content we contribute, the healthier the forum/community.

Admins play a role in promoting the forum, and in the case of Frih, providing services, but, it doesn't matter what they do (or don't in some cases), it's the users who define the success of the community.
Two counter examples. I've put a fair bit of effort into making my own messageboard work over the years; promoting, being active, trying to recruit... but it's remained obscure and pretty inactive despite my efforts as an admin. FriHost is currently in a position of hands off administration. Despite this, the community is still active and vibrant. Yes there's some decline, but that's only partially due to lacking administration... all in all, the community is keeping itself alive. It could be more actively growing with more admin support, but it's not absolutely crucial.


POST!
Deline
I don't feel it's dying, but before people used it to interact with more interest. Compared to the brazilian forum, the english one is much better.
Blaster
Well said Ankhanu. Also the fact that we still have a few moderators around that help keep the forum spam free is also a good thing. Thanks for all you guys do!
deanhills
True. Thanks for all the hard work Ankhanu and being a poster of incredible substance. Wish there were awards that are given for contributions above the norm, like for example the message board.
jamesparker
I do not think its dying. Its slow some how but not ending, It will b active.
zimmer
yes and no.. like for example for frihost; frihost is a unique and gives the user to post more and more since its offers free hosting so i guess i will not die.

This also depends on the user if they dont like anymore free host. but in my case i love this forum with free hosting.
chasbeen
I think there is a "hardened" user base that is a tremendous thing.
At the topmof this pyramid there are a few dedicated individuals.
It's good to hear some people get hosting still. Maybe Bondings could grant an extra trusted admin?

Roll on Frihost!
spinout
I think it has been dead for 2 years actually. But you need some points and you write something with an effort to shape up the forum and some time later you notice that the posting is gone ... and no one reads anyhow what you wrote... Well well - but this is a commersial funded site so you have to go with the flow, no problems,.
RosenCruz
The regular activity around the forums are dead. True. But FH definitely is not dead.
Marcuzzo
RosenCruz wrote:
The regular activity around the forums are dead. True. But FH definitely is not dead.


I agree, it's not dead but because of the regressive activity it is becoming harder and harder for users like me to find a topic to write about or to be active on.

my main forums here are the php, scripting, programming and pc related forums and the number of new threads is slimming down by the month and when I actually see a new topic there I usually want to facepalm.

I've stopped using my hosting in a while and it seems to be impossible for new members to get hosting so I'm not too sure about the future of frihost.
=> begin edit:
The reason why I stopped using my hosting was that I needed dedicated hosting and not a shared hosting environment. there's nothing wrong with the Servers Frihost uses when you use them for personal websites.
<== End Edit


the lack of moderation ( no offence to our mod's ) and the inactivity of admins is contributing to this trend and unless something changes this community will face certain death.
=> Begin Edit:
See the general Chat and hosting support forums, multiple threads have been started for this issue
<== End Edit


I would be more then happy to contribute to Frihost's comeback ( needless to say that this will not be a frihbie Razz ) and I'm sure that there are many others here that have the needed skills and expertise to contribute but I fear that most people have just given up on frihost and moved on to other forums/hosting providers etc...

If by any chance Steve ( Bondings ) reads this he can always PM me ( in't nederlands zoals we al vaker gedaan hebben in het verleden Wink ) and we could have a chat about this.
rx9876
Marcuzzo wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:
The regular activity around the forums are dead. True. But FH definitely is not dead.

I agree, it's not dead but because of the regressive activity it is becoming harder and harder for users like me to find a topic to write about or to be active on.

Indeed.
Many people really concern this situation.
However, it's really hard to do something to against this
if the most important incentive is not here anymore.
People came here for the post to hosting service, so hope there will be a solution in near future to help to revive frihost forums.
deanhills
Marcuzzo wrote:

I would be more then happy to contribute to Frihost's comeback ( needless to say that this will not be a frihbie Razz ) and I'm sure that there are many others here that have the needed skills and expertise to contribute but I fear that most people have just given up on frihost and moved on to other forums/hosting providers etc...

If by any chance Steve ( Bondings ) reads this he can always PM me ( in't nederlands zoals we al vaker gedaan hebben in het verleden Wink ) and we could have a chat about this.
I'd love to contribute too Marcuzzo. Nothing would make me happier if I could be an account creator and give people new domains. If you could be an Admin that would make me even happier.

The chance that Bondings will see this is probably one in a billion. I however enjoyed your post VERY much, and it was nice feeling to dream a little as well. Cool
RosenCruz
I believe there is a nice agreement and coalition around here. If Bondings is reading this, I am willing to help revive this community too. By either creating hosting accounts, moderating around or either ways.

I m glad dean and Marcuzzo feels the same. We guys should recommend this to Bondings. Wink
Insanity
I think FriHost has lasted an amazingly long time. The forums might be getting a little stale, but the site itself and the hosting that it provides is pretty unparalleled in terms of support and features for no advertising. I think a lot of people stop posting after they get their hosting and that is one reason why sometimes there's not a lot of posts. A lot of people think it's a good idea, and then after a while they get disinterested so they don't post anymore.
Marcuzzo
Insanity wrote:
A lot of people think it's a good idea, and then after a while they get disinterested so they don't post anymore.


if they want to keep their hosting they should remain active on the forums.
I don't think that the removal of hosting is done by automation so it wouldn't surprise me if you could keep your hosting while in the negative. nowadays anyway.
RosenCruz
Agreed. I was away for years from Frihost. I came back and my hosting account was active. That is why many people stop posting regularly.

Quote:
if they want to keep their hosting they should remain active on the forums.
I don't think that the removal of hosting is done by automation so it wouldn't surprise me if you could keep your hosting while in the negative. nowadays anyway.
Related topics
Does anyone know how to get your site to appear higher ?
Nightwish... does anyone like it?
Does anyone know.....
Does anyone play StarCraft?
Croatia in panic: Bird Flue knocks on the door!!!
Does anyone use the new Joomla 1.1.x beta?
does anyone know the contact script and the comment pages
Does anyone like football?
Does anyone else like randomly Quoting shows & movies?
Does anyone want to travel? Where?
Does anyone try Adobe Acrobat 3D?
Does anyone know the Linksys Passphrase to WEP Key Algorithm
Does anyone know of a university near Austin that teaches...
Does anyone like Boxing
Does anyone know of a free secure-image servers for Paypal
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.