FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What a waste

standready
I have a person in my neighborhood that throws out perfectly good items for the garbage collector. Floor lamps, desk and perfectly good storage totes plus other items including clothes to the trash. Why not donate these items to charitable organizations or even just sit them out on a non-trash pickup day with a sign "FREE!"?

Myself, I re-purpose, recycle or donate any item I can.
johans
well donation is a kind and with all of your heart. If they dont want it then i guess its there call anymore.
bukaida
People who has enough often tends to forget the less fortunate people. Survival of the fittest is an old law but it is the property of helping the less fortunate is what makes us human.
jajarvin
I am now using a monitor which I have picked up from the garbage collector of my dwelling house.
This is a HPL1901w monitor. The size of it is 19" and it is working fine.
Someone just did not need it any more.
william
I'd honestly just ask them if I could take the items. I've nearly done that a couple times but backed out because I had too much junk and no place for new stuff. I think I've posted it before on this forum, but I genuinely like the idea of posting something like "Curb Alert" on Craigslist's freebie section. Just allows people a few days to take what they want before the garbage collectors do.
deanhills
I'm probably "lucky"in the sense that there are always needy people around me I know off and who benefit from wht I'm "dumping" - mostly from India. Clothing wise too, the UAE has very large bins positioned at almost every street corner for dumping clothes, shoes, linens etc for special causes like Pakistan, Afghanistan, etc. There is really no excuse to dump salvageable objects and even if a person should do that, there are usually humans hoping for that to happen as we have a number of dumpster divers who always hope for a good find in/at the dumpsters. I seem to recall in Canada it was a means for living for some of the not so well to do, and maybe the well to do as well, to work their way through the garbage bins. Coolclay has a complete writeup about the art of salvaging stuff from garbage bins. I'd imagine there would be many people benefitting from discarded items at/in/around dumpsters.

http://www.coolclay.info/DumpsterDiving.html
Blaster
Anything that still has life in it in my area is usually trash picked faster than you can take it to the curb. I live in a nicer area but with ghetto surrounding me. It's easy to donate stuff around here but some people are just lazy. Some donation companies will even come to your house to pick the stuff up.
Deline
There are many things in my parents's house that were given by a friend who were changing his furniture. Here in Brazil it's common that people recycle some things, but there are a few people who totally waste their things by throwing them in the garbage. That's why there are a lot of campaigns to give the things you don't use the proper discard.
coolclay
Yea, it's so sad to see people do that. And that's coming from a professional dumpster diver/garbage picker who has literally made thousands of dollars off things people throw away. Its disgusting, that people don't even take the time to donate it too a non-profit, they could even get a tax donation receipt so that can even make some money!

We live in a pretty horrible day and age in many ways, and I am afraid it's only going to get worse as the rich continue getting richer and the rest get left behind.

You should definitely grab the good stuff you see being tossed and donate to a non-profit, then take the tax write off for yourself!
Blaster
The problem with taking that stuff is you can actually get fined for it depending on where you live and if the cops really want to press the issue. In my area you need a permit to trash pick. It is an actual business (more scrap metal.)
coolclay
Are you sure about that Blaster? SCOTUS ruled that any discarded material on public property (sidewalks, road right of way etc) had no common law expectation of privacy.

Unless of course there is a specific local ordinance in your jurisdiction of course. You still living in PA?
Blaster
Yup still living in the commonwealth. That right there is the reason it can be a problem. Each municipality can self rule. The thing that gets people is the ordinances.

At the beginning of each month is big trash day. People throw out everything and anything. The problem comes when people come and pick this stuff up. Usually the township takes and makes money off of the stuff. Anything that disrupts the township making money will result in them finding other ways to make that money back.
grofet
Here in my county it's rare the people throw valuable things on the garbage. Many people likes to give the unused stuff to other people or sell it for money. In my country there are lot of scavengers looking for something valuable and something that can be recycle on the garbage. There are so many poor people here that always available to receive valuable items.
coolclay
Grofet where might I ask is this? We do that here too, well some of us that actually have a conscience (or in my case like the tax writeoff and have a conscience).

Yea I know what you mean Blaster the township I grew up in PA had one big trash day once a year, it was heaven for scrappers and trash pickers like myself. The township never made any money off it however. However most places changed their policies and you can throw big stuff out whenever now.

The town I live in now works under the pay per bag scheme. I think it is great, charge people specifically for how much they throw away and they will throw away less and donate/recycle more!

For TV's and couches it's an extra $20 fee which I think is reasonable.
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
The town I live in now works under the pay per bag scheme. I think it is great, charge people specifically for how much they throw away and they will throw away less and donate/recycle more!

For TV's and couches it's an extra $20 fee which I think is reasonable.
Sounds like a great idea! I guess the bags are provided and focus is on size vs weight? Do they separate the items?
standready
coolclay wrote:

They all should be setup that way.

I just went with a good neighbor to donate a bed back to the thrift store he brought it from 2 years ago. His daughter out grew it.
Blaster
coolclay wrote:
Yea I know what you mean Blaster the township I grew up in PA had one big trash day once a year, it was heaven for scrappers and trash pickers like myself. The township never made any money off it however. However most places changed their policies and you can throw big stuff out whenever now.

If I'm not mistaken you were in a more rural area so I could see how this is plausible. I on the other hand am in a county that is 2nd in the state with population per sq mile. My 5.7 sq mile town has roughly 17,000 occupants. Which is more people than some entire counties have in it ie Potter County