FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hello, Banwidth question.

Guelila
Hello, Bondings (or other admin)
You know how we have 10GB bandwidth?
Well, I know its a lot, and I never though my site will use up that much, but its the 10th and I have used up 3GB all ready..
Is there a way you could increase the limit when it comes the time?
thanks,
Guelila.

btw the site is www.freshynet.info
and I am always thankful for your hosting.
Daniel15
Bondings MAY give you a temporary bandwidth upgrade, although it would be for only one month.

Maybe people are hotlinking to your images (people on other sites are using your bandwidth). Disable hotlinking (using cPanel or DirectAdmin) and see if that reduces the bandwidth used.

If you need more than 10GB bandwidth a month, maybe Free hosting isn't for you?
Reiji
Anyway, if the 10th yo hace consumed 3GB, ten more days goes to 6GB and ten more to 9GB...you´ll be missing 1GB at the end of the month. Very Happy
Bondings
The problem is not really the bandwidth, but the reason why you have so much bandwidth. If you have a lot of 1MB images, then it's ok, and we can work something out. However, your website is one of the most resource-intensitive on the whole server and that's what I don't like. I'm going to take a look at your account when I have more time and see what we can do about it.
Mark999111
you must either be generating lots of traffic or your files are huge and people are downloading lots of stuff

try reducing image size and compressing any videos etc. this would reduce the quality of them but assuming your site isnt for business purposes, it wouldnt have too much of a negative effect

EDIT: may i ask how, if your site is only up 10 days, you have managed to generate that many members to your forum so soon?
Guelila
I am hosting my banners from another image hoster so its not the banners, and My forum isnt 10 days old Mark999111, It has been up since September.
The members have been increasing lately and that is why I have around 380 members.

Quote:
However, your website is one of the most resource-intensitive on the whole server and that's what I don't like.

What does this mean??
Lady Elensar
I think because you have many files, images etc. which uses a lot of bandwidth.
Bondings
Guelila wrote:
I am hosting my banners from another image hoster so its not the banners, and My forum isnt 10 days old Mark999111, It has been up since September.
The members have been increasing lately and that is why I have around 380 members.

Quote:
However, your website is one of the most resource-intensitive on the whole server and that's what I don't like.

What does this mean??

Your website is always in the top5/top3 of the websites using the most CPU/Memory/RAM, sometimes even more than this forum.

Normally, from what I saw from your website/forum (not much), you shouldn't be using so much bandwidth and resources even without hosting the banners on an image hoster.

I'm going to look at your account and tell you what's the problem with it. It might be some bot running crazy on your website, (like google asking for the same page with different sid every few seconds) or some referral spam or even another website hotlinking your images.

I just don't have enough time to do it now, but please don't worry about the bandwidth at the moment, we'll find a solution.
Mark999111
Guelila wrote:
... and My forum isnt 10 days old Mark999111, It has been up since September.

Quote:

What does this mean??

aaah i read: 'its the 10th' and assumed you meant the 10th day since the site was up. that many members in 10days would be awesome
Guelila
wow..
I guess my site is causing you and the server a lot of trouble?...
If I change hosting to another host, is it possible to take all the information I have right now and move to the other host?
I dont want to lose all the posts/topics/other MYSQL things...
Bondings
Guelila wrote:
wow..
I guess my site is causing you and the server a lot of trouble?...
If I change hosting to another host, is it possible to take all the information I have right now and move to the other host?
I dont want to lose all the posts/topics/other MYSQL things...

There are a few sites who use more resources then yours, so it's not really a lot of trouble. It's just frustrating that the biggest part of the server load is generated by 10-20 sites. Wink
Reiji
So, can you tell which sites are in the top5?

Just to know. Wink
n0obie4life
Reiji wrote:
So, can you tell which sites are in the top5?

Just to know. Wink

I doubt Bondings would want to tell anyone that. He won't want them to get hate-PMs saying that

"You sux11!! J00 tak3s s00 much of t3h resourc3 that teh server lagx0r!!"
ignition
I guess just running active forums takes up a lot of bandwidth. My site (amhs.frihos...) has used a gig of bandwidth this month already - I don't have any large files on the server, and I only have one small site which is used as an intro to the forum.

The forum only has like 13 members, because it's for a few friends from school, but it has over 2000 posts already and it's been up around a month. Also having multiple styles takes up more bandwidth, rather than just forcing everybody to have the same one.

The chat thing (phpMyChat, install from cpanel) also consumes bandwidth fairly rapidly, as every message posted is stored in a database and users have the ability to see all the old messages by typing in /last #. I've made it so messages are deleted after 4 days, but I may have to shorten that even more to save bandwidth.

Once again..the largest file I have on the site is a 7 mb video, and it has only recieved around 20 downloads. The forum and the chat are the real bandwidth consumers....
Guelila
Hello,
Is there a way I can buy more bandwdith?
If possible with you, I can put up one of the advertising things you have here at the forum, on my forum.
Or,
Can a buy more bandwidth?
Bondings
I'm sorry guelila, but your website is generating more cpu-usage than frihost on some days. I'm really not able to host such a website for free and charging money is also not an option at the moment. If you maybe optimize your website a bit, if possible, then I would consider it.
Guelila
Ok, Bondings, please answer all my questions.

1st - When I change hosts, is it possible to take everything with you? (such as MYSQL databases, users, and everything in the database and stuff.)

2nd - When i change hosts for the forum, can I still have hosting here for a personal site?

3rd - If question 2 is possible, can you change my domain to freshynet.frihost.net?

Thank you Bondings, for your time and effort.
I don't want to cause anymore trouble to you and the server.
I really enjoy the free hosting here.
I will be changing hosts soon, but untill then, please keep my site up...
Thanks again,
Guelila
Bondings
Guelila wrote:
1st - When I change hosts, is it possible to take everything with you? (such as MYSQL databases, users, and everything in the database and stuff.)

Yes, that should be possible if the other host has cpanel. You might get a few problems with different database names and passwords, but that shouldn't be too hard to fix if you take some time for it.

Quote:
2nd - When i change hosts for the forum, can I still have hosting here for a personal site?

Of course, you are allowed to do that.

Quote:
3rd - If question 2 is possible, can you change my domain to freshynet.frihost.net?

Sure I can do that. Just request it in the 'request an account change' forum when you want it to be changed.
Guelila
Hello Bondings,
I am about to change hosts right now, but I cant access my cpanel.
How can I get to my cpanel when my bandwidth ran out? Is there a other way?
Thanks,
Guelila
Bondings
Guelila wrote:
Hello Bondings,
I am about to change hosts right now, but I cant access my cpanel.
How can I get to my cpanel when my bandwidth ran out? Is there a other way?
Thanks,
Guelila

I already thought that you found a way to lower the cpu-usage of your website. Wink

Anyway, I gave you another GB of traffic, I hope that will be enough for your website.

By the way, good luck with that website. Very Happy