FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mac vs Linux

Which is the better SOFTWARE macOS or Linux?
Mac
54%
 54%  [ 18 ]
Linux
45%
 45%  [ 15 ]
Something else that will run on a mac
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 33

ocalhoun
Since there seems to be many polls on mac vs windows (obvious), I thought some originality (not much) was in order.

By the way, I'm not refering to hardware at all, assume that this is between macOS on a mac and Linux on a mac.

There is at least one catagory in which linux beats macOS (and windows): Price. There's no beating open-source!
cheeta
hmm.. i wounder what is the diffrence between Software & an OS...

anyway... as OS is concern i would go with MAC...
Bookface
ocalhoun wrote:
There is at least one catagory in which linux beats macOS (and windows): Price. There's no beating open-source!

can you buy a mac without OS on it? No... and if not then the price is included with the hardware, for at least the basic components if not the added applications. Apple has always been a primarily hardware company.

unless you mean upgrading on an older Mac, in which case the best idea is to probably switch to linux for new developments in applications and OS features.

OS X seems like it's a good kind of midway point, though I don't have a lot of experience with it. It's easy to port OSS (open source software) to and it's still got the corporate user base. However, it's limited rather severely in customizability.
Ranfaroth
MacOS has lots of closed-source parts.
That's why Linux is better.
leodv
Linux is the way to go for desktop and server, MAC would win at development pc because the softwares are so tightly tested with it's development software. But Linux other than being free, being open source allow many developers to extend and maybe fix bugs even before the creators of that particular software notice it. Some development tool tho could not be at level with those expensive softwares for Mac, but they surely is catching up. Linux is getting better and better everytime.
Bookface
Sure, some parts of OS X are closed, but the vast majority of it is open source.

I'm a big believer in Linux, but I'm not gonna rule out OS X without trying it. I don't think it could have all that many bugs with a fairly large development team working on a fairly small portion of code. In fact, I'm pretty sure several areas of the closed-source part are more frequently examined by more people than their open-source equivalents... lots of eyeballs on your open source code is great, but only if they're looking.
mtemizel
I'm using Ubuntu 5.10. It is faster than MacOS & Windows. Installing a program is a bit harder than Windows. But Linux is more useful.
Windows has lots of bugs.
Linux is open source, this is important.

Linux Rulezz ! Very Happy
g_unit90
mtemizel wrote:
I'm using Ubuntu 5.10. It is faster than MacOS & Windows. Installing a program is a bit harder than Windows. But Linux is more useful.

I'm using Ubuntu 5.04 it is faster than MacOS & Windows.
lockwolf
If I remember right, Mac is linux based (Can anyone back this?) And if this is true, I totally would go with linux any day becuase mac is just an overpriced pile of crap operating system made by some people that are only in it for the money!
Ranfaroth
lockwolf wrote:
If I remember right, Mac is linux based (Can anyone back this?)
No, it's BSD-based.
Nicekiwi9
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed , uh oh.....i voted for mac.......(silly mouse) but i say here and now I SUPPORT LINUX, altho i saw somthing a few months ago that was quite a welcome site, a MAC mouse with TWO YES TWO!!!! buttons on it.....somthing id never herd of.....and it induced a quite a bit of experimentaion 2 see if it was real or just to make ppl buy it.....lol
ocalhoun
You can always just put a PC two-button mouse on a mac with USB, but does macOS really support it?
gonzo
Why not ask "which is better: OSX or linux"

hehe
netjunk
I would choose Mac over Linux. Mac is much more user friendly and the graphics are just spectacular. Linux is good if you are a serious computer and can program and everything but otherwise mac every time.
bananaphone
cheeta wrote:

An operating system is a whole bunch of different types of software that make your computer run - (or if its Windows, not run.)
barrie
i voted for mac because i like BSD more than linux, BSD is btw the only real unix out there, all the rest are clones but linux is pretty good

and the gorguous (did i type that right?) aqua interface of course. nothing can compete with that
Dino
I prefer Linux becouse I work on it and I never tried OS X, but thinking of buying a mac mini
Kd527
I prefer Mac. It's more user friendly and has more software and support. But there's nothing wrong with Linux.

mac is only good for grafical designers
for programmers linux
for noobs windows
garvalf4
I like both, even if I tend to prefer linux, I voted mac os x, because it has some amazing parts. I feel less free on a mac (I mean mac os x), but I respect it because it's unix based, and very conveniant to use.
About the 3 buttons mice, mac os x support them of course. It's just a pity they didn't implement a way for left handed people to switch buttons (they have to find 3rd party software for this purpose)
ocalhoun
(refering to macOSX)
garvalf4 wrote:
I respect it because it's unix based

And linux isn't?
webbone
I think mac best,Because mac is a business company!
But I think linux is best also! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
riv
Macs. They are stable, user-friendly, intuitive, and awesome. They also look very good. Both the hardware and the software. That's a bonus.
Bakkajocco
Linux is verry good for server stuff, when your doing a lan you got to have linux Cool
Kd527
tyxl wrote:
linux deuh
mac is only good for grafical designers
for programmers linux
for noobs windows

Mac is good for everything. Not just graphics designers. Smile Have you used a Mac before? Another reason I like Mac is I play games on it whereas almost no one develops games for Linux. I just found Linux hard to figure stuff out on. I was just so surprised at how easy every thing is on Mac. The most common way to install applications is drag and drop. that's it! But Linux itself is a great OS too.
fayettemat
cheeta wrote:

to answer your queston software is programs that run on your computer and the OS is the thing that software runs on the OS is like the Parent of the Software is that answer your question?
Bookface
fayettemat wrote:
cheeta wrote:

to answer your queston software is programs that run on your computer and the OS is the thing that software runs on the OS is like the Parent of the Software is that answer your question?

That's not exactly right... though generally people talking about software will mean applications, an operating system (OS) is a type of software. Software is any set of instructions that the hardware processes.

To make a poor analogy, your brain is hardware, and your thoughts (the electrical impulses running through your brain) are software.
6ib
linux (gentoo and debian) since they are the ebst for me. But for graphical designers mac might be much better. Just depends on what you need.
longjack
One great thing about Mac OS X is the ability to boot an OS off of a firewire drive, or to boot the machine from another mac in target mode.

If you need to create and install clone images for institutions, or if you have a hosed OS and need to get documents off the drive, the ability to get access to a the machine simply by plugging in a firewire is great.

If you have the Apple Remote Desktop app and also have an OS X server with netboot images at the site where the machines are you can do a lot of re-imaging and maintenance remotely fairly easily.

Combined with the handy user interface and the ease of maintenance the mac is a nice solution for operations without a full time tech guy. Schools, for example.

longjack
prongs_386
linux will ultimitly be the best OS. It's only problem is its lack of development into a strong easy to use system. All the simplified linux's suck, and there just arnt enough support for hardware and programs. Untill all programs are cross platform from windows to linux and mac to linux then the others will remain stronger.
djpalmer93
hi,

i personally find linux quite complicated and difficult to use, although its quite advanced. Mac OS X is much more user friendly and has better interface and features www.apple.com/macosx . I would go for Mac OS X anyday!
win66
ocalhoun wrote:
Since there seems to be many polls on mac vs windows (obvious), I thought some originality (not much) was in order.

By the way, I'm not refering to hardware at all, assume that this is between macOS on a mac and Linux on a mac.

I think Mac is more better, but linux is a open source OS.So, maybe one day linux can be more better than MAC
Bookface
longjack wrote:
One great thing about Mac OS X is the ability to boot an OS off of a firewire drive, or to boot the machine from another mac in target mode.

If you need to create and install clone images for institutions, or if you have a hosed OS and need to get documents off the drive, the ability to get access to a the machine simply by plugging in a firewire is great.

If you have the Apple Remote Desktop app and also have an OS X server with netboot images at the site where the machines are you can do a lot of re-imaging and maintenance remotely fairly easily.

Linux actually excels in all these fields as well. It's what happens when you build upon a good networked environment for programs and OSes.

You don't need to be running the native OS for your recovery, either. I once backed up a laptop with a broken CD drive and a borked Windows installation to a Linux server over the local ethernet by booting it up into a small version of linux on a floppy disk.
asfaltboy
hmm if u want to do some real work without the hassle of scripting everything get OSX ... besides ... dont Macs use a different processor technology ? Like a totally different CPU ? can u even run linux on Mac Hardware ?

If u can .. i would be tempted to run linux on it Razz just for fun ... but otherwise i think OSX is suggested worldwide as the best OS for media work.
Ranfaroth
asfaltboy wrote:
can u even run linux on Mac Hardware ?
Of course you can Rolling Eyes
SamiTheBerber
mtemizel wrote:

I also use UBUNTU 5.10, but I think installing sofwares are very easy. sudo apt-get install software-name
Marston
g_unit90 wrote:
mtemizel wrote:

I'm using Ubuntu 5.04 it is faster than MacOS & Windows.
My Fisher Price "My First Computer" is faster than Windows. My benchmark tests have shown that its not as fast as MacOSX though... Crying or Very sad Oh well, maybe some day it will be.
moncader
Linux all the way for me. Mac is great, really looks good, nice features and all, but the thing is is that you can do the exact same thing in linux with a few X mods and some simple conifguring. Linux is also open source, and nothing beats open source. Thats why Linux is starting to grow so fast and Mac is actually declining in sales. I love Linux, I love KDE, and I love the composite engine Very Happy
impulse29
I voted for Mac as well. I've been using Macs for a while, and have gone through about 5. Currently I use a powermac g5, and nothing comes close. For school I need to use programs such as Minitab, which are only available for windows, which is why I have a dell laptop. However only once you've been away from a Mac do you realize how much you've missed it.

Many people say that they use Mac OS X because of how it looks, but that's just a bonus. Being functional (opposed to windows), and having common sense. I have used Windows Vista beta 2, and I have to say that they try to copy mac os x, but it is the most illogical and nonfunctional OS I have ever tried. I would prefer Win XP to vista (at least so far).

However, I have also tried Ubuntu (not on the laptop though because of my unusual resolution), and really liked it. Reminds me more of a non-unix based windows operating system than a unix-based mac operating system Shocked . However, I can't start anything with linux OS's without a GUI, such as Gentoo.