FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

bootup password/keyboard inputs not accepted after hibernate

boinsterman
I put my Windows XP SP3 machine in hibernate mode so as to better understand what that is. I understand it is the same as standby except it would save my work first. I had set a CMOS/bootup password (in addition to the regular login password) because when I shut down and return the next morning, my internet connection would initialize automatically sometimes (not consistently) even when I disabled it before shutdown. (I have since discovered a couple of means of bypassing the prompt anyway, so the question is moot.)

(I am currently using someone else's computer to post this.)

The normal method of recovering from standby in Windows XP is pressing the power button, both on my machine and on the one I am using. This I what I did to recover from hibernation mode. I suspect I did the wrong thing?

When I try to get back in, the CMOS prompt apparently will not accept keyboard inputs. (I do not get a wrong password error like I have gotten previously.) Function keys show on the screen for "Setup" and "Boot Menu" prior to this screen, but pressing those buttons rapidly and repeatedly does nothing. (This is the first method of bypassing the CMOS prompt. I did it only once and do not recall whether I use the first or second, but exiting out of it sent me directly to the regular Windows login prompt.) If the machine is not accepting keyboard inputs, this would make sense. I checked the USB plug is properly and snugly plugged in, and it is, for. The only difference is hibernation mode.

Short of changing the BIOS battery (the other means of bypassing the CMOS prompt), which I understand stores the system time and initial setup information including the CMOS password, is there anything else I can do?

Thanks,
Boinsterman
Gregoric
The only thing I can tell you, is that my PC does not support hibernation at all, no matter whether I use Windows XP or 7. Entering hibernation mode makes the PC locked until I reset the CMOS. I am not sure what does cause this, but in my case BIOS just outputs error sound.

Last time it happened was when I left the PC on login screen of Windows 7 and went somewhere. After coming back, PC looked like it was turned to sleep mode but when I tried to wake it up, it reset and I couldn't turn it on like it had been hibernated - as I described above.

That is all experience I have with hibernating my PC. As resetting CMOS battery worked for me - you may try it yourself as well.
boinsterman
How do you reeset a CMOS battery? Does this just mean removing the battery and putting it back in? I get the impression this is a different process than replacing it.

Did you have a CMOS password set?

What about trying a different keyboard? Mine was working fine before, so I don't think that would do it.

I had my speakers turned off. I don't think my computer has its own speaker or beeper. I normally keep the sound muted and the speakers off, so I don't really pay attention to that.

Incidentally, does anyone know what CMOS or BIOS stand for?
Gregoric
I may have meant other word from which I had used Smile

What I had to do, is to turn CMOS battery off for like 20-30 seconds to reset the BIOS. You will have to read in your motherboard's manual how to do it. Although it is not a difficult process, you should firstly ensure that you are allowed to do that. It requires opening the PC's 'box' to access the motherboard devices manually - in some cases it cancels the warranty. Also, you could just contact some of your friends who is a bit more into computer hardware stuff to do it for you.

Although your case is indeed different, resetting the BIOS is the only thing that came to my mind. You could wait for others' answers, they may probably have other ideas.

About the sounds - some motherboards have their own 'speakers' that make sound during turning the PC off or - like in my case - reporting errors.
boinsterman
I don't have the motherboard manual. (It's a pretty old computer.) Would just removing it for a few minutes do it? I might have to talk to a friend like you suggest, though.
AtifJamalAnsari
try to login with your regular username and password (which you use to login into your pc) hope it works..
boinsterman
I called a computer repair shop in my area. The guy I talked to said it might not be the BIOS/CMOS battery. It sound like I will have to bring it in for testing, which he said they could do pretty cheaply. But they sell the battery for $4.
AtifJamalAnsari
boinsterman wrote:
I called a computer repair shop in my area. The guy I talked to said it might not be the BIOS/CMOS battery. It sound like I will have to bring it in for testing, which he said they could do pretty cheaply. But they sell the battery for $4.

How's your pc now? Is it working?
Marcuzzo
it's been a while since I used XP and I haven't played with the BIOS for a while but here's a few things I want to share.

-. what type of keyboard are you using?
is it USB or PS2? I remember that USB support is not enabled by default on most machines

EDIT: I just re read your first post.. you are using USB... try a PS2 keyboard, remember to have the PS2 keyboard plugged in before powering up. also, don't use a converter, I'm talking about a real PS2 keyboard.

-. You don't reset your CMOS 'battery' but you reset the CMOS.(period)
Your BIOS is set in the ROM ( more precisely in the EEPROM) and per definition Read Only, ALL the stuff you 'change' in your BIOS is actually stored in the CMOS, not the BIOS.
if you've set up a bootup password it will be stored in the CMOS and there are 2 ways I know of to reset the CMOS to factory defaults.
1. Remove the CMOS battery and leave it out for 24 hours ( this way you can be 100% sure that the reset is done, I've reset mine in the past in less then 30 minutes )

2. short the jumper on your mobo. most (not all) mo(ther)bo(ards) have 3 pins where 2 of them are connected with a jumper: |-| | by pulling out the jumper and connecting the other 2 | |-| and setting the jumper back to the original position will also reset the CMOS. ( I do not recommend this procedure AT ALL so I'm not responsible If you mess up your machine and brick your mobo!!!

my advise is:
1. Don't take it to the repair shop just yet, if the battery of your CMOS is dead then the pc would not start OR it would start but with factory default settings and thus it wouldn't ask for a password but just boot with the primary HD.

2. Try using a PS2 keyboard instead of a USB keyboard

3. check on your mobo for the manufacturer, make and model details, with that information you should be able to find a manual on the internet and find the way to reset your CMOS.
boinsterman
My keyboard is in fact USB. By PS2 I suspect you mean the older, round connectors? I think I have one of those around.

Are there any sites out there that describe the hardware in layman's terms?

Marcuzzo, I've volunteered at a place that refurbished computers, and did learn a lot but not enough to understand all of what you described. I progressed to the point where I could test a computer to determine whether it was worth recycling, according to that facility's criteria.

The terms or symbols you used that I am not familiar with enough to be comfortable with include:

jumper--I can tell it's some type of connector.

pins--wiring contact points protruding from a connection device. There are several types within a computer. Some of those I know would connect directly to a motherboard have about that number of pins, but I'm not sure which ones.

"|-| |" is a symbolism I have never seen before, though I think I can figure it out.

BIOS--Basic Input/Output System? The system time and settings for BIOS are stored on the BIOS battery.

CMOS--don't know what it stands for. I thought CMOS and BIOS were effectively the same thing?

I'll try removing the battery for 24 hours. It does not seem like it would hurt anything. But I don't think I want to try the second method.
boinsterman
Marcuzzo, it worked!

I removed the CMOS battery (for several days, actually--took a while to get back to it) and used a PS2 keyboard. It restarted the first time I tried it--without any problems starting up.

I was initially typing on the USB keyboard with the PS2 keyboard plugged in instead. Duh. Embarassed And some settings did get changed on the reset that I had to change back, like the screensaver time. But I removed the CMOS password and everything is back to normal. I'm using it to type this.

Thanks, Marcuzzo
Gregoric
boinsterman wrote:
Marcuzzo, it worked!

I removed the CMOS battery (for several days, actually--took a while to get back to it) and used a PS2 keyboard. It restarted the first time I tried it--without any problems starting up.

I was initially typing on the USB keyboard with the PS2 keyboard plugged in instead. Duh. Embarassed And some settings did get changed on the reset that I had to change back, like the screensaver time. But I removed the CMOS password and everything is back to normal. I'm using it to type this.

Thanks, Marcuzzo

Good to hear that you have fixed the issue!