FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mixed cults? Ever met them?

chasbeen
I dont think any faith can completely escape the sub classification even groups of people gathering for a common cause.

Take the example of an atheist going to a football match.
Could that be considered a cult meeting?

A close relative of myself was in a cult for 2 or 3 years so I don't think I need to go to Wikipidea for the definition.

Here's what a 100% cult is in my opinion
1) You are told that you are special. If you digress from the rule set then you can always come back and be forgiven.
Example: It's ok to go out and murder someone as long as you come back and say sorry.
2)They demand huge amounts of your time
3)They demand an unreasonable amount of your other resources

Can you honestly say you never belonged to anything that could not be described (at least partially as a cult?)
deanhills
chasbeen wrote:

1) You are told that you are special. If you digress from the rule set then you can always come back and be forgiven.
Example: It's ok to go out and murder someone as long as you come back and say sorry.
Sounds like a typical family? They tell you you are special and love you. You decide to leave for a while, and then when you return they forgive you. They can demand HUGE amounts of your time. And an unreasonable amount of your resources. Razz
watersoul
chasbeen wrote:

Can you honestly say you never belonged to anything that could not be described (at least partially as a cult?)
Yep, honestly.
If I ever get caught up in such social interactions I will usually be found attempting to escape it through diplomatic means, or fighting my way out
Cults pick on the vulnerable as easy targets, even mainstream churches like to find converts in the homeless or substance users. I do not fit that category so have avoided such predatory tactics in my life.
chasbeen
Yeah believe it!

You don't until you've seen it, or at least not to the same extent.

It's world wide but far more concentrated in North America
than say dear old UK
nickfyoung
Watersoul
Quote:
Cults pick on the vulnerable as easy targets, even mainstream churches like to find converts in the homeless or substance users.

Very true. Many churches have a tight control on your life. They expect far more than just a Sunday service attendance. Many have midweek Bible study groups meeting in some one's home as well as other activities.

My wife and I recently cut back on many of our regular attendances with our local church. We found we were going Sunday morning and evening, to two or three midweek meetings, my wife went to a ladies group and I was going to a coffee morning group as well as film nights at the church as they came up. This was on top of twice a week music practice as I was one of the singers with the band. When we took a breadth and counted that was a lot of our time tied up with our local church.

So we just went cold turkey and dropped everything, and just go Sunday morning now. The powers that be were not over impressed with that reaction as they have now lost some of the control; they had over us.