FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What have you repaired to save some cash?

watersoul
My son came off his motorbike last week while on a bend in icy conditions at night.
No injuries and no other vehicles involved thankfully, but a very poorly bike with front wheel pointing in a different direction to the handlebars, plus broken plastic panels.
I limped the bike back to my house, loosened the front fork fittings and luckily they realigned easily enough with no twists or bends. Next the plastic panels:

Two were cracked really badly so after removing the stickers and sanding down I decided to do the two on the other side as well so they all look the same.
3 hours of us sanding down the surfaces, an hour filling/repairing, another hour sanding smooth, then an hour and a half spraying 6 thin coats of primer ready for the new paint coat. This is the stage I'm at right now:

The broken panels are 60 and 75 each to buy new, so 135 if I'd gone for replacing one side, 270 for the full set.
The repair filler, metal gauze, spray primer and paint came to a total of 30 for all 4 panels to look shiny new when I'm finished.
Waiting a day or so now to fine sand them all again ready for the colour coats of paint, which I shall probably get done on the weekend. Looking forward to a rich glossy finish and a bit of pride in some 'art/craft' type work which will have saved a few quid, and actually been quite a satisfying activity.

I live in a society where the attitude these days is often 'throw away and buy new' even a few friends have asked why I didn't just buy new compared to the time involved in the repair work. I replied that I was always crap at art in school so jobs like this give me an opportunity to explore my creative side, and say "I did that" Smile

So, anyone got any repair stories to share, how much money did you save?
I'm guessing a couple of hundred 's in my case when I take the realigned forks into account...I'm pretty happy with that!
standready
First, glad your lad is OK after the spill. Nice repair work on the panels.
I am like you, I never just throw anything out without trying to repair first.
watersoul
standready wrote:
First, glad your lad is OK after the spill. Nice repair work on the panels.
I am like you, I never just throw anything out without trying to repair first.
Cheers fella, I think the crash was a good thing at this early stage of becoming legal age on the roads, in Winter, he's experienced what can happen without injury, and he's reassessed his risk-taking as a result.

As far as repairing things goes though, this one is unusual for me, I would be very much more functional if it was my bike and just melt the plastic back together with a soldering iron. To my lad in his teenage social world it is his beautiful machine, so in his mind we're fixing looks/aesthetics much more than any 'does it work' thoughts I may have.
...I am enjoying the excuse/opportunity to create some beautiful smooth glossy bike panels though!

Share your repair stories here folks, whatever the 'thing' is which you repaired.
Perhaps you darn your socks? ...does anyone still even have that knowledge anymore? I can sew but haven't a clue how to darn things Laughing
Nyasro
I have repaired my tv and computer myself to save the money Smile
spinout
I have a vintage Bahco minimaster ventilation system in the house.
and after some years the bearings start to whine in the fans... So instead of buying a new ventilation system I changed the bearings... the cost for those where a total of 10 USD, my neighbour bought a new system for 2000 USD so I saved many zeroes!!
markharris
I repaired my favourite bag Very Happy
william
Glad nobody was injured. The repair looks pretty good, too. Very Happy

I, personally, am quite cross with the attitude of throwing away items that are 90% in working condition. If you walk around my street on days the trash is taken out, you can't help but wonder why these relatively new items (appliances, tools, bicycles, and furniture, mostly) are going to the trash. Some of the furniture can be fixed with a dab of wood glue. Some of the bicycles have much nicer frames than the one I'm riding. I've often considered just asking if I could take their trash, but then I realize how much junk I already have, that I pass for another day. Razz I understand some people don't have to time to repair items, or don't want to pay someone else to do it (since that may cost more than buying a new one). But that's why I like Freecycle and Craigslist's freebie section. It allows people to give away slightly broken items to someone like me who will fix it and put it to good use.

I repair just about everything that can be repaired. The only exceptions are when I don't have the tools/parts and they end up costing more than buying a new one. That's especially true of a lot of new consumer goods. While I've accumulated a wide variety of tools to repair most things (including proprietary stuff), sometimes replacement parts cost more than a new item. I usually end up looking for a used option, but even those are often hard to find.

Most recently, I bought a damaged TV stand that I refurbished myself. A couple days earlier, I repaired the toilet. Additionally, I repair my bicycle every 5-10 miles (always keep a wrench and screwdriver on me). I admit, that might be getting a bit excessive (the brakes keep coming off), but it's working out just fine, gives me an excuse to stretch. Generally, when I don't have to use ramps or a lift (because I have no place I'm allowed to do so at the moment), I do most of the car repairs. It's a lot better than paying shop labor rates and FAR better than replacing the car. One of my door mirrors was loose, and a new one would have cost around $100. Turns out, a bit of Gorilla Glue actually improved it. Also, electronic repairs are pretty common for me.
rjraaz
I can repair anything except human being. Very Happy

Sorry, jokes apart. I always try to repair things first at myself. After wasting a long time to repair some sort of things I decide that to get repair those by some professional.

And ofcourse it cost more than before.
grofet
I repair my old mobile phone to save money. I like my old made in china mobile phone without any modern operating system run on it. I know that the price of new android smartphone are not expensive anymore. The price of new smartphone made in china with jelly bean android only for about USD $ 50 in my country. Sometimes i want to buy the new smartphone with new android mobile operating system. But i need to save money for another important stuff. It's already about 5 years since i bought the old made in china mobile phone. It's only can run classic java application. But i think it's good enough with opera mini mobile web browser, mig 33 chatting application, the holy quran java application, and bunch of classic java games. Playing games is old java mobile phone is not satisfying than playing games on android smart phone or smart tablet. Maybe someday i will but an android smart phone since i need the social media application to communicate with other people. Wish me luck, thank you very much.
bukaida
I have repaired ( replaced) a few of my electrical switches this week by myself. Any problem regarding my old PC (HW/SW) is repaired by myself only.
mshafiq
I repaired this week my self printer,and i installed security system in my house and fix few computers.
I opened my printer fully and separate each and every parts because from few days it is not printing good and giving me hard time.After opening the printer i knew the problem and then i try to fix the parts in same way as they before.so i did and now it is printing excellent more good then before.
Blaster
I've repaired a lot at work to save a little money. Nothing ever major though. Same with in everyday life. Sometimes the repair is actually easier than fixing the problem by just spending money.

I've repaired several tires. A 5 dollar patch kit and 10 minutes of your time can save you the cost of a brand new tire. Sadly today the sidewall of my tire decided it needed to blow so with less than 10,000 miles on it its done...
Josso
I've been keeping a monitor which has has faulty switches alive for over a year using an early 20th century wooden clamp. The irony is not lost on me
playfungames
I repaired a U.P.S. for my desktop computer to save me some cash. The cost of a new UPS would have probably been around 30$. But I thought why spend money on a new one, when I could try to repair the old one.

So, I went out there, shopped for a battery and then replaced the one inside my UPS. It was quite a simple process. I just had to open up a few screws, some were really stuck. Then take out the old battery and put in the new one. Then I had to put everything in place again. Everything went according to plan and I had myself a working UPS again.

The new battery just cost me around $9 and so I saved myself $21.
BigGeek
Right now I'm putting a used engine in my 1999 Pontiac Grand Am, the old one had 322K miles on it, and the used one only has 111K miles on it. Typically a job like this costs around $1,200 to $2,000 to have done at a shop. I have managed to get the whole thing done along with motor mounts, plugs, plug wires, air filter, and all change over from the old motor, for about $800 so a substantial savings.

Hard part came in with the used motor being a 2003, model year for my car ran from 1999 to 2005, however 1999 seems to be a unique year in the run, so I ended up taking ever single sensor and electronic component off my old engine and installing it on the 2003 engine.

Should have it done and ready to fire off in the next few days. Hope it was worth my time!!!
deanhills
BigGeek wrote:
Right now I'm putting a used engine in my 1999 Pontiac Grand Am, the old one had 322K miles on it, and the used one only has 111K miles on it. Typically a job like this costs around $1,200 to $2,000 to have done at a shop. I have managed to get the whole thing done along with motor mounts, plugs, plug wires, air filter, and all change over from the old motor, for about $800 so a substantial savings.

Hard part came in with the used motor being a 2003, model year for my car ran from 1999 to 2005, however 1999 seems to be a unique year in the run, so I ended up taking ever single sensor and electronic component off my old engine and installing it on the 2003 engine.

Should have it done and ready to fire off in the next few days. Hope it was worth my time!!!
Great one! If possible would be great to see a photo of the final job. Razz
DesquisiadoMoral
I tried to repair my laptop Rolling Eyes but I was get very confused. Razz when I assemble all remain 2 screws. so I take to a computer repairer Laughing
BigGeek
deanhills wrote:
BigGeek wrote:

Great one! If possible would be great to see a photo of the final job. Razz

I'll try and take a photo of the engine in the car, but the problem is at this point is that it is all past as of Saturday morning. Got the last of it hooked up, filled it with antifreeze and oil, along with a new filter. Turned it on, let the fuel pump pressurize, checked for fuel leaks, none, so I fired it up. Let it run until the thermostat opened up, topped off and bled out the cooling system and away I went. Took it for a 1.5 mile test drive, brought it back and put it up and checked for leaks, none, bled the cooling system once more time and topped it off, and I've been driving since Saturday.

Runs pretty good, Juan in Commerce City Colorado, who advertised the engine on Craig's list for $500.00 sold me a good engine.

I'll change it over to synthetic oil after 500 miles and hopefully it will run for a while. Wink
sysna
i have repaired many things this year, i repaired my laptop which its fan was dead. but the biggest saving for me was because of repairing my car. the cooling system in my car was not working and i was not familiar with these type of repairs but with help of youtube i started to check things and the repair took me around 2 days but i saved around 150$ which is good Very Happy
harrer
Hmm...
right off the bat I remember fixing a broken calculator, an old telephone, a tv and an old laptop.
loveandormoney
The computer.
We put win out and put Linux hin
now there are no problems any more in the computer.
And it is cheaper because Linux is free.
jajarvin
Textile Adhesive is a good repair tool.
I fixed the clothes, which have had small tears.
In this way, I have not had to purchase new clothes.
coolclay
I don't mean to boast but I've repaired just about everything there is to repair. I share the frustration of this disposable society we live in. Luckily fix-it people are not a dieing breed and while businesses that fix things may be in the decline (accept where I live) they still exist.

In Gloucester (where I live currently) we have multiple small engine repairs shops, an electronic repair shop, a power tool repair shop, a show repair shop, and a few carpentry shops.

I might as well try and list everything I've repaired just for fun.

Many vehicles
Many computers
Many small electronics, and power tools
Probably every household appliance, faucet, toilets etc.
raaeft1
I have got the toaster repaired to save money. A new one is very expensive. I also get my car repaired instead of going in for a new one.
johans
i repaired workstation and other computers and i also do website repair and maintenance.
rjraaz
I always try to repair all the things that I can.
Very recent I fixed my 3G Wi-Fi Router by changing one of its RJ-45 jack.
skon88
i have repaired my laptop, generator, dining table ec this month to save cash... it was really helpful.
sudipbanerjee
I have tried to repair computer and book binding not only to save money but also for my interest.
mshafiq
I am electronic person and i can repair almost every thing in my house. I have keen interest in almost every kind of stuff. i have ability/confidence to repair most of things. Most of the time i am saving money.
deanhills
Two days ago I fixed a shoe strap fold over hook with glue. Didn't think the glue would take as it was patent leather, but the glue worked as it said it would. My next option would have been to take it to a repair shop. Let's see how long it lasts. They're my favourite shoes. Wink
Insanity
I've repaired my computer multiple times because it seems to break so often. Usually it's an easily solved problem with the software which requires some easy fixes. However, sometimes it's a hardware problem and I have to buy new hardware in order to fix it. But I think I have learned how to fix my own computer problems because I have spent so much time building my computer. I think if you learn how to build your own computer in your free time, you can have a much better understanding of how your computer works, how it breaks, and what you need to do to fix it. You can save yourself so much money by not going to the computer repair place.
dan_l2
My computer, more then once.
lol
spinout
Insead of buyin a new mainboard for my volvo I let an electric company repair it instead - only 25 % of the cost...
BigGeek
Yesterday - Friend of mine has a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire it had an exhaust leak, figured out that the collector on the catalytic converter had broken off at the weld seam. Put it up, unbolted the exhaust from the manifold and two flanges and hanger bolts and pulled it out from under the car in two pieces. Lined them up and welded it back together (I have a wire feed welder in my home garage). Put it back under the car bolted it up and leak was fixed.

The pipe that was broken had 3 catalytic converters in it and cost $300.00 US. Cost of my repair - nothing - my friend bought me a six pack of beer and worked with me for 2 hours to do the repair.

That is why I have a welder Very Happy
mshafiq
Since few days I am repairing my garage and garage door opener. I repaired in my backyard the wooden boundary. Daily i am fixing different thing because I am handy man.
alfredolx
ive repaired my camera crane, my tripod, my computer,
even my fridge, this one getting instruction from youtube Cool

well, anything that seems not to hard, ill do it by myself
spinout
I am up for fixing 2 clocks (vintage), hoping for mounting cheap clockworks and have them working soon
mshafiq
I can fix any things, I am not going any where for services.
Last time my car door window mirror was not working. I tried hard to understand the issues and then i tried to open the whole stuff and recognized the problem and order the part for that and fix the car window mirror.
I fixed my kitchen sink as it was leaking and also bathroom sink.
I always try my best to understand the problem and solve the problem.
tonberry
Since my country was under Russian ocupation for many decades, even after we got our independence back it took some time before life standards rose to a decent level, even though they were rising very fast.

Because of that, everyone had to fend for themselves. Nobody had money to pay electricians to fix the cables, plumbers to unclog the pipes, not to mention gardeners etc. so out of necessity, people have learned how to make things work. This had bred enterprising and resourceful people but one side effect of it was that even after those generations started making more money, they still did everything by themselves. Even when it was a waste of money (in that time they could use their skills to make more money than they are saving on electricians etc.).

Now is much worse though, children these days can barely wipe their own asses and at the same time they demand and expect more from life, even though they are less qualified to have those expectations!