FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Snow, Snow, Snow, and even some more Snow

Blaster
So if you're anywhere near me you'll know that it is currently snowing. This is added on from the snow we've been hit with earlier in January. We usually get about 6-10 inches a season. So far this is the 4th or 5th major storm. This is the most snow I can remember in my time for my area. There is no sign of it slowing down this month either. We keep getting record breaking snow falls.

All of this came after a summer where there was more rain fall than any summer in recorded history. Hopefully we have a nice hot summer approaching us with just enough rain as to not instill a drought.
watersoul
Sounds harsh man!
Still rain, rain, and more rain for me here on the SW coast of England, but I'll take that over your snow storms any day Shocked
Stay safe.
Blaster
Will do. The canceled class for me today which kind of sucks considering I only go once a week and would just like to go and not face having to stay later next week.
watersoul
It's those sort of disruptions that are the problems with snow and ice, even in prepared places.
The UK struggles with the lightest snow because we get it so rarely and preparation budgets are not a very high priority usually.
I know what you mean about missing a single lecture on a night college course. It's like missing a whole week of researching/learning about the subject that particular evening covered.
No Powerpoint/lecture notes the admins can email you to help mitigate the loss of the evening?
Blaster
They did tell us to just keep reading the book but it still sets us a little behind. Especially considering the one class is only supposed to be 7 weeks so now we need to make up the one week.

As for snow budgets we have exceeded ours due to the fact we havn't seen snow like this in a long time.
watersoul
I know snow, snow, and even more snow sucks for the reasons above, but have you got any pics you want to upload here? Would love to see them, but then everyone loves a snow pic when they don't have to put up with it themselves!
Also be really interesting to see the bad-arsed snow you want rid of though, I'm guessing it's nothing I've ever seen in my parts of the UK Shocked
standready
Well Blaster, I got another 6 inches this last Saturday and another 6-8 predicted for Tuesday/Wednesday. I will take the snow over drought conditions out west. Snow is getting boring though.
@watersoul: I have posted many snow pictures just not this year. laugh
watersoul
@standready, I've loved your snow pics over the years, really liked your Autumn fallen leaves pics a few months ago...was glad I didn't have that hard work going on in my yard although was jealous of your Winter nut store! Wink

Didn't know about drought conditions in the West, guess it demonstrates how massive the US mainland really is.
deanhills
I remember those snow pictures too Stand. Really enjoyed them. Very Happy
Ankhanu
Welcome to the Canadian experience Wink

Here's a shot I took earlier while trying to find a coyote on a mountain plateau:
watersoul
Excellent pic, thanks for sharing it Ankh Smile
Are those sort of horizontal icicle things caused by the wind? Never seen anything like that here in rainy SW England.
deanhills
WOW! That is a GREAT photo Ankhanu. How did the snow come out that way? What trees are those? Amazing atmosphere in the photo as well.
Ankhanu
watersoul wrote:
Excellent pic, thanks for sharing it Ankh Smile
Are those sort of horizontal icicle things caused by the wind? Never seen anything like that here in rainy SW England.

deanhills wrote:
WOW! That is a GREAT photo Ankhanu. How did the snow come out that way? What trees are those? Amazing atmosphere in the photo as well.

Yeah, that's caused by the wind... though I'm not exactly certain how. I don't think it's exactly from falling snow, it doesn't tend to form branching crystal patterns, rather it cakes on in lumpy sheets. My guess is that it's from a combination of some falling snow along with really high humidity; likely a warm day followed by a suddenly cold night... some of the snow evaporated, then the air couldn't hold it as the temp dropped and the wind picked up making it form horizontally.

The trees are dead-standing black spruce (Picea mariana), white spruce (P. glauca) and balsam fir (Abies balsamea) that were killed 30-35 years ago in a spruce budworm (Choristneura fumiferana) outbreak. Just dead stems bleached by the wind, sun and rain.
standready
watersoul wrote:
although was jealous of your Winter nut store! Wink

I have a nice supply for winter. Squirrels are not happy. Loads of fun opening those nuts and eating.

Fantastic picture, Ankhanu!
Blaster
My back yard after just 1 of the storms

My drive to work

My baby in the snow

Can't forget the milk when it snows either
Ankhanu
That's a healthy bit of snow, Blaster. Certainly a good all for a region not used to it; I'm never happy to look out and see my cars like that.
Jan19 -
spinout
cool pictures....!!! our snow just melts, the next days too are in the positive celcius. Ok for a house owner, less heating costs...
Nyasro
Wonderful pics , i liked them all Smile
playfungames
Wow, looks like the snow out there is giving a lot of problems. I see videos on the internet which shows that snow is the cause of accidents and other road problems. I see pictures stating that schools are getting shut down due to snow.

In the part of the world where I live, it is completely different. Here it never snows, probably because of the location. So, during the winters, when it rains, the next day people go to the nearest tall hill to play with snow.
Blaster
Its not really that big of a deal for us where I am at. Go a little south and they freak at the first sign of snow.

Cleaning off the car is the worst too. You can never get it all.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
Its not really that big of a deal for us where I am at. Go a little south and they freak at the first sign of snow.

Cleaning off the car is the worst too. You can never get it all.
It's the difference between east and west in Canada. People from the east laugh at Vancouver, BC when the airport is unable to deal with cleanups and planes get stranded after one of its rare freak snow storms.
markharris
i love snow, its so interesting thing.
Blaster
The reason we are freaking out is salt shipments are running low in some areas and local governments are without salt.
deanhills
Haha .... forgot about that crunchy salt on the pavements. And the salt marks on my boots.
codegeek
I would like to see some snow. Though perhaps not as much as you. Very Happy

It doesn't snow where I live. We have to travel a few hours to get to places that do have snow. I've so far been too busy, or too lazy, to make the required journey. Some day maybe I'll get around to it. Laughing
watersoul
codegeek wrote:
We have to travel a few hours to get to places that do have snow.

I have to leave my country to guarantee snow...it's why the UK is not very successful in any Winter Olympics Razz
Blaster
In case anyone is keeping track we got another 3 inches tonight. Any more this little stuff is a joke. Last year this would freak people out.
Blaster
Just to keep everyone up to date its snowing again... I don't live in an area that is like this normally
deanhills
Sort of nippy in the air here in the UAE, but nice. Probably need to embrace this kind of weather before the start of the host season in March.
Ankhanu
-23.5 when I left the house at 6am today... was up to -6 while I was up on the mountain working though.

We're supposed to get about 10-15cm tonight, changing to freezing rain, then rain, with winds gusting up to 150kmh overnight. Doesn't matter much, though, as tomorrow's gonna be 11 and raining, so all the snow will melt away.
deanhills
Didn't realize how really bad it is in North America with the snow. Found this great photo at NBCNews site. It's a woman crossing a street in Washington DC yesterday (Thursday). Looks like an enormous challenge.

This one also looks interesting. Waking up on a Thursday morning wondering whether to go to work. Photo was taken in Owing Mills, Maryland:

chasbeen
There's my mates in Canada telling me they never seen so much snow an cold

I left they behind a couple years back

I read all entries above. I live in the UK now and this is one waterlogged place
and it's the way the Big snow and cold of North America manifests itself in Europe.

Thing is I can't see some parts of the country drying out for weeks,

If you live in the waterlogged areas it will feel like forever,
deanhills
chasbeen wrote:

If you live in the waterlogged areas it will feel like forever,
True. Like in Vancouver. I remember one year when it had been raining (that pissy drizzly stuff) incessantly since November and it was still raining up to April. I took out the McNally map and visualized myself in New Mexico, just to warm things up. It did feel like forever.
Blaster
Those images you posted Dean are pretty close to my area. The snow is about 2 feet deep right now and we are slated to get even more tonight... Go figure another 4-6 inches coming our way. I'm waiting for the rain to just start melting some of the snow. Its begging to be a challenge with where you can put the snow. The streets where cars normally parked are getting backed up. Thankfully I have a truck and packed down the snow before it froze so I can park on top of that. Other people are not as lucky. Not to mention the ice that is created on the roads is really dangerous.

This helps me think of brighter days

And you know its bad when its 28 and sunny and you are enjoying being outside...
deanhills
I was wondering how it was going down in your area Blaster. Quite intense weather wise. So now I know.

Was totally bowled over what is happening with the Thames in London. Saw a live broadcast yesterday (I'm on leave in South Africa and had plenty of time to watch details on SkyNews yesterday including lengthy interviews). We probably need to start a thread on "Floods, floods, floods and more floods". Seriously though, the economic damage must be horrendous to the UK. Reminds me of a movie that totally bowled me over - 2007 - about a flooding involving the Thames - called Flood.

When I have time tomorrow I may start a thread on that.
Ankhanu
Here's a shot I took up on one of the mountains after that rain we had Friday
GuidanceReader
I've never seen snow. It would be interesting if it Snowed here (Perth, W.Aus) next winter, with all the seasonal extremities lately.
Blaster
Nice picture Ankhanu. We got another 3-5 inches last night looks like its already starting to melt but its not really noticeable

Dean with the warmer weathers expected this week flooding may be a big problem in my area. Not to mention all of the sewers are covered over by snow so the water will have no where to go and I think its going to get below freezing at night which would pretty much mean more ice and more salt on the roads...
standready
We got about 6 inches yesterday and in the late afternoon I heard a strange noise outside. I went out to find this creature handling my snow!
Blaster
Snow blowers are a great thing when it snows this much. Plus side for us it was about 45 degrees out today so thats always a good thing. Waiting for the snow to dissapear now.
Blaster
For anyone keeping track it got to the upper 40's today and the snow has started to melt although its hard to tell any difference. On a plus side I finally got my truck washed. It was black under all the salt... who would have thought
Blaster
Alrighty storm number too many is here. So far just rain but they are predicting it to be between 4-10 inches here. Went down from 6-12. Has been raining since about 2 this afternoon. The temps havn't yet dropped to below freezing although they are predicting a low of 5 tomorrow.
standready
Blaster wrote:
Alrighty storm number too many is here. So far just rain but they are predicting it to be between 4-10 inches here. Went down from 6-12. Has been raining since about 2 this afternoon. The temps havn't yet dropped to below freezing although they are predicting a low of 5 tomorrow.

I was lucky that storm went south of me. Did get 2 inches of fluffy white stuff though. We might get above freezing on Thursday.
Blaster
Storm ending up going south of us too. We got about 2 or 3 inches today. Enough for them to prematurely close all the schools though.
standready
Thought we were sort done with the snow as temperature had finally risen up enough to start melting the snow away. Most of the snow was gone except for where it had been piled up until last night we got 4-6 inches of the stuff. This time the snow is heavy, wet variety but after shoveling I am too tired to make a 'snowman'.
deanhills
Very inclement weather in the Middle East. Dust storms every where with very little visibility. Before that we experienced a "heat wave". End of winter for sure. Has been raining in patches, but not where I live.
Pippo90
Here it's Sunny, Sunny, Sunny, and even more Sunny! LOL Cool
Blaster
standready wrote:
Thought we were sort done with the snow as temperature had finally risen up enough to start melting the snow away. Most of the snow was gone except for where it had been piled up until last night we got 4-6 inches of the stuff. This time the snow is heavy, wet variety but after shoveling I am too tired to make a 'snowman'.

It was in the 60's here yesterday and today it was in the mid 20's with high winds. Didn't get snow but it rained last night. We got what you got just without the snow. They are forecasting 3-5 for us this weekend though. Not looking forward to that.
Blaster
Another 4 inches today... Hopefully this is the last of the season. Most of it has melted away by now thankfully