FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

E-Mail Forwarder for Any Alias

Pippo90
In Frihost cPanel, is there the possibility to set up a rule such that all the emails to my domain are forwarded to a certain account, regardless of the alias used?

EDIT:

I tried to set up a Forwarder with the alias * (which is how you set up a general rule e.g. in Gmail), but it doesn't work, i.e. it doesn't catch all emails sent to my domain (with addresses anyalias@mydomain.com). Crying or Very sad
deanhills
I thought all new accounts came with DirectAdmin?

Here is a cPanel tutorial on how to create mail forwarders. Maybe you could just check through it briefly to verify how it works in cpanel.
http://www.cpanel.net/media/tutorials/forwarders.htm

I tested it for myself in my Frihost cpanel. I created a domain e-mail address. And then used one of my hotmail accounts as a forwarding address. The post was received almost instantly by the forwarding address, except it went to my junk mail. Did you check whether it could have gone to your junk mail when you made your test?
Pippo90
deanhills wrote:
I thought all new accounts came with DirectAdmin?

Here is a cPanel tutorial on how to create mail forwarders. Maybe you could just check through it briefly to verify how it works in cpanel.
http://www.cpanel.net/media/tutorials/forwarders.htm

I tested it for myself in my Frihost cpanel. I created a domain e-mail address. And then used one of my hotmail accounts as a forwarding address. The post was received almost instantly by the forwarding address, except it went to my junk mail. Did you check whether it could have gone to your junk mail when you made your test?

Thanks for your answer, but actually I am able to create single forwarding aliases for my domain.

What I would like to do is to create a single rule for all possible aliases. Now I am obliged to create forwarding rules like mail@mydomain.com, but, if somebody sends an email to a not specified alias, the delivery obviously fails. However, some web hosting services enable you to set up a "catch-all" rule so that, even with an absurd alias like qwerty@mydomain.com, the forwarding works. This is what I'd like to do in the Forwarder section of Frihost DirectAdmin. Wink
deanhills
Aha .... got it. Back to the drawing board. Very Happy

Did you try the "Default E-Mail Account" option in cPanel? I tried it and it worked perfectly as well. Went to the junk mail again. But probably is junk mail. Razz

Pippo90
deanhills wrote:
OK, back to the drawing board. There is an option to do that in cpanel which is the "Default E-Mail Account" option.

It worked for me. Went to the junk mail again. But probably is junk mail. Razz

Thank you very much! You were very helpful.

Unluckily, my website is currently hosted in Frihost Server 4, where the control panel is DirectAdmin. In my ignorance, I thought cPanel was the generic term for "control panel", and this is why I wrote it in my first message. Rolling Eyes However, as you correctly noticed, being a relatively new user I am actually hosted with DirectAdmin, where this option seems to lack.

Do you know if it is possible for me to change my Frihost Server to 1?
johans
I have been configure it in direct admin and my email forward to gmail and it goes perfectly. However, i think are some problems right now when it comes to email forward some of my mails did not take the effect in forward.
deanhills
@Pippo. Have you tried the "Setting a Catch-All Address" option as explained in the DirectAdmin tutorial below?

http://www.site-helper.com/email.html

Looks as though that comes in addition to the forwarders.

sonam
Quote:
Do you know if it is possible for me to change my Frihost Server to 1?

I don't think so. How I know few members before ask the same question but they didn't get positive answer.

Sonam
zimmer
deanhills wrote:
@Pippo. Have you tried the "Setting a Catch-All Address" option as explained in the DirectAdmin tutorial below?

http://www.site-helper.com/email.html

Looks as though that comes in addition to the forwarders.

thank you for that effort deanhills to things clarify for those who need this kind of information.

I really appropriate those members on the forum to made actual screenshot for the support. You guys are the best supportive even you dont have monetary benefits on it.

Just the benefits of others are really guys appreciated.
sysna
as dean said the "catch-all" is the key to do that thing with emails that do not exists.
Pippo90
Thank you very much for your replies, and sorry for my late answer.

@deanhills, you are right about the Catch-All address: I would have done the same, but this functionality has been disabled by Frihost administrators, and it does not appear in DirectAdmin menu. I found a discussion (from 2009!) explaining the motives of this choice here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-111299.html Basically, they didn't want spam.
sysna
yes it is disabled here, because spam flood for each domain in a shared host can cause a serious overhead for server.

you can use some regular names like "webmaster" , "info" , ... to make some forwarders if you worry about loosing any important email but anyway if you put an email in your website for users to contact you using it then i don't think you loose any important email.
sonam
sysna wrote:
yes it is disabled here, because spam flood for each domain in a shared host can cause a serious overhead for server.

you can use some regular names like "webmaster" , "info" , ... to make some forwarders if you worry about loosing any important email but anyway if you put an email in your website for users to contact you using it then i don't think you loose any important email.

I am agree with sysna. It is better to have control about any e-mail what is coming in your inbox and then forward them on some other mail address. Otherwise anyone who send mail on your whatever @ youraccount.frih.com mail can spam you and overhead server.

Something what is important for you is also important for sender. Everyone who have important mail for you will find your correct e-mail address on your site and will carefully type it before sending any mail. Smile

Sonam
Pippo90
sonam wrote:
sysna wrote:

I am agree with sysna. It is better to have control about any e-mail what is coming in your inbox and then forward them on some other mail address. Otherwise anyone who send mail on your whatever @ youraccount.frih.com mail can spam you and overhead server.

Something what is important for you is also important for sender. Everyone who have important mail for you will find your correct e-mail address on your site and will carefully type it before sending any mail. Smile

Sonam

I guess you're right. At the end I solved this problem by inserting a form in my website.
Peterssidan
I don't use the Frihost mail any longer because it's not trusted by the popular online email services. Yahoo has blocked Frihost mail for ages. Gmail works if you are lucky but the email can sometimes arrive days later. Not sure if all servers have this problem.