FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

any free ssl certificate options?

MrBrumm
Are there any free sll certificate options for webpages/ domains available from any of the certificate authorities that are recognized by the "standard" browsers?
badai
first you need to learn how to find the right keyword to google. only then you can learn more complicated stuffs.

seriously, if you got to ask, don't bother. free SSL are complicated to setup. if you messed up... this is from one of the free SSL provider:

Quote:
Never delete any files received from StartSSL™ but back them up securely. Never delete the pending request (at IIS). Try to find the answer in the next questions below. Check if the "Tool Box" from the StartSSL™ Control Panel has a tool to solve your problem. If all fails, contact the CertMaster and describe your problem in detail.

try "free recognized ssl certificate".

honestly "cheapest recognized ssl certificate" would be better.
zacky
If your running on a cloud, VPN, or related, you can create fake SSL Certificate although I think most of the web browser will alarm the visitor as SSL cannot verify.

I wonder why you need free SSL Certificate especially if you will use it for profitable website.
zimmer
I am not sure if there are free SSL.

SSL as far as i know is paid since you need to register your domain name and validate your site address with valid name and valid email address..

If someone use free i am happy if they share here. Very Happy
badai
zacky: there is no such thing as fake cert. all certs are real. if you mean fake is the one that popular browsers do not recognize, then you just use the wrong term. it's not "fake", it just "not being recognized by most popular browsers". maybe you mean something like self signed, self created ssl? still, it's not fake.

also, ssl not necessarily for profit. it's to secure all transmission between server and your browser, just like password protected wifi access point. some people do need it and at the same time can't really afford it, that is why some guys come out with free ssl and they do get recognized by most popular browser.

zimmer: try the keyword that I gave. it works, really. there are free SSL certs out there.
zacky
badai wrote:
zacky: there is no such thing as fake cert. all certs are real. if you mean fake is the one that popular browsers do not recognize, then you just use the wrong term. it's not "fake", it just "not being recognized by most popular browsers". maybe you mean something like self signed, self created ssl? still, it's not fake.

also, ssl not necessarily for profit. it's to secure all transmission between server and your browser, just like password protected wifi access point. some people do need it and at the same time can't really afford it, that is why some guys come out with free ssl and they do get recognized by most popular browser.

zimmer: try the keyword that I gave. it works, really. there are free SSL certs out there.

Okay thanks for the corrections and with your explanations.
Simonjw
Hi there mate,

This is a very good question and I asked it in Google countless times and I had finally found a solution after months of digging.

I am by no means affiliated with this company, but I do believe it is what you are looking for and is a good option for you if you wish to have a free basic ssl certificate for whatever reason you need it. The company is called StartCom and are very reliable although you may have some difficulties when trying to set your certificate up if you are a novice.

You can find their website here as well as sign up there and start getting your free SSL certificate rolling. https://www.startssl.com/ I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and please leave some feedback if this has helped you and if you need any help.

Cheers
RosenCruz
This week Namecheap is doing a $1.99 sale for positive SSL's. Check their web site if it is still valid. Arrow
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
This week Namecheap is doing a $1.99 sale for positive SSL's. Check their web site if it is still valid. Arrow
Do you have a link as I get 7.99 USD. Must be a special page? Tried to get Namecheap up as well, don't know what is going on with it as it is hanging.
RosenCruz
deanhills wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:
Do you have a link as I get 7.99 USD. Must be a special page? Tried to get Namecheap up as well, don't know what is going on with it as it is hanging.

https://www.namecheap.com/campaigns/2014/reset-the-net.aspx
Simonjw
k_s_baskar
You need vps or hosting account with dedicated ip to use any ssl certificate.
RosenCruz
Comodo has a 3month SSL certificate trial option. Guys looking for free SSL can check it out
Simonjw
So this is an excellent topic and normally you would be shying away from free options, but there is something really amazing that happened from a few of the Robin Hoods of the internet and it has exploded even more.

Say hello to open and free SSL Certificates, you never have to pay again and you can make 100% profit from your clients if you really want. I have been part of the testing since day one and can tell you they work 100% flawlessly, plus all the big names backing it should say otherwise.

head on over to https://letsencrypt.org and see the wonders.

Keep in mind it does have a learning curve on how to use these certificates and they only last 90 days, so you have to be on top of it.

Cheers,
Si
deanhills
Simonjw wrote:

Keep in mind it does have a learning curve on how to use these certificates and they only last 90 days, so you have to be on top of it.

Cheers,
Si
The learning curve bothers me. So does the 90 days. I'd far rather cough up for a legitimate SSL certificate than to look over my shoulder every 90 days.
Simonjw
deanhills wrote:
Simonjw wrote:

Cheers,
Si
The learning curve bothers me. So does the 90 days. I'd far rather cough up for a legitimate SSL certificate than to look over my shoulder every 90 days.

I feel you, but really LetsEncypt is the new way forward and it is going to be changing the SSL industry a lot. LetsEncrypt SSL's are completely legitimate, they are backed by some of the worlds biggest players and again some big players have already started using them.

It's not a massive learning curve if you know anything about server side operations etc. For me setting them up is a breeze, but for someone else with little knowledge, it will take longer.

The 90 day life span of the certificates is there for security and peace of mind for the users of it. Go onto the website and read/learn about LetsEncrypt, I guarantee you will start using them once you've read through everything.

You will then have the money you'd usually spend to do something else with it. And seriously the 90 days isn't bad at all because it takes a few seconds to renew and it is just like the normal server maintenance you SHOULD be doing anyway.

Cheers
deanhills
Cheers Simonjw. You're right of course. And I have seen at other Forums trends like these. If you know what you're doing it can only be a good thing. If you don't, it's probably better to invest in a really good SSL certificate. Particularly if one is in a serious ecommerce site and security for transactions is essential.
Simonjw
deanhills wrote:
Cheers Simonjw. You're right of course. And I have seen at other Forums trends like these. If you know what you're doing it can only be a good thing. If you don't, it's probably better to invest in a really good SSL certificate. Particularly if one is in a serious ecommerce site and security for transactions is essential.

I think in this case, whether you know what you are doing or not, it would be best practice for you to actually learn about the security layer between your site and your visitors. It would in turn give you a greater depth of insight into your operations back end and how you are keeping your users safe. Loads of tutorials and I am available to teach people to use Lets Encrypt.

As for security in Ecommerce: Target, Walmart and Amazon are already using Lets Encrypt certificates and they love it. I built a script for my own websites to be renewed automatically before the 90th day and it works like a charm, however I still check it out on the 85th and 90th day.

Another plus to SSL Certs is that people feel a heck of a lot more safer, so I suggest even if your website doesn't need, you should use it. I have and it has improved my rankings and visitors staying and being on the website a lot more.

If there is anything else you want to know, just shout and I'll give you the information you need.

Cheers,
Si
playfungames
I use the free SSL feature provided by CloudFlare. If you haven't heard about CloudFlare, then it is a free way to speed up your website. Cloudflare has these data centers or hosts all over the globe and it allows you to point your dns there so that your website is served faster across the globe. I believe that a large number of websites already use it and Cloudflare must be one of the top services which is answering to dns requests globally.

Anways, there are paid and free options in this CDN provider. I chose the free option because well I am a Frihoster (hehe). Anyways, they introduced the free SSL protection for all the domains that are using their CDN. You can just turn it on and start using the https:// address for your domains.

But it was kind of tricky to turn it on for the first time in my WordPress powered website. I had to actually solve some errors which were redirecting my visitors indefinitely. But after solving it I freely used https:// for one of my domains and offered a secure or private connection for my website visitors and my website. It's pretty cool actually.
Simonjw
playfungames wrote:
I use the free SSL feature provided by CloudFlare. If you haven't heard about CloudFlare, then it is a free way to speed up your website. Cloudflare has these data centers or hosts all over the globe and it allows you to point your dns there so that your website is served faster across the globe. I believe that a large number of websites already use it and Cloudflare must be one of the top services which is answering to dns requests globally.

Anways, there are paid and free options in this CDN provider. I chose the free option because well I am a Frihoster (hehe). Anyways, they introduced the free SSL protection for all the domains that are using their CDN. You can just turn it on and start using the https:// address for your domains.

But it was kind of tricky to turn it on for the first time in my WordPress powered website. I had to actually solve some errors which were redirecting my visitors indefinitely. But after solving it I freely used https:// for one of my domains and offered a secure or private connection for my website visitors and my website. It's pretty cool actually.

Really good point mate and I totally agree with you that it is a great service. However, it also has it's low points and from the SSL side it is limited. You should keep your SSL close to you or even with another trusted SSL service. That is my experience.

As for Lets Encrypt, I have found it is the best way so far now. There is another company that supplies SSL certificates for free and has for years, but it is a huge mission to get them running. This company is called StartSSL. I used them for years and now obviously have moved over.

The SSL from CloudFlare also doesn't work exactly like an SSL that is on your server due to the fact it isn't set up on your server. There will be a way to spoof it which will be a lot easier due to the cloudflare loop etc.

Cheers,
Si