FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Does anyone else enjoy building their own computers? I've ju

zinal1
Does anyone else enjoy building their own computers? I've just started to build my own, and I think it's a lot of fun researching everything and finding good deals for everything. It's also so nice to build something by yourself and having it as an achievement.
Possum
I sort of Do.. I keep all my computers up and running.. But will certainly be buying one of these and building my own when its on the market.. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/do-it-yourself/edison.html
badai
no matter how much you enjoy it, it can only be done once in few years. the most is once a year.

too bad isn't it?
tonberry
Unless you work for a company that sells PC, in which case after few months the love must surely be gone Smile

I always loved to choose computer parts - in a primary school me and my childhood friends used to chew through leaflets and choose the best parts for THE ULTIMATE PC!!! The emotions stuck, each time I buy or upgrade, I still feel like a kid in a candy store when I do this.

The only problem that I always have is with price. For some reason, when I choose one component, there is slightly more expensive one that is much more powerful, hence worth the money. And then another. And then another. And then the final price is twice as much as the maximum I promised myself I will spend Smile Either the PC product pallette is really well thought through, or I'm just plain weak.
jajarvin
I build my first own PC a long time ago.
It was an easy job.

Since then, I've put together a couple of other PC.
It might be high time to once again put together a new PC.
skofolo
It is painful job. I do it every 4-7 years when I need to buy something new. When I make my computer I just do not learn anything new until I must buy new one, so I'm surprised about new advances when I start to prepare for incoming purchase. I hate it, I must buy PC for editing full HD video, but so far it is too expensive for me, so I will wait one more year.
skofolo
Easiest job was when I got my ZX Spectrum, and buying Amiga was not so big trouble...
Possum
Quote:
Easiest job was when I got my ZX Spectrum, and buying Amiga was not so big trouble...

Those were the days...
moncong
i do agree..
my first build computer and was my best feel ever.. Very Happy
Insanity
I've built my own computer before, and I think it's a great learning experience. You get to learn about what parts make up a computer, how to research for the best bang for your buck (which also requires learning why certain brands are better than others, and why getting a good PSU is one of the most important things you'll do), and talking with people who are knowledgable about the subject. It's a great hands on experienc ebecause you build everything yourself. If something breaks in the future, you now have a better idea of how to fix it because you kind of know how the whole thing works since you put it together.
BigGeek
I prefer to build my own PC's and suggest others do the same or have someone that knows how do it for them. I suggest this as a must for those in business for themselves that rely on their computer for daily work in their business. Here is why I suggest building your own!

Dell, Gateway, Lenovo, and the rest of the big name manufacturers build proprietary hardware. What that means in short is that if a standard component fails like a power supply you have to get the replacement from Dell, or your manufacturer, sometimes this can take days, and cost considerably more than a generic part.

I say build a generic ATX box for your home business, this way if a standard component fails you run down to your local Best Buy or Micro Center, grab a generic ATX part off the shelf, go home, install it in the computer and you are up and running again.

If a Dell, or HP part fails you have to call them, wait on hold, confirm any warranty status, order and pay for the part and then wait days for shipping unless you pay the charge for next day shipping.

Building your own is a must for home and small businesses, IMO Cool
AtifJamalAnsari
zinal1 wrote:
Does anyone else enjoy building their own computers? I've just started to build my own, and I think it's a lot of fun researching everything and finding good deals for everything. It's also so nice to build something by yourself and having it as an achievement.

thats what i do its a part of my job but i built pc's for others rather than for myself..
grofet
I don't like building computer. Personally i don't have good skill in electronic means. I just like to buy a branded computer with a good quality. What i like is building the software and the setting of a computer. Maybe someday if i have the skill i may try to build my own computer. For now i have to do a lot of things to stay alive.
Peterssidan
I have never build a computer totally from scratch. A friend's brother helped me build my computer and since then I have replaced a few parts by myself. Now it's not working. I think there is something wrong with the motherboard or processor so I'm thinking about buying a new motherboard, memory and a processor with integrated graphics and reuse the rest (the case, power supply, DVD burner, etc.) but that will be pretty much like building from scratch.

I also have a laptop computer that I have disassembled and put back together.

I kind of enjoy it but I prefer if it's not necessary to replacing parts. I still feel a bit nervous to break things or that things that I order turns out to be incompatible.
Emdena
Even building pc from scratch, the price sometime expensive than prebuilt one.... unless you are working with company building a pc..... Smile
mshafiq
I love to build electronic stuff with my own hand.I am automation engineer and try to do every thing with my hand.Like my printer was not working very well few days before.
What i did i opened each and every thing and found the problem and clean every parts then i fix back.
and it start working 100% perfect and i was so surprised and happy at my this achievement because i was not sure that i will fix it.I just took a risk and opened it.similarly i did many thing like i installed in my home security system and alarm in my own way.I installed in my first car remote starter.I did lot of stuff.One i remembered i made my simple home door to automatic door with alarm.
standready
I used to co-own a computer store. Built custom systems. Would be working on four in different stages of setup at the same time. Those were the days!
Blaster
When I was younger and had free time I used to tinker around with building computers. Even played around with ubuntu for a while. Since I got my mac 4 years ago though I havn't looked back and don't plan to.

I'm talking the days where 512 mb of RAM was good and a 300gb hard drive was unheard of in most computers.
Peterssidan
Peterssidan wrote:
I have never build a computer totally from scratch. A friend's brother helped me build my computer and since then I have replaced a few parts by myself. Now it's not working. I think there is something wrong with the motherboard or processor so I'm thinking about buying a new motherboard, memory and a processor with integrated graphics and reuse the rest (the case, power supply, DVD burner, etc.) but that will be pretty much like building from scratch.

Update:
I bought a FM2-A55M-E33 motherboard, a AMD A4 5300 processor and a Corsair Vengeance 4GB memory so now I have the computer up and running again. The motherboard is a mATX so it was easy to fit inside my full size ATX box. It doesn't have any IDE interface so I can't use my old DVD-burner and floppy station but it's no big deal because I can use USB instead. Now everything withing the box that is actually in use (except for some wires and stuff that came with the box) has been replaced by me. From the outside it looks like the same old computer.
Misuc
many years ago, under the influence of my son, I used to go along to those computer fairs and buy parts and build PCs up 'from scratch' - but now the experts do everything for you and I can't be bothered getting into all that mess again....
Insanity
I don't think you save as much money anymore building your own computer since the manufacturers of the big computers like Dell and HP and Compaq are the ones that get a big discount based on how much of each product they buy from their suppliers. That's not to say that you shouldn't build your own computer, because there are lots of other reasons to do so like learning about how to fix and build your own computer. But the money part isn't as relevant anymore.
Peterssidan
Not sure about the price benefits of buying a new computer in parts but if you already have some parts you can use it can be a lot cheaper because you don't have to buy all the parts. Less wasteful on the environment too.
Pankratios
I built my last desktop 4-5 years ago, i think its time to bring it back and dust off - upgrade ...
Integricall
I love building my own desktops and until recently I worked at a computer shop that builds custom desktops. It is so rewarding after all that time and effort to switch it on, stand back and say "wow, I built that"
playfungames
I would enjoy it if I knew how to. I never got around learning it. I have a desktop that makes a weird noise because of the fan touching its cover. I am not even skilled or interested to fix it.
Pippo90
Yes, I did it once, and found it very enjoyable. Besides, the final result was pretty superb, very performant, and it didn't even remotely cost too much. The problem is that it was not very portable, and with a laptop I could never try to repeat that experience Sad
SpaceInvader75
badai wrote:
no matter how much you enjoy it, it can only be done once in few years. the most is once a year.

too bad isn't it?

I've never technically built my own computer, but on my last new computer, I bought a basic one and upgraded the memory, CPU, Power Supply, and Video Card. I had to send one video card back (and it took forever) so I am a little scared of ordering all the parts individually.

What if my computer doesn't boot? I may have a hard time determining which part is bad. Maybe because I am not at expert level, but still I could do it; I know enough about the parts and how they all work together.

If you really enjoy it more than once a year, you could always buy some cheap used parts and make a second computer for whatever. I've thought about this right now, because my computer is so old and weak, but I would need a copy of Windows, so I'd probably end up paying more than if I just bought a used computer and upgraded whatever I needed. lol
SpaceInvader75
Insanity wrote:
I don't think you save as much money anymore building your own computer since the manufacturers of the big computers like Dell and HP and Compaq are the ones that get a big discount based on how much of each product they buy from their suppliers. That's not to say that you shouldn't build your own computer, because there are lots of other reasons to do so like learning about how to fix and build your own computer. But the money part isn't as relevant anymore.

I'm guessing that the more expensive your system is the more you could potentially save, but I've never spent over $650-700. But my computer that I bought for $400 and then spent $250-$300 upgrading was still cheaper than a comparable system. I haven't really checked this recently, though.
Nyasro
I tried but couldn't succeed Smile