FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is there a solution for being "blacklisted"?

ibraltan1
I can't enter directadmin. Following message appears:
Your IP is blacklisted
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=306

The related page (below) suggests some action that only an administrator is able to do. Unfortunately I have not found a way to communicate Bondings. Is there a solution for this situation?

If you get the message:
Your IP is blacklisted

this means that you've had too many failed login attempts or accesses to port 2222 without being logged in.

To remove yourself from the blacklist, edit:
/usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/ip_blacklist

and remove your IP from the list.

If you wish to ensure you never get blacklisted, you can create and add your IP to the file:
/usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/ip_whitelist

One IP per line.

The setting that controls how many attempts you get can be changed in:
Admin Level -> Admin Settings -> Blacklist IPs for excessive login attempts

We don't usually recommend any value lower than 10. This is because even loading the login page counts as a failed login attempt, so if you set a low number, you'll be more likely to blacklist yourself.

This is the feature page for this option:
http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=573

As for DirectAdmin 1.34.0, you can set DirectAdmin to automatically remove IPs from the blacklist after a specified amount of time. Feature page:
http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=1013
deanhills
You are indeed correct that Bondings or someone with root access is the only one who can fix it.

The only other way is to change your IP. I know of a very good paid VPN service and will see if I can find the name of a free one.

In the meanwhile, why not give TOR a try. It can be a bit slower, but it may just do the trick.
Josso
The blacklist is evidently outdated. Your only option is to use proxy, etc as deanhills suggested or wait for your IP to change (if you have a dynamic address) which I suspect would fix it.

Quote:
Unfortunately I have not found a way to communicate Bondings.

You and everyone on here
Peterssidan
Is it possible to force a change of IP? Restarting the modem, router?
Josso
Peterssidan wrote:
Is it possible to force a change of IP? Restarting the modem, router?

That is a good point. Some ISPs will give you a new IP if you turn your router on and off I think
deanhills
I suspect it could be something like my situation in the UAE where we only have one internet service provider that provides dynamic IPs with very short intervals by world standard. So one gets to share the same IP with quite a large number of spammers. And that may help with getting blacklisted. Point I'm trying to make is if Ibraltan's situation is the same as mine, his alternative IP has a good chance of following the same road to blacklisting. Better to get a proxy.
Bikerman
That is probably the correct diagnosis. ISP leased addresses can easily get onto blacklists and there is little you can do about it. Paying extra for a static IP is one solution but then you need to make sure you set up security properly because it is 'always you' on that address and hackers can take their time.
ibraltan1
Thank you all friends.
Bondings or nobody else authorized responded my demand to do such a small and easy task. It is a pity for a great forum and –I think- the best free hosting service to be in this situation. Let’s hope everything will be OK in the near future.
On the other hand,
Thank you deanhills, I tried TOR, it works. Until somebody decides to throne of Frihost, this program can solve the problem.
Smile
deanhills
ibraltan1 wrote:
Thank you deanhills, I tried TOR, it works. Until somebody decides to throne of Frihost, this program can solve the problem.
Smile
Glad to hear ibraltan. I'm afraid this is your only choice, and not only with Frihost. You need to get a different IP, preferably with a very reliable proxy service. But TOR can work, and am glad it worked in this instance.