FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Super service provider economies. How long?

chasbeen
In the future there will be online depictions of the old work setups that still exist today.

Have you been to those museums showing people working as slaves?
We are at a transition point.

One day everyone will be able to sell thier skillset. They will work when there's a job to be done and they will relax between jobs. They will sleep and eat when they need it.

How long b4 we see the 1st example service based economy?
deanhills
I don't know. For that to work the world's mindset would have to change to working for "enough to survive on" instead of "more is better as we've got to accumulate enough for retirement, the children and grand children". Which is the difference to the kind of work life style you mentioned and getting "service" people to do three days' work in 7.5 hours a day. The faster and "cheaper" they are per unit cost, the better. Which is very much the same in the end.
chasbeen
Dh
Supply and demand....
The nucleus of the Super Service Economy
Everyone will want to contribute...
Retire? Who would want to?
jmraker
With such a system I'll be able to wake up one morning and on a whim decide to fill a mid level manager job and from my bedroom manage a few first day employees also working in their bedrooms, make company decision, etc.

The next day I'd sleep, but the next day I'd wake up and work as a journalist covering the world of foreign politics in my bedroom.

What a fun way to quickly destroy from within every company or nation that participates.
deanhills
I could have done with that system this morning when I woke up. There was a mini gale wind blowing out there, with rain in the air and it was chilly Just the kind of weather to sleep in for at least a couple or more hours.
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
I could have done with that system this morning when I woke up. There was a mini gale wind blowing out there, with rain in the air and it was chilly Just the kind of weather to sleep in for at least a couple or more hours.
I did just that this morning, cold outside, wasn't in the mood, so went back to sleep. I've got a job which needs finishing before the end of the week and decided to work longer hours tomorrow and Wednesday instead. Didn't get out of bed until 1pm, it was lovely Smile
jmraker
chasbeen wrote:
How long b4 we see the 1st example service based economy?

The first example might be on TV in the Simpson or Family Guy. Homer Simpson and Peter Griffin frequently have filled a random variety of unrelated jobs on a whim plus they do plenty of relaxing and eating.
chasbeen
The best example was the job that had to be done by the end of the week.
The contractor decided to juggle his resources.
He said it felt great.

That's associated with the CRITICAL PATH.

On a project many things need doing by a certain time but there are many skills which are required at certain times and not at others.

The most inaccurate were those who assumed they would walk into any job.
That's not the way the new economies will work.
watersoul
chasbeen wrote:
The best example was the job that had to be done by the end of the week.
But if the job was to provide cover for a week then the person who agreed to be responsible is committed for that week usually.
Not all earning opportunities will have the same freedoms. If a product needs creation by a certain date then the creator has the freedom to divide that time. If a service is being provided it is usually more controlled by time the provider is expected to be available for.
It is why I charge by the job or the day depending on the opportunity in front of me.
chasbeen
Yes a committed week. A project strategy would have to exist for project success.
At the moment I am providing a unique service on an IT project

I already delivered a product but the second product is not completed,
The project supervisor does not have anyone that could provide a COMMITED WEEK
That's one of the rasons I get paid quite a lot.
I am in control but I am not complacent, I look forward to my next unpaid leave.
I'll relax but I will also do some more unique Research and development where I know my skillset will become more useful..........