FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


To Stop Spammers





cybersa
Now a days more number of peoples were joining here just for backlinks for their website.

See here:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-157617.html&highlight=
New member,he already having website in his signature.

My Suggestion:
Minimum 25post required to use link in their signature. (To Stop Signature Spammer)


Whats your suggestion to stop the Spammers?
deanhills
That's a great suggestion Cybersa. I think Truespeed made that suggestion a year or more ago as well. I'd definitely vote for that if there were someone here who could fix it for us. I don't think spam is a big problem right now however. Looks as though the staff is doing a great job to get rid of it. Now if we could just get rid of the irritating spammer who keeps posting videos in the General Chat Forum. Maybe the link thing could help for that as well.

Note: Found the thread by Truespeed - August 2012
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-141124.html#1106616
cybersa
deanhills wrote:
That's a great suggestion Cybersa. I think Truespeed made that suggestion a year or more ago as well. I'd definitely vote for that if there were someone here who could fix it for us. I don't think spam is a big problem right now however. Looks as though the staff is doing a great job to get rid of it. Now if we could just get rid of the irritating spammer who keeps posting videos in the General Chat Forum. Maybe the link thing could help for that as well.

Note: Found the thread by Truespeed - August 2012
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-141124.html#1106616


Yeah,Same 25post rule can be applied to video spammer.

I think only who have administration rights can make rules like this to this forum.
Blaster
Real good idea that I have seen work on several other forums. Probably wouldn't be that hard to implement either. If only bondings would come around and start posting again. I've also seen it where you have to get your first post or 2 approved before you can start posting. Simple things like this can really change the forum and really does count down on a lot of the spam that clutters up most forums.
sonam
The idea is good but I think it is not necessary. Maybe is easiest way to block user and delete his spam then programming the new forum feature.

Sonam
Peterssidan
It's a good suggestion because it stops much of the non-obvious spam that doesn't really break any rules but is obviously posted for the purpose to spread links. Some have argued that this is not a big problem and that these "spammers" even contribute to the forum. I don't agree.

I think this rule should apply to all links and not just signature links. Some people with very few posts post in the Advertise Your Website category. These posts would be seen as spam in other parts of the forum but not here. I think it would be preferable if people had to make a few posts and get to know the community before they can advertise/spam about their sites.
Josso
Dean in that thread you linked I mentioned trying the ACP anti-spam mod. I have tested that extensively now and it is brilliant. Certain spam words can be configured to send things to await moderator approval, profile fields like website get restricted until 5 posts, no signatures til' * amount of posts etc.

Also stopforumspam.com is a bloody brilliant resource for IPs
deanhills
Josso wrote:
Dean in that thread you linked I mentioned trying the ACP anti-spam mod. I have tested that extensively now and it is brilliant. Certain spam words can be configured to send things to await moderator approval, profile fields like website get restricted until 5 posts, no signatures til' * amount of posts etc.

Also stopforumspam.com is a bloody brilliant resource for IPs
Great stuff Josso. And completely agreed stopforumspam.com is brilliant. It has a great Forum as well.
rx9876
25 posts is not a very effective threshold for spammers.
If those new account are just want to create backlinks,
they will post many articles to create pages for search engines to scan backlinks.

Maybe a better anti-spam posting system will help.
For example, a Captcha system.
sonam
rx9876 wrote:
25 posts is not a very effective threshold for spammers.
If those new account are just want to create backlinks,
they will post many articles to create pages for search engines to scan backlinks.

Maybe a better anti-spam posting system will help.
For example, a Captcha system.


The problem (I think) are not links because all is set no follow what mean search engine didn't follow it. I think the goals is members and clicks on link what is problem because members loose time to open and read post and unnecessary work for admins.

Sonam
Peterssidan
Never click spam links! That will show the spammers Frihost is worth spamming. If you really want to check a suspect link copy paste the URL in the address bar so that they don't see Frihost as the referrer.
sonam
Peterssidan wrote:
Never click spam links! That will show the spammers Frihost is worth spamming. If you really want to check a suspect link copy paste the URL in the address bar so that they don't see Frihost as the referrer.


Yeah, I never click on any SPAM link. Not, only here but on my mail, other forums, etc.

Sonam
cybersa
Peterssidan wrote:
Never click spam links! That will show the spammers Frihost is worth spamming. If you really want to check a suspect link copy paste the URL in the address bar so that they don't see Frihost as the referrer.


But spam links will helpful for getting Backlinks for them.
Peterssidan
cybersa wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:
Never click spam links! That will show the spammers Frihost is worth spamming. If you really want to check a suspect link copy paste the URL in the address bar so that they don't see Frihost as the referrer.
But spam links will helpful for getting Backlinks for them.

Do you mean it will help them rank in search engines? I don't think so. All links are marked rel="nofollow" and signatures are not even visible to guest visitors.
rx9876
Peterssidan wrote:
cybersa wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:
Never click spam links! That will show the spammers Frihost is worth spamming. If you really want to check a suspect link copy paste the URL in the address bar so that they don't see Frihost as the referrer.
But spam links will helpful for getting Backlinks for them.

Do you mean it will help them rank in search engines? I don't think so. All links are marked rel="nofollow" and signatures are not even visible to guest visitors.


If the signatures are hidden to guests, the problem solved.
They will not get any backlinks from firhost.
Good news.
Hope them will know it someday and stop posting spam for backlinks.
johans
i agree. there should be active administrators to check the spams and delete them or i suggest before that there should be a button to report to administrators that the topic is a SPAM.

I admit there are times i open the subject which is a spam and i was very disappointed, the time i read and the subject i open which is a spam.
deanhills
johans wrote:
i agree. there should be active administrators to check the spams and delete them or i suggest before that there should be a button to report to administrators that the topic is a SPAM.

I admit there are times i open the subject which is a spam and i was very disappointed, the time i read and the subject i open which is a spam.
Johans. This is usually something the Mods do. And they're doing a pretty good job here. And there are links for reporting either the post, topic or the user for spamming. As per the example below:



What CyberSa is suggesting is to disallow links in signatures of the first 25 posts so as to discourage the spammers from spamming here.
cybersa
Peterssidan wrote:
cybersa wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:
Never click spam links! That will show the spammers Frihost is worth spamming. If you really want to check a suspect link copy paste the URL in the address bar so that they don't see Frihost as the referrer.
But spam links will helpful for getting Backlinks for them.

Do you mean it will help them rank in search engines? I don't think so. All links are marked rel="nofollow" and signatures are not even visible to guest visitors.


Yeah,If it so,then no problem.
But it will take some memory in the database.
catscratches
I think this is a good suggestion. Or alternatively, require captcha validation for posting links for very new users (could even extend to regular posts).
Peterssidan
catscratches wrote:
I think this is a good suggestion. Or alternatively, require captcha validation for posting links for very new users (could even extend to regular posts).

They have to fill in a CAPTCHA when signing up so they will probably not have any problems handling the CAPTCHA again.
catscratches
Peterssidan wrote:
They have to fill in a CAPTCHA when signing up so they will probably not have any problems handling the CAPTCHA again.
True. What captcha system is it?
Peterssidan
catscratches wrote:
What captcha system is it?

It's the kind of captcha where you write the symbols that you see in an image. It's not the default phpBB but maybe it could be made a bit harder. I don't know but if it uses some premade captcha plugin because that is probably more likely to be broken. Why not let the user enter the letters in reverse or something clever that is still easy for humans to do? Or would this catch humans because they simply input what they see without reading what to do?
germanshepherd
stopforumspam.com is a great site to check spammers info.One of the best in my opinion
germanshepherd
it looks like user Jeramy_Pal12 ( 204.74.223.250) is a known spammer (info from the stopforumspam site)
cybersa
germanshepherd wrote:
stopforumspam.com is a great site to check spammers info.One of the best in my opinion


I don't think it is 100% correct.
Because sometimes real user will have the same username as spammer.
germanshepherd
you only need to check the ip anyway and it usually matches up
zimmer
cybersa wrote:
Now a days more number of peoples were joining here just for backlinks for their website.

See here:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-157617.html&highlight=
New member,he already having website in his signature.

My Suggestion:
Minimum 25post required to use link in their signature. (To Stop Signature Spammer)


Whats your suggestion to stop the Spammers?


I have check the link but its empty.

I think that suggestion is not good. that interfere manual monitoring and its hard to check signature one by one.

That would be good if the frihost member found that it is spam and reported to moderator and the one who report get additional 25 points credit on his points.

Catpcha would be good also to avoid this in registration.
cybersa
zimmer wrote:
cybersa wrote:
Now a days more number of peoples were joining here just for backlinks for their website.

See here:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-157617.html&highlight=
New member,he already having website in his signature.

My Suggestion:
Minimum 25post required to use link in their signature. (To Stop Signature Spammer)


Whats your suggestion to stop the Spammers?


I have check the link but its empty.

I think that suggestion is not good. that interfere manual monitoring and its hard to check signature one by one.

That would be good if the frihost member found that it is spam and reported to moderator and the one who report get additional 25 points credit on his points.

Catpcha would be good also to avoid this in registration.


Reporting is a good idea.
I agree with you.
If more post were reported from same user then we can remove them and block them with ip.
Related topics
My free Classifieds site....
FriHost Spammers come out in force!
Fines
Spammers fraudulently using your domain name
http://www.spamcop.net/ ?
E-Mail Icon Generator
My forum keeps getting swarmed by spammers
You have exceeded the allotted amount of posts and will not
Spam on phpBB forums
O.o Email / Webmail help!
How Does FriHost Stop Spammers
Signatures
Episode and Season
Require E-mail verification
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.