FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How much memory?

angelo
My operating system is Windows XP. I want to know if how much RAM is required for my computer to run properly under the said OS. My computer currently has 128MB of RAM but then I find out that this isn't enough as my computer often logged when I open certain applications such as photoshop for an instance. Laughing
mwm
Photoshop on 128mb RAM must be gross.

I have run Windows XP on a Celeron 1ghz with 128mb RAM. It is not something I recommed for the easily frustrated. With 256 the machine did a bit better. XP is kind of a pig. The more resources you can throw at it the better off you'll be.

If you plan on Photoshopping, boost that RAM quite a bit.

-mwm
SunburnedCactus
You should have at least 256mb for running XP. For Photoshop you want at least double that to have it running anywhere near proper speed.
gh0stface
The more memory the better. The standards for memory now adays is pretty much 512MB. However, 1 gig may be the new standard soon.
ddfreaks
mwm wrote:
Photoshop on 128mb RAM must be gross.

I have run Windows XP on a Celeron 1ghz with 128mb RAM. It is not something I recommed for the easily frustrated. With 256 the machine did a bit better. XP is kind of a pig. The more resources you can throw at it the better off you'll be.

If you plan on Photoshopping, boost that RAM quite a bit.

-mwm

my brother used windows XP pro. on an pent 2 300mhz with only 64 MB of memory. Shocked
RA
For Windows XP to just boot up without having to swap to hard drive, you need about 384 MB of RAM. Any programs that you run should be considered above that 384 MB. In other words, if you have a program that uses 100 MB of RAM, then consider that you will want to have at least 484 MB of RAM. In realistic terms, this means that 512 MB is the minimum you want, unless you plan on waiting for programs to swap to/from hard disk.

For large programs, like some newer games, development tools, and video/audio/image editing software, you should really have at least 768 MB of RAM, with 1 GB being a good amount for multitasking.

P.S. The amount of memory you need for base Windows can be reduced by tweaking the services and programs that you run during startup. If you have under 384 MB of RAM, I highly recommend you do this as it can cut your boot times in half, and reduce the need to swap to disk during regular use.
SunburnedCactus
Swapping to disk will always happen unless you have at least 784mb of RAM in order to run Windows from RAM. But I don't know why you'd want to do that. Disk swapping occurs frequently in any computer unless you've really got loads of RAM (like 2Gb or more).
ddfreaks
SunburnedCactus wrote:
Swapping to disk will always happen unless you have at least 784mb of RAM in order to run Windows from RAM. But I don't know why you'd want to do that. Disk swapping occurs frequently in any computer unless you've really got loads of RAM (like 2Gb or more).

2gb isn't much you know. 200 gb. that is much.
gonzo
For XP to run smoothly with NOTHING ELSE you need AT LEAST 512megs of ram. If you want to run more intense applications add more ram. If you want a smooth photoshop experience use 2 gigs of ram.

Have AT LEAST TWO physicial hard drives. One for your OS and one for your page file
ddfreaks
with ram memory you only need to have 32MB or 64MB for windows XP
and you only need an pent 2 233mhz
TheGeek
the minimum for XP alone is 256 though i have heard it running on as low as 128. With 128 though, i would highly recommend you not try to run PhotoShop lol. I have 512MB RAM and i have problems running my web browser and PhotoShop with XP sometimes.
bananaphone
You need a minimum of 256MB of RAM to RUN XP.
To run it PROPERLY you need 512.
To run it properly AND run other applications properly you need 1GB of RAM.
corey
512M or more is a good idea for Photoshop, as is a processor above 1Ghz.

As far as the minimum for XP, I haven't reached it yet. I installed XP with 64MB ram on a P-II 350mhz. It can be done. Running with the "classic" theme was as tloerable as Windows 98 was on my P-I with 48MB. It can be done (but I wouldn't do photo editing with that box - although there was a version of Photoshop back when that equipment was new).
Helios
256 - good for office use.

512 - somewhat gaming and graphics.
adlamb
I have installed XP to 2 computers with only 64MB SDRAM and it works and it useable but sluggish. 128 or 256 would be more suitable.
Having said that, i run 1Gb of DDR.
Daniel15
I'm currently running Photoshop 7, Opera, FileZilla and Dreamweaver 8 on my Pentium 3 866mHz with 320MB memory and Windows XP. It can be done. I used to use 192MB memory and it worked fine!

I've run Photoshop 7 on a Pentium 2 350mHz with 128MB ram and Windows XP. A bit slow, but it works!
mark
512 is the minimum for Windows XP. My compute currently has 320 MB of RAM and it is a fair bit slower than my parents's computer which has 1 Gigabyte of RAM.

Although XP works with 128, certain applications will not work like photoshop, internet security softwares and macromedia flash. So, although 256 is acceptable, take 512, 768 or more.
manas
opt for a min of 512 MB.if you have the money opt for 1GB.
thermaltake
I recently put a new combo drive into my old pc. since i have out the combo drive in the computer has slowed down. the pc runs on windows me and has a 40 gb hdd. the ram is 64 mb. what can i do to optimize the performance of the pc so that the pc runs faster. also how can i modify my pc to load quicker on startups. i changed the system configuration so that minimal things load on starup but the pc still takes about at mx 7 mins to load. some can sumone please help me.
Hikaru
512 MB memory for Gaming/Imaging? I really doubt that. Depending on your processor, your system may be really poor at multi tasking and heavy graphics rendering (video card?) If you try to run a few big programs such as games/photoshop at once under 512MB memory, you'll get system lag, more or less. The standard is definately 1 GB. From 512 MB to 1 GB RAM I noticed a huge performance increase in all tasks, gaming, photoshopping, movies, etc.
angelo
I think my computer is near to be obsolete! He..he..Thanks anyway! I think I'd better purchase another memory or buy another computer!
n0xvb
angelo wrote:
I think my computer is near to be obsolete! He..he..Thanks anyway! I think I'd better purchase another memory or buy another computer!

Do what I did... Trash XP and install Linux! Very Happy
LordSata
If you plan to play games or use program such Autocad or other (make a divx from a dvd) i advise you that must use at minimum 512 MB...
windval
angelo wrote:
My operating system is Windows XP. I want to know if how much RAM is required for my computer to run properly under the said OS. My computer currently has 128MB of RAM but then I find out that this isn't enough as my computer often logged when I open certain applications such as photoshop for an instance. Laughing

i think you have to update your computer!!

128MB is not enough nowaday
kennyq3a
The bare minimum is 512MB DDR. However I would prefer at least 512DDR Dual channeled (256 x 2) but in reality, 512 x 2 is the most preferred for gaming and more high performance use. DDR400 is fine unless if you want to OC your FSB on the CPU, then get higher than that (I have DDR500). 128MB is only good for oldschool Windows OS.
asmiller08
If you are going to be doing anything other than web browsing and text editing, I would recommend at least 512 mb. You can get it really cheap these days (512 for around $30-$40). However, if you will be doing memory intensive applications (image and especially video editing) I would recommend 1gb of name-brand memory. More than 1gb is overkill in my opinion- computers wont need more than 1gb for a while, especially if its good quality memory.

-Andy
Arnie
256MB is the minimum for usable XP, including standard applications like Office. My XP runs smoothly with 248MB (8 went to onboard VGA) but I did tweak it a lot. If I were you I'd install 98SE or 2000 to a computer with 128MB.
Pikokola
hey hey.....
256 is the Minimum requirement for XP (of course with another crappy requirement, then, if you have play around in the software worlds (or almost always), you might be meet some sorftware, or may be games, that have a good grapfic but a very low requirement (lik PII 64MB Ram, VGA card compatible or another crappy ones),

but what happend if you run it using the minimum requirement, yap.. it's running, but how about the performance? Forget that, I 've warn you, It's the minimum requirement, one more time minimum...

I think if you had something lik that, I prefer you to buy a new computer, and 512MB rams with Intel P4 2.6Ghz, and PCI Express integrated VGA card (it will eat for about 8~16 mb of your ram,

but it's could run Photosop shoftly, Very Happy
Gerardus™
Hi,
If you have less then 256mb ram and want to gain some resources, then tweak xp en set it to best performance. That way it will run little faster, also the startup programs, only start up the important programs like firewalls or antivirusprograms, the more free memory the better..
Photoshop use clipboard alot and that's also your ram memory, the more you do in photoshop the fuller it gets. So if it starts to run slow exit the program and empty the clipboard, even better to boot up again to gain free ram again.
Since i have 1gb ram, i don't have any problems running xp or other programs, so it's true, the more memory, the better.
Greetz Wink
niceboy
the more ,the better
konceptz
the minimum requirement for somewhat of a smooth cruise on xp would usually be 256mb
hodgenpodg
go for 512 that should be pretty decent for photoshop plus alot of other things
aalmighty
I have 512 but soon will be upgrading to a gig (when I take my comp. to college hostel). XP worked fine with 256 Megs with 64 shared, as long as you don't play counterstrike on it. It's a P-4 2.66 Ghz by the way, but XP works fine with my other box (AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (1.67 Ghz) 256MB, 8MB Shared) and I use a lot of programs like Mathematica and Photoshop.

A coupla things to speed it up, increase your pagefile to a greater size and if possible, spread it out across multiple HDD partitions. This will speed up your programs, but slow down the startup, and use msconfig to remove startup entries you don't use. You may have some spyware, use MS Antispyware (It's free!) and HiJackThis to remove them.

Cheerio!
eday2010
I've run XP on a Duron 850Mhz with 128 megs of RAM. Windows ran fine iwth a couple browser windows and winamp going. Photoshop ran, but somewhat slowly, as did 3D Studio MAX. They were kind of slow, but not ungainly slow. It's not like I sat there waiting and waiting to change an anchor point in Max because of system lag. I also ran GTA 3 on the same machine with 384 Megs of RAM and a 32 meg video card. Not ideal by far, but it worked, sorta!

My new machine is a P4 3Ghz with a 256 meg video card. It had 512 of RAM in it now, but I will be taking that out and putting 2 gigs in, so it should be nice and juicy! Then I can use Max to render my own hookers to beat up!
headlong
I am majoring in CS. Actually it is more important to have more memory than to have a faster CPU. If there is not much memory, your OS will try to dump things to disk frequently. Here is how I configured my computer (using Win XP):

1. Use a cheap CPU. Cerelon is ok.
2. Buy at least 1G memory
3. No page file at all.

Hope it helps
technology.sponge
depends on ur usage -
windows xp will run on 128mb but will be sluggish nd apps will b running off virtual memory

384mb should be enough for normal usage i.e. an explorer windows, 2 internet explorer windows, word and windows mp

id suggest 512mb for anything more, the explorer in xp is ram hungry

1gigabyte is only needed for hardcore game fans or power users who edit/render video/graphics
FriBogdan
I don't have more things to say, because i'm sure that u are already convinced that 256 ram is the limit if u want to use Win XP. I have 256 ram and when i have more programs installed on my PC...even if they are not active, the speed is reduced drastically. I have to clean my TEMP folder, Prefect, to defragment my HDD or registry very often. I will buy some additional ram. I should know that from 256 RAM to 512 is a VERY BIG difference. So...my advice is or u buy some ram or u should try WIN 2000. It is stable and it needs less ram than XP. Most programs work on WIN 2K so....it is your decision.
KHO
256 should be the minimum, but l've got 512 and photoshop CS2 is stll kinda unresponsive at times, try going for a gig if you can afford it, if you are on a desktop you can probable just get a 512 and two 256 sticks and that will total up to a gig. for a notebook, you will probably have to just get one gb stick as the older notebooks dont have two RAM slots, if yours does, then good job, just get two 512mb and XP/Photoshop/Whatever else your mind can fancy will work beutifully!
tiancongxin
256M is not enough,next month i'll take another 512M RAM ,running XP will be perfect.
vic_msn
Running XP with only 128MB of RAM can really frustrate you,XP is unlike some of windows early versions and has some eye candy features.
So i would recommend 256MB even that is minimal cofiguration.So depending on your budget you can go for 512MB that will sufficient.
deus
If you add more RAM, you should consider increasing your virtual memory.
(Go to My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Performance -> Properties -> Advanced)

If you have 256 Mb of RAM, your virtual memory should be 397,5 Mb.
If you have 512 Mb of RAM, your virtual memory should be 768 Mb.
If you have 768 Mb of RAM, your virtual memory should be 1152 Mb.
If you have 1 Gig of RAM, your virtual memory should be 1536 Mb.

It always has to be your current amount of RAM x 1,5.
You should also lock it.
Like This:
Minimum Size: 1536Mb
Maximum Size: 1536Mb

I'd recommend a minimum of 1 gigabyte of RAM to run everything smoothly and without errors. Windows requires a minimum of 256 Mb
abhinav_shah
Although Microsoft says 128 MB of RAM is good enough to run Windows XP, my experience says that 256 MB is required to run it properly.
leodv
128Mb of ram is bare minimum, as long as you don't run much services and software, with anti spyware and anti virus, the load on the virtual memory is high, therefore 256Mb would be recommended. 512Mb is minimum for media authoring as they demand much more memory for processing. Currently i feel that 1Gb is the average amount of ram gamer and developers should go for, unless they wish to keep their harddisk to be that hardworking, for the virtual memory.
Rocky3478
Well, if you want zero lag in XP, I'd say 1 Gig minimum. Now add Photoshop on to that, and you'll need 1.5 to 2 Gigs of RAM to run stably.... I ran Photoshop CS2 for a bit on a machine with XP SP2 and 1 gig of RAM, and I wouldn't recommend anything less then that, even for only occasional PS usage...
asfaltboy
Rocky3478 wrote:
Well, if you want zero lag in XP, I'd say 1 Gig minimum. Now add Photoshop on to that, and you'll need 1.5 to 2 Gigs of RAM to run stably.... I ran Photoshop CS2 for a bit on a machine with XP SP2 and 1 gig of RAM, and I wouldn't recommend anything less then that, even for only occasional PS usage...

I agree .. I've been testing a lot of memory options ... 768 is a good alternative for the low budget because it still runs winxp great.. but if u intend to run serious software (photoshop or maybe even 3dsoft) i'd reccomend at least a gig.. and if ur a gamer as well (lineage2 anyone?) I'd go with at least 1.5 gig .. that is what im running at this minute and it's pretty stable ... I've been running my comp for weeks without the need to restart once and it still runs smoothly Smile ...

plus .. if ur talking about SDRam then maybe u should consider upgrading the whole system (namely the motherboard) as DDRam should increase performance under xp heavily ...
Dino
if you want to play a new games you should take 1gb, not more
Quake
Yes, it is true, the more the merrier, but generally I stop seeing performance improvement after I pass the gigabyte barrier heading over to 2 gigs. I try to keep about a gig in pc's I use regularly, and 512 - 1gig in computers that perform less intensive tasks like background downloading and word-processing. More cost effective that way. No sence really to pay for all that ram and not have ur system use it. But at the same time it is nice to have about a gig, maybee a little bit more for hardcore gaming and digital graphics, although your CPU would be a huge factor in this too, but thats a whole new topic in of it self Smile . Hope that was helpful..
tsylvest
The more the better. I say bare-minimum 512mb, but go for 1 gig if you can afford it.
tanapat
Hi I think minimum is 256 but if you want to used 512 is recoment for general used and 1024 for develope .Net Application or Graphic work
mark
That's right. 128 is bad for Windows XP. You need a minimum of 256 to operate XP and 512 or more to run muiltiple applications at the same time. Try upgrading your computer. That might surely help. Also, memory doesn't cost much these days. So you are better off buying something like 512 MB to equal about 640 MB.
Kydha
Hell there,

I currently have 1g and for PS it is a good deal i think. because with windows (with the softs like the firewall... the virus protection and so on) i already have 250 Mo used. and launching PS make use 80Mo more.

So 330 Mo already lost.

Now if you use some real hard effects.... you'll wait.... A LOT with less than 1g.

In general case... the most you can have... the best it is for you computer.
donoob88
it is better to upgrade to 1gb or 2gb memory. because it is more cheaper than 2 512mb ram and it is more faster. but ask the store if your computer can support 1gb, i think if it can't support it, it is useless, and make a video card to 1gb too, buy an external one, don't use the build-in video card cause it will affect the quickness of the video and ram, build in video card eats memory from your memory card. example you have 512mb memory card, if you have build in video card, the 512mb will be decrease cause the build in video card will use some of it Wink
lovescience
It probably was a time when one or two 256MB Ram was a standard.

Then came a 512 MB Ram. And two to make a 1 GB.

Then there was a 1 GB. So the two 1 GB makes a 2 GB.

Then there was a 2 GB...

Usually newer motherboard supports higher Ram. And this Ram would be more available in store because of the newer motherboard.

The newer computer or updated computer should be able to perform much more and faster because of having higher Ram.
k_s_baskar
donoob88 wrote:
it is better to upgrade to 1gb or 2gb memory. because it is more cheaper than 2 512mb ram and it is more faster. but ask the store if your computer can support 1gb, i think if it can't support it, it is useless, and make a video card to 1gb too, buy an external one, don't use the build-in video card cause it will affect the quickness of the video and ram, build in video card eats memory from your memory card. example you have 512mb memory card, if you have build in video card, the 512mb will be decrease cause the build in video card will use some of it Wink

Nice advice. But the thread was started in 2005. Exclamation
ujjwalshrestha
Try crucial.com

Great website if you are thinking of upgrading your RAM. It will tell you what you've got, what's compatible, and make a recommendation to increase performance!
Using it's free scanning tool will walk you through the process from the brand of computer to the model. it will tell you not only what type of RAM to purchase but the MAX your system will support. This is very important since so many people Cram RAM and then complain that they don't see improvement in preformance. It also has the best prices by far as well as very fast shipping.